R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #61
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

another tip, if you are looking to replace the front bulkhead with an aluminum one, trinity in this case, I found out that the new BK2 one is exactly like the one made for the NT with the inclusion of set screws, same price ...

TRI34033
aaronb73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2004, 09:59 PM   #62
Tech Regular

Default captured thrust washer-

you can use traxxas thrust washer, it already has the grooves in the washers, and when i put them in my xxxt the diff was far smoother than ive ever built.
xxxtracer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2004, 05:40 AM   #63
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 156 (100%+)

I used from the xx4 diff the thrust assembly with the washers that have the grooves in them and the balls are captured in a bearing. You are correct it is much smoother than the stock thrust bearings.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:52 AM   #64
M 5
Tech Regular

Thanks so much for the advise!
I will compare the parts now.

By the way, anyone got GPM hop-ups for your XXX-NT? I found this site www.asiatees.com which carry GPM stuff, pretty cool aluminums!.
M 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 09:09 PM   #65
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Guys, I am getting in on the tail of this thread but I will offer my 2 cents.

The O.S. cvr .12 and Fantom fr.12 (new edition) are both good motors. The O.S. seems to have a "smoother" power band than the Fantom. The Fantom has a stronger power band yet doesn't get out of control. I run the O.S. around 225 deg. and the Fantom at 235 to 240. Keep in mind every motor differs and you can't just tune buy the temp.

Hop up's for the NT are also availible at Native Racing's web site

remotecontrolhobby.com

P.S. Troy at Fantom is very easy to deal with on tech advice.

Brandon
[email protected]
Brandon Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 02:09 AM   #66
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to clarkrw3 Send a message via Yahoo to clarkrw3

Well I took the plung and got a Drake!!
So now I have to build it and deside what I want to use as an engine. I have been told that I should get a Rossi, what do you all think? Also I should stay .12 right? Also any good tips on building it and any must have upgrades that I should get and use as I build it. I was planning on getting a hump pack for the electronics which carrier is the best. I am planning on getting an RPM bumper when I can. I got a 94359 servo for the steering servo...is this good or should I get something else and put this as the steering in my Savage?

Thanks
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 04:48 AM   #67
Tech Master

Clarkrw3,
I recommend a .12 that is ROAR legal if you plan on racing alot. Don't know much about the Rossi.

Hop-ups you might be interested in

trinity aluminum rear pivot support ( I have broke the stock graphite)

Native battery box (these are notorious for breaking on the stock version) You will need a 3/2 hump pack for this box. Not a NT pack
http://mivasecure.abac.com/remotecon...ode=ELCT-300BB

Receiver pack Pro match racing #1022

http://www.promatchracing.com/miscba...CEIVER%20PACKS

What ever motor you decide on break it in properly to manufactures instructions.

Brandon
Old 02-10-2004, 03:54 PM   #68
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to OvalEvader

I'm using a .12 SE wasp, very powerful. I have my endpoints set to 50%, and its still a bit to powerful for me.
OvalEvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2004, 10:13 PM   #69
Tech Regular

all my friend who race gas truck run the wasp motor, great fuel milage and power.
xxxtracer32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 07:32 AM   #70
Tech Elite

Everyone here either runs the MT12 or the os cvr. One guy i know had a wasp but didnt get very good life out of the motor for some reason. How many gallons are you all getting out there? I think he was like one and a half and it was done for some odd reason. Personally i run the os 12tr, i have put 6 gallons threw it and it still has compression, but the main bearing leaks so i am just goin to buy a new one.
Old 02-11-2004, 11:51 AM   #71
Tech Apprentice

If you plan on racing I wouldn't go out and buy the fastest engine you can find, in off-road it's about having a smooth engine so you don't do donuts.
rwjso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 01:47 PM   #72
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to OvalEvader

Just because an engine is powerful doesn't mean its not smooth. My Wasp is almost brand new, about 10 tanks ran through. It does roughly 8-9 minutes to a tank running a 170-180 and consistent power throughout. I love it, much more controllable power than the Mt-12.
OvalEvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2004, 03:17 PM   #73
Tech Master

You are right about the power. You can run any of these motors at 300 deg but control becomes an issue.

One guy here has an O S cvr that has at least 5 gallons through it! He is good with the nitro's and at the same time mine has about 2 gal through it. Both motors running around 8 -9 minutes.

My Fantom is running on its second gal and still alot of compression. It also runs 8- 9 min.

I have heard good things on the WASP but never ran one.
Oval is right in that you can have a powerful motor with a smooth powerband.
Old 02-11-2004, 05:53 PM   #74
Tech Elite

I know what you guys are saying. I have a carb resrictor and my throttle arc turned way down so that i can control the truck and be smooth with power delivery. If your fighting the truck you have a tuff time driving the track. Once you have all that set up to your likeing then you can drive the track and make any setup changes, too much power is overkill. You do not need above a 1bhp motor, even that is almost too much. Its all how you have your controller setup, which helps with the smoothness of throttle delivery, and your traction control ( YOUR FINGER).
Old 02-11-2004, 06:42 PM   #75
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to clarkrw3 Send a message via Yahoo to clarkrw3

Thanks for the replies. Ok, I've started building mine. Is my steering servo going to be good I have an airtronics 94359 servo?
Also are there other aluminum parts I should be looking for (ie. Rear hub carriers, front and rear arm supports? Also are there tips or things I should watch out for?
It sounds like the general idea is running an OS cvr, or Fantum 12 or Wasp engine. No one has used the Rossi? Which of these engines are easier to tune and keep a tune better?
Thanks again
clarkrw3 is offline   Reply With Quote