R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-21-2009, 10:12 PM   #16
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

yup, check out the "Official XX-4 Thread."

I believe the discussion of it is on page 14 if you look back. But the CR rear end is a easy swap over on the xx4.
wayboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 10:13 PM   #17
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayboarder View Post
yup, check out the "Official XX-4 Thread."

I believe the discussion of it is on page 14 if you look back. But the CR rear end is a easy swap over on the xx4.
I got a XXX-4 on the way....will have to tinker around and see how I like it before I make any changes.
Old 03-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nikos2002

I will try and post a pic later of my xx4 with the CR rear - I am on my Iphone right now.

I could always had - too much front end with the one way in the xxx4, but when I ran the car, I didn't get as much practice time as I would have liked, so I didn't get to experiment a whole lot. I just tried to run the team set ups. Looking back I would start there and try to add more traction to rear.
nikos2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:04 PM   #19
Tech Elite

Image as promised. This is my XX4 CR (I guess is what I would call it). Currently, I am using the standard XX4 chassis (only cut out is one I made for the motor), CR rear end - all the other standard XX4 tricks included.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:14 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Man that's a nice XX-4

Jay
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 05:32 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeromeK99 View Post
The XX-4 does handle very nice on rougher tracks, but is much more fragile than the XXX-4. I find that the XXX-4 is very stable in the air, while the XX-4 needs a lot of attitude correction. Some people like that, I dont. The XXX-4, regardless of what the "net parrots" say, is pretty darn tough! Most of the complaints about the XXX-4 come from folks that haven't driven one or haven't driven once since the advent of brushless power systems and LiPo batteries. Makes the world of difference. Both these 4wd buggies are old in terms of r/c cars. Both are still very capable. It does take a little know-how to get the XXX-4 set up correctly though.

Jerome
Not for nothing but a well setup xx4 with a stick lipo (the best thing you can do to that car) jumps perfectly level in the air and doesn't need much attitude correction, also lands silently. With a stick lipo I can't think of a single thing the xxx4 does better than the xx4. I was/is still a big fan of the xxx4--and drove it with lipo and brushless, but I just think the xx4 is more stable, turns better, is easier to drive and more versatile than the xxx4. The xx4 can hang and win with anything out today. The xxx4 while still a great car is at a slight disadvantage at teh highest levels of competition. I do agree that the xxx4 is very slightly more durable but thats really its only advantage.

xx4 is a legend, plain and simple.

Tamiya 419x/Associated TC7.1/Sanwa M12s/Xpert servos
d16dcoe45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 11:46 PM   #22
Tech Elite

pyro18t- Thanks, appreciate it!!

I've been out of r/c since 2003 - last time I raced, I used a xxx4 - it was nice building the the xx4 up - using the same basic set up, used before - put it down and within 2 packs was very comfortable with the car. It had easily been 10 years since I drove a xx4 - and it felt exactly like I remembered it.

Raced in CT with the track owner - who just came back from the Cactus Classic (driving a B44) and a Kyosho sponsored driver - I finished second - not bad with a 14 year old design.

But set up and driven correctly - I've seen some amazing xxx4's also!
Old 03-24-2009, 12:14 AM   #23
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d16dcoe45 View Post
Not for nothing but a well setup xx4 with a stick lipo (the best thing you can do to that car) jumps perfectly level in the air and doesn't need much attitude correction, also lands silently. With a stick lipo I can't think of a single thing the xxx4 does better than the xx4.

Why does the stick Lipo make it better? It seems like you can balance the car just fine with a saddle pack...
richard.bratton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
Tech Elite

Anyone have a parts explosion for the XX-4? I'm just curious on how it goes together....I found a manual, but not a explosion view.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:56 PM   #25
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard.bratton View Post
Why does the stick Lipo make it better? It seems like you can balance the car just fine with a saddle pack...
You can but the advantage to having the stick is, well its a stick pack and they are 1. Cheaper, and 2. You can use them in all your other cars.
Its very easy to balance the car left to right with the stick in the xx4. Pull out battery, weigh it, write down weight. Weigh out electronics on the other side, write it down. Do that math we all learned years ago, subtraction and addition. Add weight till both sides are evened up and voila, a close to perfect left and right balanced xx4.
wayboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:22 PM   #26
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

@y2k
Manuals & parts explosions are on losi's site here...
http://www.losi.com/Products/Support...rodId=LOSA0011
pserve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 02:25 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by pserve View Post
@y2k
Manuals & parts explosions are on losi's site here...
http://www.losi.com/Products/Support...rodId=LOSA0011
Thanks...I kept looking on the site, just did not find it for some reason...