R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-27-2009, 11:26 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Is my Novak Thermaling?

Hey guys,
I bought a Car and it had a brushless system in it. I'm comepletely new to lipo and brushless and I don't know if my speedo is thermaling or doing the voltage cutoff.

I have a B44 and it will go flat then it will have power then go flat, if I let it sit a few mins it will have full power again. Anyway, I have a Novak GTB and a Velocity 3.5 when I temp it with a crappy Duratrax temp gun it says 160 when it does this.

I don't know how hot the speedo should get or what. I'm thinking maybe it gets to hot because even though it has a fan the B44 it a closed body.

Josh
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 01:54 AM   #2
Tech Regular

Its probably thermaling, what do you have it geared at? 3.5 is a lot of motor of off road.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 06:56 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to jg727211

When it shuts down take a look at which lights on the GTB are flashing & that will tell you why.

Look in the Troubleshooting section for the meaning of the lights: http://teamnovak.com/download/instru.../GTB_instr.pdf
jg727211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:58 AM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

It sounds like it is thermalling. What kind of fan is on the ESC. Most guys here have to use the Novak black fan or some other aftermarket fan. The clear fans do not work well. (you will have to replace the black fans once in awhile also)
IMO The 3.5 is way too much motor for off road. Most guys here started running 4.5 and 5.5 last year and now we are all running 6.5-8.5 in 4x4. If you are racing the car then I would suggest getting a different motor. You will be faster with a slower motor.
If you look at what the guys were running at the Cactus Classic you will see that most of the guys are running 7.5-10.5 motors and nothing more.
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #5
Company Representative
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

You can send your Novak motor to us (working, or not working) and exchange it for a higher wind motor that may be more suitable for your application. Also, repeatedly thermalling any BL motor, weakens the magnetic strength of the rotor and decreases performance.

Novak Brushless Motor Service Options
NovakTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Hey guys,
The motor never gets over 135-140...

Yea, It has a clear fan on it, I think that is another problem. Does the old B44 bodies not help? Seems like the body is almost laying on the speedo fan.

Also I got this car used, well it was new, but it was from someone else. Yea the 3.5 is obviously to much Although I can use it and am fast with it. Scary to think how hard I could push the buggy if I didn't have to be as conservative.

I think the speedo had a crazy amount of drag brake, I mean the car would damn near do a front flip when I went to Neutral. I dialed out alot of it in my radio because I was not sure how to program the Speedo.

I am not sure what it is geared at, I can only open it up on the straight, the infield I am feathering it. That is why it confused me on why the speedo was getting so hot, I guess even though I am being light on it the current draw when I do open it up must be pretty high.

I will get the gearing tomorrow, it's pouring and I have it in my car, I know it is a small pinion though, I would guess around a 15-17.

Do you think I should try the fan first? I may just send it in and get a 5.5-6.5. Although I really wanted to play around with it in my TC.

Josh
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 10:36 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I am running a 6.5 with 17/84 gearing. My motor never gets above 100 deg but the esc without a good fan will overheat and thermal. I use the Novak black fan or the Muchmore batt black fan on mine. (Depends on what the LHS has in stock) I would try a different fan to start and check the temp on your esc along with the motor. You may also be over geared for the 3.5.
I am actually going to go with a 7.5 in my B44 and 10.5 in my mod truck and buggy. You can gear up, with the higher wind motors and they are very fast and consistent around the track.
bcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote