R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #61
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM20 View Post
Like I said from the beginning the SCT class will be around but the slash will not. It will turn into the "kid that shows up with the rustler to race with T4's and XXX-T's."
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 03:41 PM   #62
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
I still run my 10T

But that is what I was getting at.

If there was a Frog class today, that started when the frog came out, would it still be a class? Is what I was meaning.
I had to run my Frog against RC10's back in the mid 80's
Old 04-02-2009, 04:53 PM   #63
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I had to run my Frog against RC10's back in the mid 80's
Yet we don't see a single one in your signature line.
What happened, finally saw the light ??
Old 04-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #64
Suspended

Quote:
I still run my 10T

But that is what I was getting at.

If there was a Frog class today, that started when the frog came out, would it still be a class? Is what I was meaning.

The RC10, along with others and progression, helped put the frog to rest. The slash is great, as the frog was in its hay day, but if AE and others make a similar truck, better and more expensive, will we see the same thing.

I like the slash, but I also feel that if its not a slash specific class it may not hold its popularity as much as it is now.

Either way, right or wrong, its just my opinion, nothing more.
My question then would be WOULD YOU BE HAPPY STILL RUNNING Frogs ??
I think we ALL know better.

There have been a ton of vehicle-specific spec classes over the last 15 years, and not one lasted more than a year or two. Would you prefer the class and the slash go that route, or would you prefer to see the class grow because other manufacturers are accepted into the class creating interest amoungst drivers that wouldn't be caught dead in a traxass product.
Old 04-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #65
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
My question then would be WOULD YOU BE HAPPY STILL RUNNING Frogs ??
I think we ALL know better.

There have been a ton of vehicle-specific spec classes over the last 15 years, and not one lasted more than a year or two. Would you prefer the class and the slash go that route, or would you prefer to see the class grow because other manufacturers are accepted into the class creating interest amoungst drivers that wouldn't be caught dead in a traxass product.
Kind of both, though I know its not possible.

On one hand I would like to see it grow and progress. On the other hand I would like to see a $200 to $300 class where anyone can compete on equal equiptment.

Oh the shenangans
Old 04-02-2009, 05:30 PM   #66
Tech Fanatic

Quote:

On one hand I would like to see it grow and progress. On the other hand I would like to see a $200 to $300 class where anyone can compete on equal equiptment.

Oh the shenangans
Thats why you get enough racers with oldschool 10T's and make an old school classs lol
Old 04-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #67
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:

Oh the shenangans
It will never happen, The only way it would happen is to have a TRUE spec class, and as YOU posted earlier I THINK I'm to lazy to check. "Spec Classes Are Boring" So tell mee how to have your cake and eat it too?
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 05:44 PM   #68
Tech Regular

It was OTE not you, My bad!
Old 04-02-2009, 05:57 PM   #69
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by airwoods View Post
I race in sedan,with the sedan class its so competitive and can be costly and time consuming trying to find the best set-ups to be on top for that day,there are guys out there with a dozen or more tire compounds and inserts struggling to get the most out of their car and i'm heading that way myself dont get me wrong a lot of guys love that and is part of the hobby..
This is Like The ACTUAL Sport of Nascar... Well it use to be untill they went to a spec tire... That is for a whole nother thread.... Take rally car or go kart or pretty much any full scale racing.

When they go to a event, they don't just bring 1 tire and hope it works, they bring a trailor of them. They usually have a spare car or bike incase of major damage during practice or if an engine blows. They even tune the suspension and other things.

Sounds pretty real to me...

You have to understand certain classes cost more to be competitive in that class.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:01 PM   #70
Suspended

Quote:

Oh the shenangans
Have you ever run a Frog or Hornet. I think if you had that you wouldn't be suggesting it.

Maybe it's just easier for me to accept things today, because I find today's cars cheap. Even back in the day Frogs cost almost 100-bucks with mechanical speed controls, and RC10s were over 100 with NO electronics and you had to assemble them and half the parts had to be worked on replaced before you took the track (8-hour assembly time).
So considering inflation, 200-300 today is dirt cheap considering what you get with them and that they're pre-assembled. Any idiot can have an RC today, and back in the day the only RTRs came from radioshack.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:11 PM   #71
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I did have a hornet for a little while but never had it on a track, so that dosnt count, really, though I do know where your coming from.

I think it took me almost 2 days to build the 10T when I bought it new. What was an esc?? I still have a mechanical one in the tool box just because I cant throw it away.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:15 PM   #72
Suspended

Quote:
I did have a hornet for a little while but never had it on a track, so that dosnt count, really, though I do know where your coming from.

I think it took me almost 2 days to build the 10T when I bought it new. What was an esc?? I still have a mechanical one in the tool box just because I cant throw it away.
My first Novak ESC cost 100-bucks in the late 1980s, what's that in today's money?

Everything costs more today, except for RC stuff, and people still want to insist on running cheaper than we did back in the day. Comparably-speaking it would be like IF we could buy gas today for $1 a gallon (1980s price) and people were bitching because they couldn't buy it for 50-cents a gallon. Just doesn't make any sense.

Last edited by Lightin'; 04-02-2009 at 06:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #73
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Yet we don't see a single one in your signature line.
What happened, finally saw the light ??

That was like over 20 years ago....who knows where it ended up....prob at my parents house in a box in the attic.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:22 PM   #74
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDB View Post
I love my Slash so much, that I am going to try to get my nephew one.

He is not like all the other boys his age. He was born with HLHS which basicly means the left side of his heart was undeveloped when he was born. He has been through four open heart surgeries since he was 3 days old.

He can't play physical sports like basketball, baseball, or football. So I thought he could get into r/c car racing.

This weekend I'll let him run my Slash and see how he likes it.
So, did your nephew enjoy the Slash?

Getting back to the original question, I do believe that the Slash may be a fad, since it has been the only 1/10 RTR SC truck available for the past year or so, and at a very tantalizing price as well. Once the other major players enter the 1/10 scale SC class with their own kits and RTRs, Slash sales will probably taper off...it's only natural when more choices are available. However, for the down and out victims of a slow economy, Slashes will continue to bring smiles for years to come because they will be the most cost-effective and durable way to have fun in the 1/10 RC world. The beauty of the Slash is that it is an inexpensive basher that can be raced. It may not be a great racer, but then again, many racing machines cannot survive a good bashing. I'd rather have the option to do both with one vehicle, as I am on a tight budget like many.

Will the SC class itself be a fad? I hope not, for the simple reason that these trucks more closely resemble their full-scale counterparts than the stadium trucks, truggies, and buggies we've been accustomed to for many years. To me, operating a realistic-looking vehicle (plane, boat, or car) has more of a visceral impact.

But for people to put the Slash down because it is made by Traxxas and is not a "pure bred racer" is just plain ridiculous. It has filled a very important niche, and has not only introduced a new class to RC, it has also brought many more people into this hobby due to the fun factor and relatively low startup cost. The Slash has most probably helped local hobby shops turn a profit (shops that have been struggling to stay in business) , and has provided additional activities for Cub Scouts, underpriviledged kids, and the physically disabled since hobby shop owners rent them out, knowing that these vehicles can take a beating and bring smiles to all the faces. Will hobby shop owners rent out the SC10s and other "race-bred" SC trucks, to introduce more people to the hobby? Probably not. So, again, I applaud the Slash for what it has done for the hobby and local hobby shops.

I hope vehicles like the Slash will bring more people into the hobby for the first time, or back into the hobby after a hiatus, and thereby help hobby shops to remain in business. As much as I love online shopping for this hobby, I don't care for race simulation games. I want to race at real tracks, with my Slash!
MojoManDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #75
Tech Initiate

Well said.
tommckay is offline   Reply With Quote