R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Slash steering issue (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/283962-slash-steering-issue.html)

TheGasman 03-21-2009 07:24 PM

Slash steering issue

I posted this in the actual Slash thread but didnt get any response so I'll try this.

I was at the track last night and after tagging the wall in the main I noticed my steering was off center a good bit. I adjusted the trim and got it back straight but a few turns later I had to adjust it back the other way. I just kept chasing it back and forth and it made for a long 7 minutes. I know I stopped to adjust this like at least a dozen times. I was able to finish the race but Im not sure exactly what the issue is. I took the servo apart to check the gears and they look fine. That lead me to believe the only other thing that could be wrong is the servo saver. The steering rack is in place and tight. Has anybody else had an issue of this sort? Thanks!!

RobbieS 03-21-2009 08:09 PM

If your servo gears are not missing any teeth then the problem is the servo saver. The traxxas servo savers have a habit of failing after a hard hit. Get a new one and all should be good. If your track allows it I would switch to a Kimbrough Servo Saver.

TheGasman 03-21-2009 08:27 PM

Thanks man! I figure that had to be the problem but wanted to see if this is a common issue. I dont know if they would allow the Kimbrough or not. They are pretty strict on the spec rules. Guess I need to pick up a few Traxxas savers.

whitrzac 03-21-2009 09:27 PM

Originally Posted by TheGasman (Post 5579925)
Thanks man! I figure that had to be the problem but wanted to see if this is a common issue. I dont know if they would allow the Kimbrough or not. They are pretty strict on the spec rules. Guess I need to pick up a few Traxxas savers.

I think the kimbrough on is too soft, I like the ofna one...:nod:

scrapen 03-25-2009 03:39 PM

I had this same kinda issue yesterday at the track all I did was take the servo saver off and reentered it and works fine! Hope this helps…

xDaRReLLx87 03-25-2009 03:49 PM

Get a better servo, that the servo saver will actually work for, such as the Hitec- HS-985MG servo
but that may alter your so called spec vehicle.

TheGasman 04-02-2009 07:13 PM

Just thought I would update you guys on what I found. I went through the whole steering rack and everything looked fine. Replaced the servo saver and still had the same problem of servo not centering very well. I replaced the servo with a new one just like it and now the problem is fixed. Even though the gears in the servo looked fine it was almost like the motor was hashed or something.

I did find out that they will allow upgrade servos and servo savers at our track so when this one dies I will be upgrading.:nod:

Thanks for the help!;)

xDaRReLLx87 04-02-2009 07:14 PM

well in that case, just note that digital servo's are not a good idea to use when running electric R/C cars. A coredelss motor servo will be just as smooth and fast @ 6.9V

TheGasman 04-02-2009 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 (Post 5633279)
well in that case, just note that digital servo's are not a good idea to use when running electric R/C cars. A coredelss motor servo will be just as smooth and fast @ 6.9V

Was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads up.:)

xDaRReLLx87 04-02-2009 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by TheGasman (Post 5633302)
Was not aware of that. Thanks for the heads up.:)

well the digital draw amps when in a bind such as when servo saver is in use, and this decreases your run time and isn't healthy for your battery in most cases. It is not a set in stone thing, but I don't use them and many other driver's seem to do the same as well.

TheGasman 04-02-2009 07:22 PM

Any servos in particular you would recommend?

xDaRReLLx87 04-02-2009 07:25 PM

JR, Hitec, Orion

I prefer that order but Hitec is pretty sufficient for R/C vehicles.

losi_racer 04-02-2009 07:30 PM

i have an jr 8800 in mine and i dont want it in my slash its just in the temp, the stock one went out during practice one day. will a cheap servo work good in a slash or do i have to get the expensive ones like my 1/8th

xDaRReLLx87 04-02-2009 07:32 PM

The Hitec HS-985MG is $69 and it works really well. 0.13s speed
and over 140 in torque @ 6.9V anyway. I'd use a "BEC" regulator to
ensure you get 6.9V on an electric car. That is a real nice metal gear servo with a cordless motor. It is real reliable. I prefer JR for 1/8 as well :p

ChrisWolfson 04-02-2009 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 (Post 5633279)

I really disagree with this statement... I'm running Orion Vortex digital servos and they run awesome... The advantage is the precision.