R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-18-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Start New or Rebuild? 1/8th

Hey guys,
I am wanting to make a 1/8th-E. My question is, should I start new, with the new car and everything. Or should I convert my old MBX-5? I was really hoping to use the tekno kit so I could still have mechanical brakes, but they don't have a kit for the mbx5. So what do you guys think? If I start new, what 1/8th scale do you guys like converted? When I got out of it the Losi and AE cars where not around, so I don't know how they handle or anything.

Thanks

Josh
JoshM20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 06:17 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I could've swore that I saw lots of MBX-5s that were converted over to brushless... So I took the liberty and did a search for you:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUAX1&P=7

I'm just simply pointing out that it exists, but I can't make any recommendations since I've never used these conversion kits from Novak.
Old 03-18-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
I could've swore that I saw lots of MBX-5s that were converted over to brushless... So I took the liberty and did a search for you:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUAX1&P=7

I'm just simply pointing out that it exists, but I can't make any recommendations since I've never used these conversion kits from Novak.
Oh, I know there are kits that exist. I was just wanting to use a tekno kit because I heard that it lets you keep your mechanical brakes. They do not make one for the 5 though. I'm not even how the brakes on the brushless ones feel, so I am kinda lost their. I'm not sure how the 5 compares to the newer buggies either.

Thanks

Josh
Old 03-18-2009, 07:35 PM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The 5 is still a great buggy.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 08:49 PM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

mechanicalm brakes or motor brakes both are great i prefer motor breaks but i have an electric background there are other ways to get mechanical brakes besides the techno kit. Build them
Old 03-18-2009, 09:41 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

It is still a great buggy and can be converted to electric rather easily. You can even convert the "hot" hotbodies buggies as well It is always best to get the Nitro kits then convert them to electric so you can have a real drag brake and real brakes that are much easier to dial in without a labtop and increase your run time.
Old 03-18-2009, 10:02 PM   #7
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post
It is still a great buggy and can be converted to electric rather easily. You can even convert the "hot" hotbodies buggies as well It is always best to get the Nitro kits then convert them to electric so you can have a real drag brake and real brakes that are much easier to dial in without a labtop and increase your run time.
Yea,
I have the MBX's I raced them before I quit. I wan't to convert one but I want the mechanical brakes, so I was not sure how to go about it.

Josh