R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-04-2009, 02:36 AM   #76
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Well said mojoman, but I also think the history will repeat. Nature of 'racing' means competition (to me). If you're not trying to win a 'race' and simply run around the track w/ others (i.e. bashing on a race track), the slash will be fantastic as it's cheap, stout, etc...
But, if you're 'racing' on a track to lap faster than the guy next to you, well then sc10 or other trucks will eventually take over and change how slash is defining the class now (assuming that other scale looking trucks can join this class). How much of 'scale look' is required to be in a CORR class? I don't think there is an answer now, but faster/ better truck will over take the class eventually.

Even with that said, I think that Slash is not a fad per se, but a well placed product to increase enjoyment of the hobby to many.

Last edited by verticalpilot; 04-04-2009 at 02:47 AM.
verticalpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:37 AM   #77
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drperry Send a message via MSN to drperry Send a message via Yahoo to drperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
I'd still like to see someone make an effort at racing a linked solid axle truck in the SCT class. Even a trailing independent suspension (such as what's used on sandrails and Class 1 buggies) would be neat. And would Associated PLEASE make an accessory full rollcage for the SC10 the same way the SC8's is made?
Well, technically, I could slap some slash tires on my Clodbuster, unhook the front motor and it'll be 2wd

If these things were built to be scale replicas of the real thing, they'd all have solid axles out back...

I might just have a go at converting my Tamiya Touraeg (or however the spell it...) to an SC style truck... Just for the 4-link solid axle setup it currently has
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #78
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane View Post
Where do you see Slash going in the future? How much of this is "class of the month"?
I think the Slash is responsible for the new and popular class of CORR trucks that is emerging. Unless other companies can match the value of a $200 "race ready" RTR, the Slash wont be going anywhere. It wont be as dominant anymore because of competition from AE and other CORR trucks that will surely be coming out. With AE jumping on board with the SC10, I think this is just the beginning and not a "fad".
Associated FT T4.2
blade329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 01:11 PM   #79
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MojoManDan View Post
The Slash has most probably helped local hobby shops turn a profit (shops that have been struggling to stay in business) .............I want to race at real tracks, with my Slash!
If you knew anything about "profit margins" or the markup of kits you would know that almost any hobby shop owner would tell you that if they had to survive off selling kits that they'd be out of business within a month. The money is in parts, accessories, and hop-ups which sell for full retail ~ while RTR kits and today's slim mark-ups on them are killing hobby shops a slow death.

If you want to continue to have "real tracks" to race at it might be time to consider that Traxass does not support ROAR as an affiliate or RC racing in any manner, and that without ROAR that most tracks would discontinue operation because they wouldn't be able to afford outside insurance that ROAR provides to any member club or track as part of their cheap annual membership fee.

I'm not bashing anyone, just trying to give you something(s) to think about.

Last edited by Lightin'; 04-04-2009 at 01:31 PM.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 PM   #80
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
If you knew anything about "profit margins" or the markup of kits you would know that almost any hobby shop owner would tell you that if they had to survive off selling kits that they'd be out of business within a month. The money is in parts, accessories, and hop-ups which sell for full retail ~ while RTR kits and today's slim mark-ups on them are killing hobby shops a slow death.

If you want to continue to have "real tracks" to race at it might be time to consider that Traxass does not support ROAR as an affiliate or RC racing in any manner, and that without ROAR that most tracks would discontinue operation because they wouldn't be able to afford outside insurance that ROAR provides to any member club or track as part of their cheap annual membership fee.

Yea, I was going to point this out earlier but didn't... If anything Hobby shops don't like to sell these because they sell less parts. Sure some people will hop it up but they probably get the parts online.

To Vertical, sure the Class will probably be around a while. But the Slash will become the rustler of the stadium truck class. Traxxas does not support the RC hobby nearly as much as other companys. Just look at the REVO....
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #81
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post

Lightin',

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the importance of considering profit margins. But I do know two hobby shop owners who rent Slashes, and I am sure there are more. As one of the owners stated, it's a great way to bring people into the store, and get them interested in RC. Neither one of them said anything negative about the Slash, or Traxxas. If this product was delivering them a slow death, I would think these business owners would not have so willingly shared the Slash's accolades with me.

I was aware that Traxxas does not support ROAR, but choose not to take issue with them on that point. After all, they do have an important niche in the hobby, whether they produce racers or bashers, or whether they support racing at all.

Anyway, we are getting a bit off topic here (regarding the question of whether the Slash is a Fad), so I'll just continue to read what the more experienced folks have to say as I am, admittedly, quite new to this hobby.
MojoManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 10:56 PM   #82
Tech Regular

Quote:
Lightin',

I wholeheartedly agree with you on the importance of considering profit margins. But I do know two hobby shop owners who rent Slashes, and I am sure there are more. As one of the owners stated, it's a great way to bring people into the store, and get them interested in RC. Neither one of them said anything negative about the Slash, or Traxxas. If this product was delivering them a slow death, I would think these business owners would not have so willingly shared the Slash's accolades with me.

I was aware that Traxxas does not support ROAR, but choose not to take issue with them on that point. After all, they do have an important niche in the hobby, whether they produce racers or bashers, or whether they support racing at all.

Anyway, we are getting a bit off topic here (regarding the question of whether the Slash is a Fad), so I'll just continue to read what the more experienced folks have to say as I am, admittedly, quite new to this hobby.
I think you mis-read Lightin's post, He is saying that Hobby shops Don't make their profits from RC kits. Which They don't, the money comes in from parts, fuel, hop-ups, and so on. I managed a hobby shop for a few years so I know this first hand. He meant RC kits in general not the Slash in particular.

Not sure if it's off-topic, the creator didn't state if it was a basher fad or Racer fad, think about it that way.... And what is experienced to you? I have been in it 10+ years but I guess that's not enough
Old 04-05-2009, 09:53 AM   #83
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM20 View Post
I think you mis-read Lightin's post, He is saying that Hobby shops Don't make their profits from RC kits. Which They don't, the money comes in from parts, fuel, hop-ups, and so on. I managed a hobby shop for a few years so I know this first hand. He meant RC kits in general not the Slash in particular.

Not sure if it's off-topic, the creator didn't state if it was a basher fad or Racer fad, think about it that way.... And what is experienced to you? I have been in it 10+ years but I guess that's not enough
If I misinterpreted Lightin's post, then I apologize to him.

What is experienced to me? Difficult question to answer. But I can say that I am a true newcomer as driving my Slash one time constitutes my experience with 1/10 scale. I have only two 1/18 races under my belt, with no other experience at that scale (including zero bashing). I am continuing to learn where even what many people consider to be the basics (caster, camber, shock oil, charging rates) are in fact new to me.

Continuous learning continues to fuel my interest in this hobby .
MojoManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #84
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM20 View Post

Quote:

What is experienced to me? Difficult question to answer. But I can say that I am a true newcomer as driving my Slash one time constitutes my experience with 1/10 scale. I have only two 1/18 races under my belt, with no other experience at that scale (including zero bashing). I am continuing to learn where even what many people consider to be the basics (caster, camber, shock oil, charging rates) are in fact new to me.

No worries, and I don't think there is any right or wrong answer.

I would guess that this thread was started relative to racing since this is more of a racer's forum than it is a basher's forum as it is less like beatyourtruck.com or some others I can think of off the top of my head.

I wasn't saying that the slthrash was delivering traxass a slow death, it has made them a ton of money, but instead what I was referencing was the fact that as a "racer's hobby" or racing on the whole that if we think RTRs or companies uninterested in racing help the hobby grow with their lesser-performing options that any of us in the hobby for racing are in for a slow death.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:42 AM   #85
Tech Regular

Quote:

What I'm about to say does not reflect to everyone and there are some that are machines when it comes to racing. In General, 1/10th scale is harder to drive and takes alot more skill to wheel. It will also make you a better driver to run 10th scale then go back to 8th. 8th Is much, much easier to drive IMO