Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tenergy 8 cell batt pack

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Tenergy 8 cell batt pack

Has anyone heard of positive or negative things regarding the tenergy 8 cell batt packs? or any other tenergy items? one of my buddies ordered one from all-battery.com and when he got it, he charged it on dc 4 amp until fully charged. when he used it he noticed his slash speeding up and slowing down as if the batt was delivering half of its voltage and then more and then less. upon further inspection after playing with it, he discovered that one of the cells on the hump got so hot that it melted the plastic covering, didnt explode, just got really hot. this is werid, any thoughts? thanks.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I was considering to buy some of those Tenergy packs (6 cell) at one point, but stayed away from it due to the number of feedback I got on it. I think 80 to 90% of the people who responded didn't have anything good to say about it, so I spent a little more and bought good cells.

You can find good GP cells for relatively cheap. I would suggest those since I had very good experience with GP cells... Stay away from Panasonic Sub-C NiMH cells, they are pure, utter crap...
Old 03-27-2009, 04:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The cells thats getting hot is a bad cell, thats classic sign of a dead/bad cell. That same cell will also get hotter than the others when you charge it. The pac will never perform they way it shoud with a dead/bad cell.

I bought two 7 cell pacs from them and they were, as tom put it, utter crap. It doesn't really matter if its 6, 7 or 8 cell pacs - its the quality of the cells going into the pacs - its poor and they don't seem to do any QC on them when they send them out either. Mine were 4200s and after discharging, they would only take 2400ish numbers and it went downhill from there rapidly and just got worse.

Their customer service was poor as well. Guess its too late to get your money back, but I'd try returning that pac and hope replacement is better.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Tech Apprentice

Tenergy batts are fine for home use. Flashlights, kids toys, etc. They even do ok in my digital camera. But for high drain applications like RC I'd avoid them. I tried a variety of their 6 and 7 cell packs and was never impressed.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:21 PM
Tech Initiate

well that really sucks cause i just spent 45 bucks on 2 of em'($22 a peice) right before i made this post(like a day). and you say that their customer service is poor? that would explain why they either didnt answer the phone or it would tell me to call back....kinda lame. if i do have the same troubles as my buddy has had, do you think sending them back to them would help? maybe they might give me a new one?........if not all of my business will go to my local hobby shop and i will stick the 6 cell 7.2 volt high energy brand batts. thanks.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Fanatic

any NiMH battery pack that does not contain "Sayno"cells is a pure waste of time and money. That has been a fact for many years now. I don't picture your batteries having more than 2 months lifespan of heavy use. Lipo's and Life's are the technology to invest in these days.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Tech Lord

You can try, but don't hold your breath. They told me once mine had been charged there was nothing they could (would) do. Like I was supposed to be able to just look at them and know they were bad?? I buy quality cells from a reputable dealer that I know will stand behind themif something is not right.
Old 03-28-2009, 04:35 PM
Tech Initiate

you would had been better off getting elite cells or energ matched cells
Old 03-29-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Initiate

thanks for the feedback..a guy i work with is willing to but them off of me for $20 a peice. i spent $22 on them. he's got a slash with a 10 turn brushed. my brushless and my buddys brushless(the one who fried the batts) seem to cause them to overheat. he didnt have any troubles with them until he swiched to vxl setup. so ill sell the batts and stick the the elite 5000 cells from like onlybatterypacks.com or cheapbatterypacks.com. any other suggestions on where i could find decent 6-8 cell nimh? thanks.
Old 03-29-2009, 11:59 AM
Tech Lord

Brushless setups can demand a lot of amps. Its pretty classic when poor batts are placed in that situation, they get very very hot. Same happens with cheapie lipos that can't "keep up" with amp demand, they get hot. Obviously the brushed setup is not drawing nearly the amps the brushelss setup is.

I'd go with CBP - they seem to have a lot of turnoaver so you're likely to get fresh cells there. Another place to look -

http://www.promatchracing.com/categories.php?cat=1

Reasonable priced, quality cells.
Old 03-29-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Initiate

yeah im bout to just go with CBP and promatch. i looked at the site and am convinced along with the feedback from everybody, that they are the way to go. you get what you pay for. thanks
Old 03-29-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87
any NiMH battery pack that does not contain "Sayno"cells is a pure waste of time and money. That has been a fact for many years now. I don't picture your batteries having more than 2 months lifespan of heavy use. Lipo's and Life's are the technology to invest in these days.

Wait, GP cells are a rebadged Sanyos? I thought that Sanyo NiMH were terrible. They were the king of NiCd packs back in the old days, but seems like the best NiMH cells today are the GPs, IBs, and your EnerG stuff...