R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-23-2009, 10:36 PM   #1
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Best way to use brakes....

Just looking for info on what is the best way to use the brake is. I have tried to use the transmitter to ajust the brakes so when I let off the throttle the brakes automaticly kick in. This seems to work ok but there is a fine line with throttle control when slowing down from a high speed corner or landing a jump and needing to turn at the same time. Would I be better off ajusting the drag brake in the speedo or is what I am doing the best way to go about it? Thanks for any input !
Derry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:55 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

What ESC are you running?? Does it have a drag brake feature to lessen the amount of drag brake force applied.
Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #3
Tech Regular

What youíre doing is basically drag break, it would be better to adjust it on the speed control if you can just because the way you are doing it is going to leave a dead spot in your throttle.
Gliptal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:00 PM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Derry,

How you use your brakes is largely part of your driving style. Some racers program what is called "drag brake" into their cars which causes them to kick in when you release the trigger to neutral position. I don't think too many people use a very aggressive drag brake though. A slight amount can be helpful in jumping but too much can make your car nose dive in the air and act erratically while cornering.

As far as when you should actually apply the brakes, most of your braking should be done while your car is traveling in a straight line. You should brake at the end of the straight until you reach the appropriate corning speed, release the brake, and then apply throttle to carry a constant speed through the corner. You should accelerate after you apex and start exiting the corner. While you are in the corner, you can use the brake to help your car rotate. As your skills increase, you will be able to brake later and drive into the corner while braking. This is called trail braking but is a bit harder than braking in a straight line and may cause your car's rear end to spin out as the car may oversteer.

You should just experiment and see what works well for you. Braking later is harder but is a faster way to get around the track. Braking early and straight is easier, not as fast, but will get you around the track without stuffing your car into the pipe.
richard.bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:26 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bratton View Post

You should just experiment and see what works well for you. Braking later is harder but is a faster way to get around the track.
Not necessarily, but yea it is alot about your driving style. Think of it like a real car, let off before the turn and get back on power during exit. It is no different for these cars.

The BIGGEST thing is what type of car are you racing? Off-Road or On-Road? Mod or Stock? Is you track 180's or sweeping? There are a lot of different ways you can drive on a track.

Josh

Practice makes perfect, Track time is your biggest asset. Try to practice with fast racers but don't "race them" when you practice.
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:08 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by trx450racer174 View Post
What ESC are you running?? Does it have a drag brake feature to lessen the amount of drag brake force applied.
GTB.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:13 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gliptal View Post
What you’re doing is basically drag break, it would be better to adjust it on the speed control if you can just because the way you are doing it is going to leave a dead spot in your throttle.
Yeah...I'll give that a try. The dead spot is what I am battling. The speedo is set to the default profile which is 9% drag brake, which is not nearly enough. I'll set it to 20% or so and play around with that. Thanks for the input!