R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-21-2009, 12:02 AM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

what i think the bigger problem is. during qualifieing people think its a race and block you or just dont let you by. if they are faster let them go. if you were faster you wouldent be in that position so let the faster man by.

also in the mains when passing lapped cars they go wide then chop you when they oversteer. i think if people woked on doing the right thing everyone would be faster. so as long as WE try to pass clean hopfully others will follow suit. although sometimes there are instances you cant help
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
gweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:04 AM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

As far as crowding in on the straight. That person is just tryin to take the line away from you, or could just be an inferior driver. Crowding in on the straight is just a small way of "intimidation" of sorts. Now crowdin someone and running them down into the pipe are way different. Racing down the straight side by side and crowding in on them WITHOUT TOUCHING of course, is all good, that is racing. A person that is running you into the pipe is just being a dick, or doesnt have enough skill. IF the guy runs you down into the pipe ask yourself this, would you rather be right and in a wad in the pipe? Or just back out of the gas a touch, let him go by and then pass him back a corner or two later? If you arent good enough to pass him back anyway what does it matter?

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:31 AM   #18
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
As far as crowding in on the straight. That person is just tryin to take the line away from you, or could just be an inferior driver. Crowding in on the straight is just a small way of "intimidation" of sorts. Now crowdin someone and running them down into the pipe are way different. Racing down the straight side by side and crowding in on them WITHOUT TOUCHING of course, is all good, that is racing. A person that is running you into the pipe is just being a dick, or doesnt have enough skill. IF the guy runs you down into the pipe ask yourself this, would you rather be right and in a wad in the pipe? Or just back out of the gas a touch, let him go by and then pass him back a corner or two later? If you arent good enough to pass him back anyway what does it matter?
Yeah but the problem is trying to tell the difference between the two when you are at a new track or at a big race. The guys I race with regularly, I know who I can run side by side down the straight with, and who I can't run with, for that matter, I know who I can pass when and where as well. When racing with people I know I generally get quite a bit of respect on the stand, other drivers move out the way for me, because they know I will try to pass clean and because of that they know they are holding me up, yet they don't move for everyone. Also they know that if I have a big lead over second and they are fighting for position I won't press the issue to get around them. It is against racers I don't know and therefore don't know much about their ability or driving style that gets me into trouble. But I have found that the most annoying racers to pass are the mid level racers at tracks I am new to. The second most annoying are the top guys at the track who don't want to be beat by an out of town guy.
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 12:35 AM   #19
Tech Elite

This was a funny incident(for me)at the last trophy race I went to. Tight indoor track, 2whl mod A main. I was leading the main and 2nd was maybe 12-15 feet behind. We were lapping people at this point some for the second time. We come up on this guy that had been difficult to get by the whole day(he was in my quals). He can hold his line, but was slow and this is a tight track and I think this was the second time we were lapping him. Anyway, I am right on him and losing time, 2nd is now on me. I go wide out of a corner to hit this long table top(not the line) just to get around him. 2nd goes inside and now has position on me, I let him have it. He follows the guy a few corners and goes for a pass, he has position on him BUT the lapper gets into him and only the leader gets wrecked, I knew it would happen. Leader says "what the hell man" lapper says " you gotta wait for it"(the pass). I just smile and go on for the win. When leaders are stackin up behind you like your the pace car under caution...MOVE! Just swing wide in any corner, do it right and you wont even lose a whole second that lap. When someone moves for me I almost always say thanks, and if my race is goin bad I tell people, "hey next corner" or "goin wide". Communication and Courtesy go a LONG way.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:39 AM   #20
Tech Elite

Trilerian, where do you race at?? I'm from IN too.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:44 AM   #21
Tech Elite

I say, dont concern yourself as much with other racers passing intentions and just race. If someone is continually making questionable moves just try and find a way to get around them. In qualifiers, BS driving "shouldnt" be happening anyway. In the main and its for position, wait for a mistake and plan your move.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:54 AM   #22
Tech Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeRayls View Post
Trilerian, where do you race at?? I'm from IN too.
For off road, mainly at embassy raceway. My father and I built the track and we are going on our 5th season this year. I have been to leisure hours once, and want to go back, but by the time I got home it was past 2am. Not much of a problem for me, but we generally car pool when we go out of town, and most of the guys don't stay up that late. I have gone a couple of times to Rochester as well, small indoor track but some good guys. Always looking for more places to race though, I think a few of us from our track may look for some tracks to run at when we aren't racing this year. Problem is, when you are involved with the track itself and have a responsibility to be there, its hard to get to other tracks when you are open. And my electronics play swap mode in the winter for my on road cars so my off road cars are generally shelved unless I have an excess amount of energy stored up.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:00 AM   #23
Tech Elite

I've heard of embassy, miket3 invited me to come up this year, he knows a guy a race with.

Theres a trophy race this sun. at HCRC, you should come out if you can.

Old 03-21-2009, 01:14 AM   #24
Tech Addict

I would if I could. Searched HCRC and found a track close to Indy, assuming that is you. Took a look at the video on the front, seems pretty nice. Last race of the season then? I got to work on our track tomorrow, I will talk to a couple of guys and see what they think. Do you have an 1/8 electric class?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:59 AM   #25
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Slashers !!!
Old 03-21-2009, 08:28 AM   #26
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilerian View Post
But I have found that the most annoying racers to pass are the mid level racers at tracks I am new to. The second most annoying are the top guys at the track who don't want to be beat by an out of town guy.
I get Both of those situations alot. We have no local track so I have to travel everywhere.That always makes me the out of town guy.The mid level guys you speak of I now see in the A more often,especially in stock classes, where up until last year you needed to know how to maintain, and tune a stock motor.Now with BL it takes that out of the equation so you get more mid level drivers that get lucky and get a fast qualifier in to make the A.You know the guys that can drive a line as long as they are by themselves,but put them next to you and it just seems like they gotta touch you before you get past them.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #27
Tech Elite

Tri, 1/8 electric usually run on sat., the very few there are.

RB, thats hilarious!! Idont think I've ever seen an actual pass in a slash class.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:06 AM   #28
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlerguy220 View Post
if i was being lapped by the leader i would let him by but anyone else i wouldn't because they are not first they are second third and so on so i just go the speed i was going then if they bump me and pass me i will catch up to them then i would ram then in the back end especially if they bumped me in front of someone and broke my rc i would be pissed
How slow are you if you're getting lapped by 2nd and 3rd place cars?
You're the poster child for how not to do it. Being discourteous on the track whether it's to a leader or someone else that has chased you down leaves you open to anything they feel right in doing to get by since you're potentially changing the outcome of the race.
You probably get punted a lot at the end of the straightaway, huh?
Lightin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 03:51 PM   #29
Tech Elite

Reading this is all quite scary - seems like loads of people have no idea about passing etiquette at all.

Do people ever watch full-size motorsport before coming to an RC track? Or do they just assume that RC has no rules?
sosidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 04:09 PM   #30
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

I think contact will always happen in r/c passing but if your showing etiquette and trying to achieve a clean pass all is good.

If your one of those dam "corner racers" you need to look at the big picture !

Qualifing..... if your caught the guy behind you is faster. Conceed.