R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-22-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to vstrok
Default "Tools of the Trade"

Hey Guys - looking to get a nice/cheap beginner tool set. I have the Slash. I just want something affordable that will help in all aspects of maintenance and repairs. I am currently using "normal" tools, and I am finding them way too cumbersome.

Thanks
vstrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 07:45 AM   #2
Tech Adept

here is a set of integy tools for a good price http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...564&p_catid=11

Team Associated/ Seidel Racing/ Team Scream Racing/ Nike 6.0/ RC Madness
b4.1 novak gtb/ velociti 6.5r
b44.1 lrp sxx tc spec v2/ velociti 5.5r
TNS Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:07 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

For a few dollars more you can get the Team Associated hex driver set. The tip are replaceable and almost every shop and on-line store has or can get Team AE Parts.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/17393

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:39 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

I have a set of these, I also use their nutdrivers.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=DYN2819

While they do lack the 'bling' factor, I have yet to strip one. Most local hobby shops carry them, which is also a plus. No replaceable tips, but for the price, replace the whole set!
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 08:50 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNS Racing View Post
here is a set of integy tools for a good price http://www.integy.com/st_prod.html?p...564&p_catid=11
I have this set in black, they work nice....but I wish I got the AE set, as they are color coded, and the handles have more grip to them. If your hands get slightly sweaty, or some oil on them, they are hard to grip well. It's like holding a round tube.

I ended up getting a few of these in 1.5, 3/32 for my Losi's, and 5/64 tends to fit most of the Traxxas Slash. I use them with a B&D Lipo screwdriver.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...er+bit&x=0&y=0
Old 03-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #6
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I just broke my second Integy hex driver (out of a set of 5, two are down) One, I snapped the tip off (the buisness end) and the other, the set screw in the handle stripped out, and won't hold the bit any more.

I wouldn't recommend Integy, because of this. I'd invest an extra $10-$15, and go with the MIPs. I haven't use the Losi set yet, but they look quite nice.

Johnny
f00fy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00fy View Post
I just broke my second Integy hex driver (out of a set of 5, two are down) One, I snapped the tip off (the buisness end) and the other, the set screw in the handle stripped out, and won't hold the bit any more.

I wouldn't recommend Integy, because of this. I'd invest an extra $10-$15, and go with the MIPs. I haven't use the Losi set yet, but they look quite nice.

Johnny
Luckily I have not broken any yet.... But I use my MIP for 90% of the
Screws on my stuff. I bought an extra 1.5 MIP just in case but they
Work well for me.

I
Would look at the AE stuff....
Old 03-22-2009, 03:12 PM   #8
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Get either in no order....

Mip
Hudy
AE
Losi

all is good.

Axial set looks nice too.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:14 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RB FIVE View Post
Get either in no order....

Mip
Hudy
AE
Losi

all is good.

Axial set looks nice too.
+1,00000,00000000000000,0000000000 Accepte let me Revise the List in My order

Mip
Mip
Mip
Schumacher
Hudy
AE
Losi

I have had MIP Thorps since I started in 99-00 and have Never stripped one, These things are Beasts! They have massive handles and are great, I know you think that (I don't want to spend that much) I thought that aswell. All I can say is these pay for themselves 1,000 times over in moeny and most importantly HEADACHES. You will save screws and minimize the chance of stripping a screw due to bad quality Tips a million times over. There is nothing more aggrecating then having to Drill or Cut out stripped screws....

I have the hudy/Schumacher drivers aswell and I really love them accept 1 major flaw they are very long tips and if you come across a screw such as a locktighted motor mount screw in 1/8th (they use 2.5mm).. You can come to a point of tourqe where the tip will shatter in a way similar to a circular fracture. This is where the shorter thicker tips of the MIP have a better advantage. More energy is put into the screw than the tip.

I actually have a set of Team Kinwald Drivers, I was never a fan. But they are actually great tips, although the Base/Handle are crap. What would happen is Unlike the Hudy/Schumacher the tips where not replacable with a Set screw and the Kinwald tips would loosen in the handle. So after you came to a certain Tourqe it would spin in the handle.

Hope this helps, This is my personal review on these wrenches, I would invest in only these three personally Mip/Schumacher/Hudy. With the Schumacher/Hudy go with whatever is cheaper. We had a sponsorship through them so they were ALOT cheaper than Hudy for Me.

Josh
Btw, Schumacher and Hudy are the same Exact wrenches so go with the cheaper IF you use these.
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

If I had to do it all again, I wouldn't get the Losi hex drvers. They are far too short for some applications. I would go for something from AE, Hudy or MIP. They are very high quality and the right length. Just my 2 cents worth.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Tech Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00fy View Post

Johnny
I have a couple Integry hex drivers and I'm also very unimpressed. The nut that holds the shaft is seized and stripped out on one of them, the other stripped on a pinion nut. Although not as convenient, I just purchased a craftsman set. If they strip, sears replaces them. Easy as pie.
Ryandrea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 95 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I have this set in black, they work nice....but I wish I got the AE set, as they are color coded, and the handles have more grip to them. If your hands get slightly sweaty, or some oil on them, they are hard to grip well. It's like holding a round tube.

I ended up getting a few of these in 1.5, 3/32 for my Losi's, and 5/64 tends to fit most of the Traxxas Slash. I use them with a B&D Lipo screwdriver.

http://www.amainhobbies.com/advanced...er+bit&x=0&y=0
traxxas uses metric screws...
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:06 PM   #13
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

1 mip is the best
2 for the money dynamite cant be beat
3 hudy is over priced junk
4 ae has always been good
5 integy dont last long and break

i have pretty much tried them all, i think allen drivers with silver tips last longer than black or blue steel.
jnslprd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:40 PM   #14
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I use regular tools from companies like Husky, Craftsman and Snap-On. I even have a set of screw drivers and ratchet style screw driver from Workforce. They all do the job for me no problem. I can't fathom spending money on cheaply made hobby screw drivers.
JDMThoughts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:24 AM   #15
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Does Bolink still sell the Torquer wrenches??? i've had mine for over 20 years now.
bshack is offline   Reply With Quote