R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #46
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

I gotta say your comebacks are classics. For someone so busy making so many personal attacks you have pretty thin skin. No wonder NOBODY joined your forum and after a month of advertising it you're still the ONLY member.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:58 PM   #47
Tech Elite
 
OG RC 10T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,658
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

I wouldnt call it a fad, but rather a class that is affordable to anyone who is into RC.

If they leave it a stock class, just as you bought it, it will remain as popular as it is now.

If they start mixing classes, such as letting other manfactures in who are producing trucks that cost more, it may fade out, simply due to the fact that it wont be able to compete.

Just my .02
__________________
Original RC 10T, T4, RC8Te, Tekin RX8. Losi Ten SCTE, Slash 4x4.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM   #48
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
IIf they start mixing classes, such as letting other manfactures in who are producing trucks that cost more, it may fade out, simply due to the fact that it wont be able to compete.
If as a hobby we operated like that instead of your B44 you'd be running a 2wd Frog. Because that is exactly what the Tamiya guys said when the RC10 came out.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #49
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
If as a hobby we operated like that instead of your B44 you'd be running a 2wd Frog. Because that is exactly what the Tamiya guys said when the RC10 came out.
Tonight me and a bunch of other guys are trying to get a BoLink Legends group up and running. Again. Another group tried it a few years ago and it faded away.

These Legends are a blast to drive, dirt cheap, take one helluva beating, and are about as complicated as a WompWomp slot car. Four pieces of fiberglass plate and a 1/10th pancar axle. And yet it's taking an act of Congress to get anyone to drive them. I think it's because once you do a little bit of fiddling with one to where it runs like you want it to, you'll never turn a wrench on the thing again. There's nothing to adjust, nothing to tune, nothing to upgrade, and the entire class consists of only 1 car (does this sound familiar at all? ~cough~ Spec Slash ~cough~). And we end up getting bored with them. The last Legends show this area had was nothing but carpet oval. Now we're going to try and mix it up by doing carpet oval, carpet road course, parking lot, maybe even some dirt oval...we'll see. I love these little Legends cars, but I'm not going to sell everything I have and devote my life to racing them.
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:27 PM   #50
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 455
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG RC 10T View Post
I wouldnt call it a fad, but rather a class that is affordable to anyone who is into RC.

If they leave it a stock class, just as you bought it, it will remain as popular as it is now.

If they start mixing classes, such as letting other manfactures in who are producing trucks that cost more, it may fade out, simply due to the fact that it wont be able to compete.

Just my .02
I don't think it is going to be much of a problem, when the thing gets in the hands of the people we will know for sure. I think it is going to remain popular for some time to come, it offers what nothing else has offered and people are buying it by the ton....

stupid people if they only knew what is good for them

Mixing classes, we will see. What people forget is that these things slide around as others have put it, put the same power and same tires on both and I think it will be a flip of a coin.

For those that don't want to spend an extra $150 on a brushless setup and $200 in batts there is always the Spec slash class.

What I will be waiting to see is a SC10 with a 17.5, 21.5, on the track with a stock slash with equal drivers behind the wheel of each....or the same motor in both. THAT WILL TELL US EVERYTHING WE NEED TO KNOW, until the time that happens everything said is just hot air.

But it is fun to read.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:31 PM   #51
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
What I will be waiting to see is a SC10 with a 17.5, 21.5, on the track with a stock slash with equal drivers behind the wheel of each....or the same motor in both.
I mentioned in the ROAR SCT thread, I did a pair of comparo runs between the Titan 12T and a Reedy Stockstar that I'd built using my Slash. The Stockstar was about 1/2 a second faster per lap, and considering I do a lot of motor tuning I'd say that's close enough.
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:47 PM   #52
Tech Adept
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Tejas
Posts: 185
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

I questioned the Fad possibilities.. In my area, racing monster trucks dropped off the face of the planet last year, the year before it was the hottest thing. Problem with the monster trucks at that time was the Revo was impossible to beat, then they were modded into truggies....I think everyone who was running the monster truck class realized they had just as much into modded Revo's as a good buggy. Everyone got jaded and just moved.
The nice thing is with the Slash is the investment is almost half of a Revo so if it turns Fad the loss is minimal so even if you don't race, it's still is a blast to goto the track or backyard and play.

An observation of mine is that at our local track the lap times are barely slower than the other classes. The buggies and truggies gain time by being able to launch several jumps in a single bound. I can keep up with the 1/10 Stock Trucks but 2wd and 4wd buggies can outrun everything.

I have modded my Slash to the hilt, atleast on the things that make it handle better with the exception of tires....I am on the fence about what to do, go with stock, 1/8 scale buggy tires or some Pro-line epic's. I really don't want to go 1/8 scale tires, it takes away from the scale truck look. I question whether the proline epics are worth the money and if the gain in traction is there over the stockers.
dhc8guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 03:13 PM   #53
Tech Elite
 
OG RC 10T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,658
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
If as a hobby we operated like that instead of your B44 you'd be running a 2wd Frog. Because that is exactly what the Tamiya guys said when the RC10 came out.
I still run my 10T

But that is what I was getting at.

If there was a Frog class today, that started when the frog came out, would it still be a class? Is what I was meaning.

The RC10, along with others and progression, helped put the frog to rest. The slash is great, as the frog was in its hay day, but if AE and others make a similar truck, better and more expensive, will we see the same thing.

I like the slash, but I also feel that if its not a slash specific class it may not hold its popularity as much as it is now.

Either way, right or wrong, its just my opinion, nothing more.
__________________
Original RC 10T, T4, RC8Te, Tekin RX8. Losi Ten SCTE, Slash 4x4.
OG RC 10T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:42 PM   #54
Tech Regular
 
ThisDougsForU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 338
Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default

Just an observation -

Most of the people I've personally seen at the track who don't like/understand the Slash trucks are people that don't like real full scale offroad racing, or full scale racing in general. They are the same people who don't understand why someone would want a rock crawler or some other non-buggy/stadium truck. That's not a knock against anyone and I know it's not the case with everyone who doesn't like them, but that's what I've seen down at the local track for the most part.

To say that the Slash trucks were designed to handle bad doesn't make any sense. They were designed after there full scale counterparts.

I'll probably be selling my T4 soon to race my stocker slash, and a mod SC10. Then again I've been a freak for trophy trucks since I played Super Offroad in the arcades.

Just an observation!
ThisDougsForU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:51 PM   #55
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonds, AZ
Posts: 287
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDougsForU View Post
Just an observation -

Most of the people I've personally seen at the track who don't like/understand the Slash trucks are people that don't like real full scale offroad racing, or full scale racing in general. They are the same people who don't understand why someone would want a rock crawler or some other non-buggy/stadium truck. That's not a knock against anyone and I know it's not the case with everyone who doesn't like them, but that's what I've seen down at the local track for the most part.

To say that the Slash trucks were designed to handle bad doesn't make any sense. They were designed after there full scale counterparts.

I'll probably be selling my T4 soon to race my stocker slash, and a mod SC10. Then again I've been a freak for trophy trucks since I played Super Offroad in the arcades.

Just an observation!

I must be an exception to that rule.

Personally I open track and autocross my car (1/1 scale), I think the SC10 and slash are interesting looking, but at the same time I don't have much interest in them.....yet. I am reserving judgement until I see the SC10 on the track.

Ironically, all of my real-life racing is on-road, yet I have no interest in carpet or ashphalt RC racing.
__________________
Race:
Hyper 10 SC
SC10
XXX-T - Stock Truck
XXX4+g
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:28 PM   #56
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
Tonight me and a bunch of other guys are trying to get a BoLink Legends group up and running. Again. Another group tried it a few years ago and it faded away.

These Legends are a blast to drive, dirt cheap, take one helluva beating, and are about as complicated as a WompWomp slot car. Four pieces of fiberglass plate and a 1/10th pancar axle. And yet it's taking an act of Congress to get anyone to drive them. I think it's because once you do a little bit of fiddling with one to where it runs like you want it to, you'll never turn a wrench on the thing again. There's nothing to adjust, nothing to tune, nothing to upgrade, and the entire class consists of only 1 car (does this sound familiar at all? ~cough~ Spec Slash ~cough~). And we end up getting bored with them. The last Legends show this area had was nothing but carpet oval. Now we're going to try and mix it up by doing carpet oval, carpet road course, parking lot, maybe even some dirt oval...we'll see. I love these little Legends cars, but I'm not going to sell everything I have and devote my life to racing them.
x 1,000,000
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:34 PM   #57
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisDougsForU View Post
Just an observation -

Most of the people I've personally seen at the track who don't like/understand the Slash trucks are people that don't like real full scale offroad racing, or full scale racing in general. They are the same people who don't understand why someone would want a rock crawler or some other non-buggy/stadium truck. That's not a knock against anyone and I know it's not the case with everyone who doesn't like them, but that's what I've seen down at the local track for the most part.

To say that the Slash trucks were designed to handle bad doesn't make any sense. They were designed after there full scale counterparts.

I'll probably be selling my T4 soon to race my stocker slash, and a mod SC10. Then again I've been a freak for trophy trucks since I played Super Offroad in the arcades.

Just an observation!

I don't get that at all.
(1) ~ Most anyone that I've ever met that is into offroad RC at all is into fullsize offroad.
(2) ~ Most anyone that I've ever met that is into RC in any form is either a race fan or a frustrated wish-they-were fullsize racer or both.
(3) ~ Other than front a-arm lower arms and coil over shocks, very little in these trucks suspension is "designed after their full scale counterpart."

Maybe you can find some video game parallel.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 AM   #58
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 398
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
I don't get that at all.
(1) ~ Most anyone that I've ever met that is into offroad RC at all is into fullsize offroad.
(2) ~ Most anyone that I've ever met that is into RC in any form is either a race fan or a frustrated wish-they-were fullsize racer or both.
(3) ~ Other than front a-arm lower arms and coil over shocks, very little in these trucks suspension is "designed after their full scale counterpart."
Maybe you can find some video game parallel.
lol, Thanks you.... People think because a body came painted like a full scale and the little tires look like them, that these have been designed completely after the full scale forms.

Sorry but I stand by that these were not designed to handle well, they were designed not to brake as much! Any traxxas is designed like this, if they were designed to handle well they would be very similar to the "pro manufactures".

Everyone brings up the money and yet a RTR stadium truck or 2wd cost the same if not less.

You think it takes more "driving skill" to wheel a slash then a T4 or XXX, now that does not make sence to me. Because "they slide into corners" they are harder to drive? No, means they handle like crap and I can set up any stadium or 2wd to drift.

Like I said from the beginning the SCT class will be around but the slash will not. It will turn into the "kid that shows up with the rustler to race with T4's and XXX-T's."
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 11:35 AM   #59
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
(1) ~ Most anyone that I've ever met that is into offroad RC at all is into fullsize offroad.
Only a couple of people I've raced with in my entire R/C career know anything about 1:1 short course racing. One guy's dad built transmissions and pitted for the Baldwin's Trophy Trucks, up in Champion, WI there's a few Johnny Greaves crewmen racing Slashes (and I've raced with Johnny's son, CJ), and where I race now in Winthrop Harbor, IL there's a family R/C racing team that keeps up with what's going on in Crandon. Otherwise that's about it.
Quote:
(2) ~ Most anyone that I've ever met that is into RC in any form is either a race fan or a frustrated wish-they-were fullsize racer or both.
Now that's me, and a number of other drivers I'm with. A few even used to be 1:1 racers. Funny thing about those folks is they NEVER get frustrated over breaking parts, probably because what costs $7 to fix on an R/C truck goes for $300 on their old 1:1 car
Quote:
(3) ~ Other than front a-arm lower arms and coil over shocks, very little in these trucks suspension is "designed after their full scale counterpart."
I'd still like to see someone make an effort at racing a linked solid axle truck in the SCT class. Even a trailing independent suspension (such as what's used on sandrails and Class 1 buggies) would be neat. And would Associated PLEASE make an accessory full rollcage for the SC10 the same way the SC8's is made?
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 12:23 PM   #60
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 351
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I race in sedan,slash class and 18r spec all on the same night and all on pavement,the slash class they'll throw in a couple of ramps to entertain the crowds watching.Personally out of the three classes i race in the slash and 18r spec are the most fun and hassle free,with the sedan class its so competitive and can be costly and time consuming trying to find the best set-ups to be on top for that day,there are guys out there with a dozen or more tire compounds and inserts struggling to get the most out of their car and i'm heading that way myself dont get me wrong a lot of guys love that and is part of the hobby.Spec classes keeps the headaches and prices down to race and it's driver skill that will put you on the podium all things being equal and it's the realistic looks of the rc classes like the slash and the new sc10,vta,tamiya m03 that dont handle all that great but entertain the crowds and more fun to watch and drive to me at least,brings them into their local hobby store to inquire. I invited a friend to come out and watch me race and the first thing that caught his attention in the sedan class was a dodge charger body some guy had mounted on his chassis that what my friend drives and a few others from porsche,mustang,lotus.He asked what type of body mine was and told him it was a mazda speed 6 more function than looks and showed him my painted shelf body of a lotus and he said i should race that body cause it would look more cool going around the track.So i believe that overall the slash or sct scene along with other classes that that resemble real cars you see on the road will grow strong and help support the hobby as a whole and is more fun to watch,race,strees free and get into.
airwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"spec' or "stock" is more costly? toybreaker Electric Off-Road 40 04-16-2009 10:19 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 07:53 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net