R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-31-2009, 12:00 PM   #31
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I have mixed feelings about the SCT class. While I have a 4wd, 2wd buggy and a stadium truck, I have always been a stadium truck guy at heart.

While I find the thought of SCT interesting, and I think they look cool, in the back of my mind I keep thinking that it's a stadium truck purposefully built to not handle as well as my truck and I have a tough time getting past that.
Back in the day the first stadium trucks came straight out of the 2wd buggies (body and wheel change), and didn't handle as well as their more nimble siblings. Buggy purists thought the same as you but look what happened.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:13 PM   #32
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 398
Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Back in the day the first stadium trucks came straight out of the 2wd buggies (body and wheel change), and didn't handle as well as their more nimble siblings. Buggy purists thought the same as you but look what happened.
yes but the truck was RE Designed to handle well. Not Designed to handle like crap.
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:21 PM   #33
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM20 View Post
yes but the truck was RE Designed to handle well. Not Designed to handle like crap.
A little out of context maybe?
I doubt the SC10 was designed to handle like crap, more that it was designed to (1) retain a full size truck's scale appears, right down to the tires and (2) not to encorporate the "tire of the month/tire of the track" fetish that has invaded all other classes.

But I could be wrong, again.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:28 PM   #34
Tech Elite
 
OTE_TheMissile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,688
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM20 View Post
yes but the truck was RE Designed to handle well. Not Designed to handle like crap.
Ehh, not really. A buggy will still outpace a stadium truck, but it's not like the two vehicles went in complete opposite directions once the stadium truck came out.

The big difference with an SC is the size and their tires. You really have to throw these things around, so there's a lot of sliding the rear end, a lot of countersteering, and keeping the inside tires on the ground. If you push a buggy or stadium truck too far going into a corner, more likely than not it'll just understeer and a blip of the throttle will fix it. But get too hot with an SC and it'll either spin out or roll over. It's a patience class, if you don't keep yourself reserved and under the limitations of the truck, it'll make you pay for it.
__________________
Faster Than Factory
On The EDGE Racing, est. 2001 - Home of the 524, the Silverado Slammer E-MAX6X6, and the Sand Dollar prerunner
Mike Budzien | facebook.com/OTE.TheMissile | RIVCO Products | The RC Corral | iRacing.com
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 12:55 PM   #35
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Edmonds, AZ
Posts: 287
Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Back in the day the first stadium trucks came straight out of the 2wd buggies (body and wheel change), and didn't handle as well as their more nimble siblings. Buggy purists thought the same as you but look what happened.
I was in the hobby at that time and the big difference in my mind is that while a truck doesn't handle the same as a buggy does, the trucks jumped better and handled rough tracks and bumps a lot better than their buggy counterparts.

I will say that I haven't driven a slash so maybe I should reserve judgement until I do. I guess that if people really want to run ribs and fuzzies on SCTs there will eventually be a class to do so.
__________________
Race:
Hyper 10 SC
SC10
XXX-T - Stock Truck
XXX4+g
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:05 PM   #36
MDB
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 533
Default

Yes, the SC trucks do not handle as good as the stadium trucks, but the SC trucks are supposed to have that look that their full size counterparts have.

To me SC trucks require more finesse and talent to keep from spinning the truck out everytime you make a turn.

It's more about the driver than the car.
MDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:15 PM   #37
Tech Initiate
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 41
Default

I have been racing my XXX-CR and Slash for the last couple months now and I honestly thing the Slash is easy to drive fast but holy crap my buggy in the superstock class with a 13.5 and lipo is a total handful.

The slash is great because any beginner can drive one and with some practice can win with one. I love driving my slash. The buggy however is more expensive, breaks more (I know I need to learn to drive better) and requires a lot of throttle and steering control. My buggy is setup to copy a local Losi driver's so it is set up pretty well (he told me it was pretty good when he drove it during a practice session).

I think the slash (SCT) class will be around a long time.
jettaglxdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #38
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toddzilla View Post
I was in the hobby at that time and the big difference in my mind is that while a truck doesn't handle the same as a buggy does, the trucks jumped better and handled rough tracks and bumps a lot better than their buggy counterparts.

I will say that I haven't driven a slash so maybe I should reserve judgement until I do. I guess that if people really want to run ribs and fuzzies on SCTs there will eventually be a class to do so.
Then you know.
I agree, they handled the rough sections a little better because the tires were more forgiving. Not sure they jumped any better, and they sure plowed through the turns like dumptrucks. But over time they widened them out and it solved the whole weebles-wobble problem we had back then from them being too narrow using buggy arms.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:19 PM   #39
Tech Master
 
offtraxx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: da dells WI
Posts: 1,871
Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)
Default

who cares if its a fad!!!!!
I have a slash and I think its the best truck I have had so far
my son has one and he loves it
my local club went from 4 or 5 in 11/08 to nearly 20

now the sc10 is supost to be the next best thing to sliced bread I say to each his own. its so sickening everytime I come to the electic forum some is bitching about the slash, GET OVER IT! I like it, I will have fun racing it, enuf said by me
__________________
I'm not a RC addict. addict's are in denial, I admit I have a problem
offtraxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #40
MDB
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by offtraxx View Post


now the sc10 is supost to be the next best thing to sliced bread I say to each his own. its so sickening everytime I come to the electic forum some is bitching about the slash, GET OVER IT! I like it, I will have fun racing it, enuf said by me

X1,000,000,000
__________________
Buy from your Local Hobby Shop, IF they are not overpriced and they appreciate your business.
MDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:31 PM   #41
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDB View Post
X1,000,000,000
Why are't you chewing him out and telling him his 10.5 novak isn't SPEC?

Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #42
MDB
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Why are't you chewing him out and telling him his 10.5 novak isn't SPEC?

Because he was talking about the Slash and not the 10.5, dumbass. I was agreeing with him about the rest especially the part about where you SC10-eteers think that the SC10 is the best thing since sliced bread was a joke.
__________________
Buy from your Local Hobby Shop, IF they are not overpriced and they appreciate your business.
MDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:34 PM   #43
Dan
Tech Elite
 
Dan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 4,407
Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jettaglxdriver View Post
I have been racing my XXX-CR and Slash for the last couple months now and I honestly thing the Slash is easy to drive fast but holy crap my buggy in the superstock class with a 13.5 and lipo is a total handful.

The slash is great because any beginner can drive one and with some practice can win with one. I love driving my slash. The buggy however is more expensive, breaks more (I know I need to learn to drive better) and requires a lot of throttle and steering control. My buggy is setup to copy a local Losi driver's so it is set up pretty well (he told me it was pretty good when he drove it during a practice session).

I think the slash (SCT) class will be around a long time.
Are you running the stock electronics and tires on the Slash? I almost guarantee you if you up the power in the Slash, it will be more harder to drive than your buggy.
Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:41 PM   #44
Suspended
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 481
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDB View Post
Because he was talking about the Slash and not the 10.5, dumbass. I was agreeing with him about the rest especially the part about where you SC10-eteers think that the SC10 is the best thing since sliced bread was a joke.
Seriously, have you graduated from junior high yet??
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:43 PM   #45
MDB
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 533
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
Seriously, have you graduated from junior high yet??

Seriously, have you moved on from Elementary school yet?
__________________
Buy from your Local Hobby Shop, IF they are not overpriced and they appreciate your business.
MDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"spec' or "stock" is more costly? toybreaker Electric Off-Road 40 04-16-2009 10:19 PM



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 11:54 PM.


We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net