R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-21-2009, 04:18 PM   #31
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosidge View Post
Reading this is all quite scary - seems like loads of people have no idea about passing etiquette at all.

Do people ever watch full-size motorsport before coming to an RC track? Or do they just assume that RC has no rules?
ya! We watch NASCAR But seriously there are to many people that just go balls to the wall and then lose it, taking me or you out with them
And if you are that person that does that shit, Plan on getting a earful on how it is.
Old 03-21-2009, 07:52 PM   #32
Tech Rookie

I know at the local hobby shop, we have a 72 x 32 ft. track. The off road guys have fridays and sundays to race. On fridays, we are pretty laid back because there are more slashes, but we have a class for stadium trucks.

I know that if I bump someone I will say Im sorry and most of the guys tell me not to worry about it, so ya we bump a little on fridays but most of us know that its bound to happen and we dont mind a couple of scratches on our bodies.

But if you go on sunday, be prepared. Those guys are something else. I know that a couple of them have short fuses when it comes to there car being marsheled.

I am at least a good sport about racing, because its fun. People just need to learn to relax and enjoy. I let people pass if I know they are faster, and I race as clean as I can so if that means I go wide, so be it.
RC8T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 08:04 PM   #33
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Reading this is all quite scary - seems like loads of people have no idea about passing etiquette at all.

Do people ever watch full-size motorsport before coming to an RC track? Or do they just assume that RC has no rules?
CORR - Lots of bumping and rubbing
BAJA - Try not to, but it happens
Rally - Hopefully not with a tree
Formula 1 - Clean
Nascar - Have you seen the end of a race? There a more cautions than a pack of cigarettes! Those hacks are hitting each other and running into the wall like they have no idea what's going on. I would definitely step on their car if they were running RC at my track...
paco62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 09:27 PM   #34
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I find the best way to keep trilerian from passing me is to hide his batteries before the main!
But on the serious side, we've created a rule at our track that in two years of racing haven't had to inforce yet. If you take position by hard contact, whether
accidental or not, and don't allow the position back, you get a free pass down pit lane. If you refuse the pit lane pass, your docked a lap. With 10-11' wide lanes there's plenty of room to pass without turning a guy in the corner to take advantage. With this unused rule in place, the result is: Clean racing!
You might guess we got tired of "dirty racing"
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #35
Tech Legend

Default Etiquette

My favorite pass is to give um the wheel
and then yell "beat -it" as fly by um ....
Wild Cherry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:15 PM   #36
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:

I think some think that there are no rules except for he who finishes first wins.I for one dont care for the rubbin is racing philosophy that some seem to live by.
Old 03-22-2009, 02:22 AM   #37
Tech Addict

If I'm being lapped and not racing for position, I have no problem letting someone by. But if i'm fighting for position, passer beware, I'm not giving up a position to let someone by.

If i'm the passer and they other won't let me by, I pressure cook them, I run behind them and mimic them till they make a mistake. I have also waited for the big jump and leapfrogged over them if they are blocking me
crazyjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:47 AM   #38
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
As far as crowding in on the straight. That person is just tryin to take the line away from you, or could just be an inferior driver. Crowding in on the straight is just a small way of "intimidation" of sorts. Now crowdin someone and running them down into the pipe are way different. Racing down the straight side by side and crowding in on them WITHOUT TOUCHING of course, is all good, that is racing. A person that is running you into the pipe is just being a dick, or doesnt have enough skill. IF the guy runs you down into the pipe ask yourself this, would you rather be right and in a wad in the pipe? Or just back out of the gas a touch, let him go by and then pass him back a corner or two later? If you arent good enough to pass him back anyway what does it matter?
If someone's crowding me on the straight, I'll just slow a little bit earlier than usual. If they are really trying to crowd you they'll turn in too sharp and take themselves out anyway.

My policy on passing is this, If I'm about to be lapped I tell the person on the stand go inside, if my lap is a little slower it's my fault I'm getting lapped. If I'm lapping a car I expect the courtesy I show on the stand to help me out later, I give them a lap to move over or blow a line, then a love tap usually gets the message across. Racing for position I just shadow the guy in front of me if he's running good lines, they either get nervous and goof up or blow a jump, then I pass.
markt311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #39
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by paco62 View Post
CORR - Lots of bumping and rubbing
BAJA - Try not to, but it happens
Rally - Hopefully not with a tree
Formula 1 - Clean
Nascar - Have you seen the end of a race? There a more cautions than a pack of cigarettes! Those hacks are hitting each other and running into the wall like they have no idea what's going on. I would definitely step on their car if they were running RC at my track...
well said, seems like people at my track are really high strung, any other tracks like that?
markt311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:32 AM   #40
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

passing is pretty hard but if you do it right it can happen like get close to someone right on there tail and ride there and he will lose his line and either jump off the track or flip but it doesn't always work but sometimes it does
race it break it fix it Brandon Hawkins
crawlerguy220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #41
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightin' View Post
How slow are you if you're getting lapped by 2nd and 3rd place cars?
You're the poster child for how not to do it. Being discourteous on the track whether it's to a leader or someone else that has chased you down leaves you open to anything they feel right in doing to get by since you're potentially changing the outcome of the race.
You probably get punted a lot at the end of the straightaway, huh?
Nah that was just an example i am not that bad i either get 3-4th postion in electric racing thats all i race but i get reall close to 2nd and 1st position drivers so don t make fun of me waah i dont get punted at the end of the straight you do
race it break it fix it Brandon Hawkins
crawlerguy220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 10:43 AM   #42
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

If you hack, stop until they fix the person you hit. Some racers don't and IMO they shouldn't race. Someone should start a thread on hackers so everyone knows who they are.
desertraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 01:56 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Racing is racing. My take on passing is do what you can. If your going to wreck someone intentionally your an a$$. If it happens and was not intentional, oh well.

Usually I let faster drivers pass me, then I try to learn from them by trying to keep up. If I wreck someone, by accident, and they dont like it, then oh well.

Its racing, not pollitically correctness.
Old 03-22-2009, 07:17 PM   #44
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

A hack is intentional. Why do some stop and others don't if you know you hit someone? People take it to seriously, they're only toy cars. What ever happen to sportsmanship?
desertraton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 07:02 PM   #45
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 37 (100%+)

Well, I'll tell you what happened to me this weekend. In our A-main for cash no less, the 1, 2 and 3 cars were very close after the start of the race. 1 got out clean with a decent lead and the 2 and 3 cars were extremely close. The 3 car came up on 2 several times and the 2 car would almost always get loose coming out of a high speed corner which would make the 3 car back out of the throttle until the 2 car gained control OR they would have got tangled up and each lost position. Anyway, the 3 car eventually made a clean pass and held the position for a short time until the 2 car bumped from behind on a STRAIGHT portion of the track using the 3 car as a brake and causing it to spin out.

That happened twice from a very experienced racer and has never done that before. This was a money race and my thoughts were that the money may have clouded his judgement. Oh by the way, I was the 3 car and we both were faster than the 1 car and could have possibly passed him if we could have seperated ourselves from each other. Lesson learned I hope.

Jon

Last edited by jm_obrien; 03-23-2009 at 08:33 PM.
jm_obrien is offline   Reply With Quote