R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-26-2009, 03:04 PM   #16
gfx
Tech Adept

I'll agree with getting a Slash. Can't go wrong with RTR.

Have fun chasing around those Camel Spiders with it!
gfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 03:17 PM   #17
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i just got back from Khost afghanistan in november and i had a slash while i was there. i took it everywhere from paktika province to kalander province. itll go just about anywhere (besids rock crawling...not alot of ground clearance with the slash) but it was a great truck. im kind of a vet to rc cars but with the new environment in khost its was fun to learn new things.
youll definatly have fun with it...
i would go with an onyx 240 charger. you can have 2 charging while your running so youll always have em ready....

that dirt in afghanistan is awesome for ramp building. build it and let it sit till it rains. itll be like concrete.

WOO HOO!!! gop FOB chapman!!! hahaha watch out for tuberculosis. alot of thos dirtbags there have it.
and take your malaria meds. 1 guy got it while we were there. not a good site. hahaha
jaredmausteller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:39 AM   #18
Tech Rookie

First off, thanks for all the replies to what is obviously a newbie question. I was prepared to take some s#!+ about not knowing anything about rc racing, and I really appreciate everyone's positive attitudes, so thank you!

Based upon popular opinion, I've almost decided to go with the Slash.

However, someone mentioned that the brushless system is simply more reliable so I'm considering bending the rules a bit. Any opinions on something like a Rustler VXL?

And I did some reading about batteries. It sounds like the NiMH have somewhat lower performance compared with the LiPO, however are much simpler, so I've decided to go with the NiMH, at least til I return to the states. Is there much of a difference between brands of batteries? 6cell vs 7cell? stack vs flat?

Thank you for your time!
BobReno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:41 AM   #19
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredmausteller View Post
i just got back from Khost afghanistan in november and i had a slash while i was there. i took it everywhere from paktika province to kalander province. itll go just about anywhere (besids rock crawling...not alot of ground clearance with the slash) but it was a great truck. im kind of a vet to rc cars but with the new environment in khost its was fun to learn new things.
youll definatly have fun with it...
i would go with an onyx 240 charger. you can have 2 charging while your running so youll always have em ready....

that dirt in afghanistan is awesome for ramp building. build it and let it sit till it rains. itll be like concrete.

WOO HOO!!! gop FOB chapman!!! hahaha watch out for tuberculosis. alot of thos dirtbags there have it.
and take your malaria meds. 1 guy got it while we were there. not a good site. hahaha
Also, based on Jared and Richard's inputs I've decided to go with the onyx 240. Thank you for your inputs!
Old 03-27-2009, 12:57 AM   #20
Tech Rookie

I'm thinking two ProTek R/C 6-Cell 7.2V NiMH "Speed" Battery Pack (4200mAh) for batteries. Any opinions? Should I get three? How long does a charge last?
Old 03-27-2009, 01:06 AM   #21
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobReno View Post
I'm thinking two ProTek R/C 6-Cell 7.2V NiMH "Speed" Battery Pack (4200mAh) for batteries. Any opinions? Should I get three? How long does a charge last?
3 should do for your purposes. 1 pack will last 10 minutes running time and take 1 hour to charge.

i'd recommend the T4 or XXX-T as i'm not familiar with the traxxas
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...=ns&pn=ASC7024
https://www.ssl-stormerhobbies.com/c...ns&pn=LOSA0096
jelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:26 AM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't think you'll regret getting a Slash... I love mine! When you buy it I would pick up some extra shock oil (stock is 30Wt) just incase you pop a shock cap off you wont be left with one empty shock. Also here are some part #'s for some things that might get broken.

Front caster blocks 30 degree #3632
Steering blocks left & right #3736
Rear Stub axle carriers #3752
Spur gear, 86-tooth (48-pitch) #4686 (they get chewed up a bit by sand)
Suspension arms, (rear) (2) #2555
Suspension arms (front) (2) #3631

I don't really see you breaking any shock towers, so I didn't throw them on the list. Now these are all stock Traxxas replacement parts. The company "RPM" makes more durable replacement parts, they just cost a bit more. I've had my Slash for a little over 6 months and I drive mine down stairs, I've taken it the a skate park, all kinds of things and so far the only thing I've broken is 1 front caster block. Good luck and let us know if you need help with any thing.

P.S. we were all newbie's once.

Jay
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:10 AM   #23
Tech Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pyro18t View Post
I don't think you'll regret getting a Slash... I love mine! When you buy it I would pick up some extra shock oil (stock is 30Wt) just incase you pop a shock cap off you wont be left with one empty shock. Also here are some part #'s for some things that might get broken.

Front caster blocks 30 degree #3632
Steering blocks left & right #3736
Rear Stub axle carriers #3752
Spur gear, 86-tooth (48-pitch) #4686 (they get chewed up a bit by sand)
Suspension arms, (rear) (2) #2555
Suspension arms (front) (2) #3631

I don't really see you breaking any shock towers, so I didn't throw them on the list. Now these are all stock Traxxas replacement parts. The company "RPM" makes more durable replacement parts, they just cost a bit more. I've had my Slash for a little over 6 months and I drive mine down stairs, I've taken it the a skate park, all kinds of things and so far the only thing I've broken is 1 front caster block. Good luck and let us know if you need help with any thing.

P.S. we were all newbie's once.

Jay
Hi Jay, I really appreciate the specifics in your suggestions. I never would have thought to order the oil, and I'll definitely look up the parts you mention. Thank you

--Bob
Old 03-27-2009, 02:52 AM   #24
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

No problem Bob.... "One Team One Fight" right?

Jay
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:30 AM   #25

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

doesnt the 240 only do nicd/nimh??? not lipo????

the 230 is a better piece despite only being to do 1 if that really matters.

lipo in a slash is fine if simply not stupid bout runnin the thing too long. if u buy a 4000mah lipo no reason that truck couldnt go 15min 'slashin' around. with lipo, he only needs 1 batt, and he'll be called back on station before it dies.

have fun.

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote