R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-26-2009, 10:45 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Default RC Car in Afghanistan

Hi there, I'd like some advice so I figured I'd ask the experts. I'm military, stationed in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan. A few of us got the idea to order RC cars to run around during our down time. I really don't have any experience and here's the guidelines that were agreed upon:

1/10th scale
550 electric motor max
the motor must have brushes
7.2V battery
no more than 4000mAh battery
total cost no more than about $350

I figure a rtr kit would be easiest for me, although not absolutely necessary. Everywhere here is sand and rock, so a buggy or truck? Everything has to be sent through the mail and that takes around 3 weeks, sometimes more. Spare parts, if needed, should have to be ordered now and would not count towards the total cost.

In the meantime I'm going to keep doing research. For example, I've yet to find a 550 motor, only a 540.

So if anyone has any suggestions, I'd really appreciate the help. Thanks for your time!
BobReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:47 AM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Get a Traxxas Slash, it meets all of your requirements.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:48 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Can't help you since i'm new to Rc but be safe back there and thx you for your work
mondenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
Suspended

Sounds like a great idea for something for you guys to do in your downtime, but just a couple of suggestions. 540 motors are the industry standard so you are going to have trouble finding 550s, and personally I'd suggest going brushless since there isn't the need to maintain them like a brushed motor that you will have trouble replacing or working on easily. Brushed motors are a pain if your not experienced. Get trucks since they handle rough terrain easier, and don't worry so much about total cost. Get better stuff the first time and you won't have to replace as much after beating on them. Read around the forum here and study up on the different models, have everyone get the same truck, and then have fun.
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

here's a good place to start:

http://www.stormerhobbies.com/cgi-bi...umb=on&smode=1
2010 & 2007 Summer Series at the Plex Modified 2wd Buggy Champion
2009 Summer Series at the Plex Modified 2wd Stadium Truck Champion
Heavy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

+2 on the slash. They are a blast and durable.
desertbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:02 PM   #7

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

considerin they were modeled after desert/stadium trucks. the slash, its a no brainer!!!

tough, cheap, fun for any ability level, and they look real (always a plus).

they have bodies where the fenders and other panels fall of due to wrecks, just like real 1s

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #8

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Slash, or most any Traxxas vehicle. More durable, and the electronics on the vehicle are "waterproof" or at least sealed very well from the outside environment.

Maybe Aluminum shock caps, and a spare spur gear to start off with?
Old 03-26-2009, 12:22 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Honestly I wouldn't recommend the Slash for you... I would recommend a AE T-4 or a Losi XXX-T..... and here WHY!

I'm also in the military and have been to the types of places that your at now... so I KNOW the environment that your probably going to be running in.

If your running on a ton of gravel, small rocks and loose sand, you will benefit from the larger contact patch of the typical 1/10 stadium truck. The Slashes tires are a lot more narrow, and wont give you as good of traction in those extreme loose conditions.

If there is hard packed dirt, or even loose dirt with the hard stuff under it, get the Slash it's a blast! I have one and it's a TANK! From the sounds of it, you guys are going to be racing each other... give your self the advantage. Pick the best vehicle for the terrain that your going to be driving on. I'd hate for you to spend your money only to find out that your truck keeps digging it's self in.

Jay
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:29 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

I agree with the slash. It fits perfectly to your needs and will keep you within budget. But more importantly my family and I thank you and your buddies for what your doing for us over there. Be safe and have fun and again thank you.
801Funk801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:30 PM   #12
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro18t View Post
Honestly I wouldn't recommend the Slash for you... I would recommend a AE T-4 or a Losi XXX-T..... and here WHY!

I'm also in the military and have been to the types of places that your at now... so I KNOW the environment that your probably going to be running in.

If your running on a ton of gravel, small rocks and loose sand, you will benefit from the larger contact patch of the typical 1/10 stadium truck. The Slashes tires are a lot more narrow, and wont give you as good of traction in those extreme loose conditions.

If there is hard packed dirt, or even loose dirt with the hard stuff under it, get the Slash it's a blast! I have one and it's a TANK! From the sounds of it, you guys are going to be racing each other... give your self the advantage. Pick the best vehicle for the terrain that your going to be driving on. I'd hate for you to spend your money only to find out that your truck keeps digging it's self in.

Jay
Just my 2 cents....I sell alot of XXX-T parts, and had 1 guy overseas just kept stocking up on stuff as they kept breaking just about everythnig on the Losi Desert truck

I would pick durability over performance, due to the fact that you will have to find online shops to ship to APO addresses. Then 1-2 weeks later the parts show up.
Old 03-26-2009, 12:36 PM   #13
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I've spent a few years in Iraq and during my last deployment I tinkered with 1/8th scale electric buggies. They handled the terrain well, but are a little on the expensive side...

That being said, get the Slash, the Onyx 230 for a charger, and some decent Lipo batteries and I bet you will have a blast.
richard.bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:39 PM   #14
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bratton View Post
I've spent a few years in Iraq and during my last deployment I tinkered with 1/8th scale electric buggies. They handled the terrain well, but are a little on the expensive side...

That being said, get the Slash, the Onyx 230 for a charger, and some decent Lipo batteries and I bet you will have a blast.
I would ovoid the LiPo's just due to the fact there is not a cutoff on the ESC. Some 8.4V NiMH's around the 4000+ Mah range would do fine.
Old 03-26-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
Tech Initiate

+1 on the Traxxas slash. Its perfect for your needs. You guys can smash them together and not have to worry about breaking something.
JatoFever is offline   Reply With Quote