R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 AM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Default PLEASE ANSWER QUICK - LOSI CR versus MF1 - WHAT'S THE HANDLING DIFFERENCE?

Hi all,
Could you please help me out with some HONEST opinions as soon as possible. I am on a definite time limit here.

I am considering buying a new Losi CR. I just rebuilt my old MF1 - I like that one way better than my MF2, but have wanted a CR for awhile and may have a good deal coming my way. But I have to act fast. I would really like to hear from people who have a CR, or even better, maybe have had both an
MF1 or MF2 and a CR. I'd like to know if there really is much of a difference IN THE WAY IT HANDLES over the MF1, in particular. I know most of the obvious - the longer chassis, the rear hubs - but what I really want to know is something more along the lines of the way it reacts and feels compared to the MF1 and MF2. Does it have more positive steering, or is that just something that can be taken care of with a different set up. Buying this is a gamble for me as at the end of May we are losing the only indoor offroad track we have within 100 miles. That means no winter racing around here, so I am having a hard time justifying the purchase of a new truck. But I am on the fence still. I am not sure that there is a big enough difference between the CR and the MF1 to make it worthwhile. So can I get some serious opinions here please. I need them as soon as possible! Thank you!

Diane
Old 03-28-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

The MF1 uses the gen1 diff. Really the only difference is the longer chassis (get that!), EA3 material (I prefer graphite), and the aluminum hubs with QC wheels. You can just get away wih getting the chasis (what I did on my MF2) to make it handle similar to the CR.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Thank, Chris!
You confirmed what I was wondering about. I was thinking the biggest difference is the chassis, and, of course, the QC wheels, but I don't really want to buy all new wheels and tires right now (front wheels for the rear), so the chassis sounds like a good trade off. With my MF1 being mostly all graphite, do you know if putting the longer EA3 chassis on the graphite components makes it handle weird? Is it a standard "hookup" chassis other than extended? Meaning, does everything bolt up the same? This sounds like a good solution if that doesn't change it too much. Thanks for the great suggestion. Oh, and I assume that Losi got the chassis breaking problem under control from the original CR design? I know a lot of people said they were breaking along the battery box. Is that longer chassis available in anything other than EA3 plastic? Thanks for the great suggestion, I appreciate it.

Diane
Old 03-28-2009, 03:17 PM   #4
Tech Master

The EA3 does not make it handle weird. In fact, alot of people use graphite arms and shock towers. The only thing you will need is to get teh chassis inserts out from your old chassis, or better yet just get 2 more and get the EA3 battery strap as the graphite one is to short. Never had a chassis break on me before.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Old 03-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
The MF1 uses the gen1 diff. Really the only difference is the longer chassis (get that!), EA3 material (I prefer graphite), and the aluminum hubs with QC wheels. You can just get away wih getting the chasis (what I did on my MF2) to make it handle similar to the CR.
Don't forget that the CR has the VLA arms--MF1 basically had the "short" VLA only.

To the OP, while the Ea3 stuff is quite a bit more flexible and a little heavier than graphite--I don't think it really breaks too much more.
The only thing I really don't trust to the ea3 (on both buggy and truck) is the front arms.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 05:42 PM   #6
Tech Master

Im not sure about this, but I think the MF1 had long front, and short rear vla. Might be vise versa or completely different.

Old 03-28-2009, 09:16 PM   #7
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to Briguy

I liked the hadling of the CR much better then any of the previous XXX-ts . Steering and stability was a lot better . I put graphite arms in front and rest stayed EA3 and really like the EA3 material . Some say the EA3 breaks easier but think that is just in their mind . If you have a bunch of tires with the older wheels then I`d just upgrade a few things like Chris mentioned .
Briguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:35 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briguy View Post
I liked the hadling of the CR much better then any of the previous XXX-ts . Steering and stability was a lot better . I put graphite arms in front and rest stayed EA3 and really like the EA3 material . Some say the EA3 breaks easier but think that is just in their mind . If you have a bunch of tires with the older wheels then I`d just upgrade a few things like Chris mentioned .
Front Graphite is all you need Both can be tunned to feel the same way, I've always prefered the fast agile buggy (XXX-CR) EA3 is good, just the front arms are fragile. EA3 arms break on hinge points from landing on one wheel whereas graphite arms do not. Everywhere else the EA3 provides more flex which can make the car handle well from track to track with fewer adjustments.