R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-04-2002, 05:24 AM   #1
Tech Rookie

Send a message via AIM to uDi_NMT   l z
Arrow RB C12 vs Nova CX12 vs OS 15 CVR

Hi ppls

Which of these engines is a better option for the NMT going offroad 20% of the time and the rest onroad? The first two engines are VERY similar and the CVR may not have as much topend as I want. Are Nova's/RB's as hard to tune as people say, or can it be accomplished with a little practise? Also what are the advantages and disadvantages with PS or non PS? Please help me out. I can get any of these engines w/no PS and a bump starter for about the same price i can get them with a PS, so it really dosent matter too much price-wise. Also I need to know the key differences between the CX12 and RB C12 (except the colour and head )

Sorry about all the Q's
Thanx guys, i just registered here BTW
uDi_NMT   l z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2002, 01:35 PM   #2
Tech Rookie

uhh, can anyone please help me?

thanx
Old 02-05-2002, 05:13 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to SkipGear

First question back to you is, what truck is it going in?
* This will decide rear exhaust, side exhaust, slide carb, rotary carb, pull start, non pull start, etc.

Second question is will you be racing or just playing?
* This will determine how much motor you really need. The more high strung motors for racing will not last as long bashing. Also, if you want to race, you need to have a .12, at least here in the US, .15's are not legal in offroad.

All the motors you listed are good motors. I am partial to the any NovaRossi based motor. They seem to have the best reliability and have more tricks done to them from the factory.

As far as tunability, there isn't really one harder to tune than another. The Rossi motors come with an excelent carb. The OS motors have a very good carb also. Not sure on the RB. The only motor that I have found hard to tune are the original Trinity/Picco motors with the plastic carbs. Those carbs sucked. On the track, the RB and Rossi's are most popular around my area. Both are fast.

To pull start or not to pull start? If you don't need a pull start, don't get one unless you are looking for convenience. With a pull start you don't need to lug around a starter or bump starter and battery but your truck has to lug around the extra weight of the pull start when on the track. Pull starts eventually fail over time.
Old 02-19-2002, 08:04 PM   #4
Tech Rookie

Okay thanx for the reply skipgear

heres the answers to your questions:

1. I have a HPI Nitro MT (not a race truck, I know, but I wanted the 4WD handling advantage, as I drive onroad a lot)

2. Mostly Playing, but I may decide to race in the future (our track accepts 4WD St's). Im no serious basher, and I drive onroad most of the time (other than a few medium jumps offroad once in a while)

And I have been told that the RB's have much better manufacturing quality than the Novas, (even though they are very similar) so I am quite biased towards the RB for now. Forget the CVR, Im not really considering it any more.

Thanx again

uDi
Old 02-19-2002, 09:25 PM   #5
Tech Regular

Send a message via AIM to SkipGear

I still must say I prefer the Rossi motors. Preferably the Mugen MT-12 or the Serpent Mega version. I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that there are build quality issues with Rossi's. I know of 2 motors right now that have gone through 2 years of TC racing and over 6 gallons of fuel each and are still going strong. Neither motor shows signs of needing a rebuild. Both are on the original piston, sleeve and rod. I really have never seen anybody have any problems at all with the Rossi's.

Being that the MT has an inline motor, you will probably have to stay with a side exhaust motor. This so you can get headers and pipes for it. I am pretty sure you could use a T-Maxx header with any side exhaust motor on that truck and be able to use better pipes.

Other than that, pick the motor you would like and have fun.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:10 PM   #6
Tech Rookie

cool thanks.