R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-29-2009, 05:54 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Send a message via AIM to JonNBR
Default ZX5 Noise

Whats up guys. I have a Lazer RTR and earlier today I was fooling around and out of nowhere it started making a rapid popping noise whenever I hit the brakes. It dosent do it during acceleration or reverse, only when I`m up to speed and hit the brakes. Guessing a diff. gear is beginning to strip out. Anyone else have an experience like this? Any insight? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
JonNBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:25 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

what it could be is just the motor. Its very common for a motor to make a very rapid stripping noise when on the heavy breaks. if you want to take it apart and look at it.
nothing would be wrong if its the motor.
not home is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

sounds like it is one of your bevel or diff gears, i would replace the whole diff its cheap and wont hurt anything
good luck

scott
losiguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:54 PM   #4
Tech Initiate

You got it Losi. Ok so I got to looking at it and it is the bevel gear and the other one thats on plane with the driveshaft. So I went to take apart the entire diff. so I can put some new steel outdrives on it too. Well while I`m slowly trying to get it apart, I see some small balls flying out that I failed to see in the manual. lol. They`re the really, really small ones. How in the h*ll are you guys getting these back in? I`m guessing there insnt an easy way, huh? Just the way they went back in. Any tips? Thanks guys
Old 03-29-2009, 11:23 PM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonNBR View Post
You got it Losi. Ok so I got to looking at it and it is the bevel gear and the other one thats on plane with the driveshaft. So I went to take apart the entire diff. so I can put some new steel outdrives on it too. Well while I`m slowly trying to get it apart, I see some small balls flying out that I failed to see in the manual. lol. They`re the really, really small ones. How in the h*ll are you guys getting these back in? I`m guessing there insnt an easy way, huh? Just the way they went back in. Any tips? Thanks guys
Those are probably the thrust balls for the thrust bearing. If you lose any of them, Kyosho does sell a thrust bearing kit. It's a wear item anyway so you could replace it now while you have it out. Anyway, there are seven of them so make sure you find them all. Their small size make them look tough to put in, but it's actually quite easy.

1. Take the thrust shaft cap screw and put it on the end of your hex driver.
2. Slide on a thrust plate
3. Put a generous amount of black (lithium) grease on the thrust plate where the balls go.
4. Get a toothpick or something small and pointy, dip in black grease, use it to pick up and deposit the balls on the grease on thrust plate. Do so for all seven.
5. Slide on the other thrust plate
6. Slide the outdrive over the thrust assembly.
7. Re-assemble the diff from there.

Good luck.

Make sure you shim your diff according to the manual...even if it feels tight. It will loosen up as it breaks in. Else, you will strip it again very quickly. When done right, I have had these last for a whole season. Also, make sure your slipper is loose enough to protect it in the future.
foolio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 11:55 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Ok so I got it all back together. Thanks Foolio. Exactly how tight do I want the entire diff. unit? Also, how about the slipper?? I was told when I got my Sidewinder setup to loosen the slipper a bit, and I did. But I`ve never really taken it apart to quite understand how it works.
Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

all the way n and 1/8th of the way back out is how associated says to start. thats how i build mine
06 HONDA CBR 600rr
08 HONDA TRX 450r
ae_scott is offline   Reply With Quote