R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-24-2009, 08:16 AM   #1
F-1
Tech Regular

Default What ESC to buy?

Hello, i need ESC for my Cat sx, for modified class. What to buy? I think its can be SpeedPassion GT 2.0, Tekin RS Pro, or LRP SXX, what do you think?
F-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:26 AM   #2
Tech Rookie

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Anything Novak .
Steve-0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #3
Tech Initiate

Out of the three you listed, go with the Tekin! Small footprint, light weight, small capacitor and no big heatsink and fan. The Hotwire software is really easy to use, there are tons of tuning options for these ESC's. And as icing on the cake, the bar of LED's Tekin uses will (among its other functions) help you monitor the temperature of the ESC to aid in gear selection.

Also, Tekin's customer service is unbeatable, take a look at this thread for proof:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...s-offroad.html

You can't go wrong!
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 10:03 AM   #4
Tech Regular

The Tekin is good, +1

I wouldn't go with the Novak simply because of its size.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 12:43 PM   #5
Tech Adept

+2 on the tekin.... most 4wheelers don't have all that much room for electronics so it helps to have a small footprint for the esc and reciever
2dialed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Yo i like F1 too.

Don't buy a tekin, It's overly complicated and you will prolly get frustrated with it.

Get the LRP Sphere comp or the sphere Sxx. Simple and works awesome.

Thats what most of the guys use around here because they are the best for the user. Uber smooth and very simple to set-up.
Old 03-24-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Yo i like F1 too.

Don't buy a tekin, It's overly complicated and you will prolly get frustrated with it.

Get the LRP Sphere comp or the sphere Sxx. Simple and works awesome.

Thats what most of the guys use around here because they are the best for the user. Uber smooth and very simple to set-up.
Overly complicated? that would be the lrp, a fan to break, power cap on a long wire to figure out how to mount, and a "press the button and count the light and hope you got it right" ESC programing system.
get the Tekin. get a hot wire. no fan to break, no heatsink needed, a short light cap that has no need to mount, and simple, no guess work programing with the hot wire. all my friends that have driven my RS-PRO have commented on how smooth the power is. yes I also have a Sphere comp tc, its a good ESC but the Tekin is better.
RC10 gt2
SC10
backyardracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:04 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I would go with the Tekin RS Pro, its small and there is no fan to go out of it and can run sensored or unsensored that way if the cable gets unplugged you can keep going unlike the Novaks. I think the Tekin is very easy to use, you can look at the lights while slowly rolling it to see if the sensor is working correctly, and with the Hotwire has lots of different options for timing. Tekin will also answer any questions you have in a very timely manor.
J Drye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:46 PM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by backyardracer View Post
Overly complicated? that would be the lrp, a fan to break, power cap on a long wire to figure out how to mount, and a "press the button and count the light and hope you got it right" ESC programing system.
get the Tekin. get a hot wire. no fan to break, no heatsink needed, a short light cap that has no need to mount, and simple, no guess work programing with the hot wire. all my friends that have driven my RS-PRO have commented on how smooth the power is. yes I also have a Sphere comp tc, its a good ESC but the Tekin is better.
What fan? If ur useing a tc in off road u should be shot. Also in your opinion the tekin is better. Also the lrp sxx has a small footprint and has already proven it self in the on road worlds and its not out till next month. Do some research before u post. Also post as an opinion.

Now for f1 all are good esc's. Personally i like lrp and plan on getting the sxx when its out.
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
gweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

TEKIN Rs Pro
jmonte23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Tech Champion
R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 520 (100%+)

Tekin Rs or Rs pro depending on motor selection. If you are gonna run under 5 turn then go w/ the pro. I dont think you will disappointed, especially if you get the hotwire. I have a Novak and IMO it isnt as good. I ran the same motor/gearing with both and the Novak got too warm for the gearing, the Tekin had no problem w/it.
flame56mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 04:30 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I have 3 spheres and no fans ? I guess if your looking for a footprint then go find bigfoot.

Anyways don't hate i didn't recommend a tekin.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:33 PM   #13
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

I have had a GTB for two years and have had no issues with it. It is a little large and the fan, after the second one, I stopped using it, with no heat issues.

Though I do like the GTB my next will be an LRP, to try something differnet, plus I like what I have read on the new x-12 motors.
Old 03-24-2009, 05:06 PM   #14
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by gweed View Post
What fan? If ur useing a tc in off road u should be shot. Also in your opinion the tekin is better. Also the lrp sxx has a small footprint and has already proven it self in the on road worlds and its not out till next month. Do some research before u post. Also post as an opinion.

Now for f1 all are good esc's. Personally i like lrp and plan on getting the sxx when its out.
spoken like someone that wont use something better just because of brand loyalty. Its been proven ON-ROAD?????? read your own post. why dont you put your LRP in your slash dum a$$. All posts on the internet are just opinions dum a$$.
Yes and buy someting not even out so you can see what kind of support you get. look at the HAVOC. major issues with something that was promised to be tested only to have masses of them just quit working.
Ive tried the lrp, mamba max, Havoc, GT-7 (for you old school people), Rooster, Tekin RS-Pro and many others. I'm not a noob. IMO(are u happy?) the Tekin is the best on the market right now.
RC10 gt2
SC10

Last edited by backyardracer; 03-24-2009 at 05:14 PM. Reason: miss spelling
Old 03-24-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
I have 3 spheres and no fans ? I guess if your looking for a footprint then go find bigfoot.

Anyways don't hate i didn't recommend a tekin.
sorry not tring to sound like im hating. I was using my tc in an b44 with a 6.5 and without the fan it would shut off the speed cont.(not motor therm.) with the tekin no problems. in my t4 (stock) it is smoother than any other ESC Ive used.
RC10 gt2
SC10