R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Mod Slash loses the Slash "feel"? (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/284424-mod-slash-loses-slash-feel.html)

CaptainHowdyt13 03-23-2009 01:50 PM

Mod Slash loses the Slash "feel"?

So I picked up a slash so I could run another class and not have to sit there twiddling my thumbs for 2 hours between heats. I raced Saturday night and stomped complete ass. Someone asked me, “why don’t you just run mod slash?”. Well basically, I haven’t had the time and money to slam into the slash to do so, and IF I did, I would go with an SC10. But to anyone that runs mod slash, after dumping lipo/brushless in it, does it still have that Slash “feel”? I LOVE racing this thing because of how it feels bone stock. Everything from the less than ideal tires to the speed of it. Just a really fun truck to drive. I’m worried that if I start upgrading it, I will not like it anymore, but at the same time, don’t want to be looked at like a sandbagger at club races, because truth be told, most of the spec slash drivers and fairly new.

pyro18t 03-23-2009 02:09 PM

I put a 2S Lipo and a 8.5T 4000KV motor in my Slash. It's definitely still a Slash, but everything else is box stock. Any faster and it wouldn't be fun. I think in Mod Slash after you do shock towers, shocks, springs, ball diff, yada yada yada, I don't think it would be as much fun. I'm sure this truck can be tuned into a decent racing machine, but that's not what it's all about IMO.

J

CaptainHowdyt13 03-23-2009 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by pyro18t (Post 5587109)
I put a 2S Lipo and a 8.5T 4000KV motor in my Slash. It's definitely still a Slash, but everything else is box stock. Any faster and it wouldn't be fun. I think in Mod Slash after you do shock towers, shocks, springs, ball diff, yada yada yada, I don't think it would be as much fun. I'm sure this truck can be tuned into a decent racing machine, but that's not what it's all about IMO.

J

Oh of course. And I mean that's exactly why I like driving it, not because it's fast, cuz it definitely isn't. It just feels really good, and it's just fun to drive around the track. So I can either have fun and beat up on new guys, (which I am SORT of a new guy myself), or go race mod slash with the other guys, and not have as much fun driving it stock.

pyro18t 03-23-2009 02:35 PM

Well I think you just answered your own question :)

J

OTE_TheMissile 03-23-2009 03:28 PM

Short of finagling traditional fuzzy & rib tires onto it, it's been my experience that anything you do to a Slash would be purely for personal preference. I've seen guys drop 6.5 brushless motors in these things and totally hate them, because those skinny block tread tires can't get that much power to the ground. They might be able to do something on a straightaway, but for the rest of the lap the truck is completely useless.

I've done a bunch of work to my Slash; aluminum spindles, C-hubs, rear axle carriers, and steering rack, I run a Futaba S9452 servo with a Kimbrough #124 1/5th scale gas car servo saver, 2S1P LiPo batteries, shocks off of an 1/8th Buggy, and a differential full of my "secret spooge" that basically makes it act like a posi. But I'm running a 27-turn Stock motor (according to ROAR's provisional SCT package), and I'm not any faster or slower than anyone else. But my truck does handle a little differently as a result and I feel safe enough that I can push it a little harder without worrying about breaking something or blowing a shock. The only advantage I gained by working on my truck was fitting it to suit my driving style, and if the brains fall out halfway through the race I'm just as screwed as anyone else :lol:

Just my $0.02

Crawler 03-23-2009 03:37 PM

I installed the Castle Sidewinder w/ a 4600 KV motor and a 2S lipo. It's a hoot!:nod:

Still handles like a turd, just a much faster turd!:lol:

Czolgosz 03-23-2009 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13 (Post 5587038)
...but at the same time, don’t want to be looked at like a sandbagger at club races, because truth be told, most of the spec slash drivers and fairly new.

If you have enough Slash' showing up consider running an Expert class.

That's what is done at Hot Rod Hobbies. We usually have north of 25 Slash' a night w/ two to three full Sportsman classes and a full Expert field.

Oh and for giggles I put my son's 3s lipo in the truck (everything is still stock); it was a blast on the street, not sure if I can tune the stock suspension enough to make 3s fun on the track though.

pyro18t 03-23-2009 03:43 PM

Yeah I really like my BL setup in my Slash... it's pretty much perfect. Then again I've been in RC for 15 years so I'd like to think that I can handle the extra speed, although the Slash does make it a challenge sometimes.

J

v1r killer 03-24-2009 12:57 AM

the standard speed control can only handle up to 8.4v in nimh batts correct, so i was asking if i am better getting a 3800 lipo 7.2v or a 4200 8.4v nimh, and are the shocks up to the task or are metal caps worth getting as an upgrade for racing open dirt nitro tracks.:batman:

pyro18t 03-24-2009 01:13 AM

The 7.2V 6cell pack will be fine. I haven't had any problems with my shock caps as of yet. I think that you'll be fine

J

123quattro 03-24-2009 06:53 AM

The stock shock caps suck. Get the aluminum ones if you are going racing.

I have a Novak SS (5800kV) in my Slash. It can be a handful to get it hooked up sometimes. Other than that, it's just like a regular Slash. It just clears doubles much easier.

Lightin' 03-24-2009 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13 (Post 5587166)
Oh of course. And I mean that's exactly why I like driving it, not because it's fast, cuz it definitely isn't. It just feels really good, and it's just fun to drive around the track. So I can either have fun and beat up on new guys, (which I am SORT of a new guy myself), or go race mod slash with the other guys, and not have as much fun driving it stock.

That can be said for any electric class. In the hands of an experienced driver stock-speeds are always easier to drive and may lose their "feel" as the driver moves on to faster classes where quick reactions come into play.

Originally Posted by CaptainHowdyt13 (Post 5587166)
at the same time, don’t want to be looked at like a sandbagger at club races, because truth be told, most of the spec slash drivers and fairly new.

Sandbagging and beating up on the new guys in my eyes isn't appropriate for an experienced driver against those guys trying to get into racing a spec class so many tracks ran these trucks as last year.

my 2 cents