R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 04-03-2009, 05:51 AM   #46
Tech Regular

[QUOTE=ice-nine;5633739] but I still have to have the CAT.

QUOTE]

I told you so!!!! Get the Cat, it's the only thing that will make you happy... Don't forget tons of spares!!!!

Have fun!

CODMAN
CODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #47
Tech Rookie

Hi everyone, I'm new on here, I stumbled across it whilst looking for some set up info for my Losi xxx-4.. what a mine of information

I'm in the same boat, came back after many years out, almost 20, and got right back into it all again. Had to suffer a bit of stick from friends saying it was an excuse to hang around with kids, but that's not it at all, if anything, certainly in the UK anyway, it is proving very popular among the 'mid life crisis' brigade sucha s myself.

As has been said many times, the sport is so much easier now in terms of motors and batteries. In my day we used to struggle to make 5 mins with 1400 or 1700 mAh nicads that with hindsight really weren't suitable.

The route I went down, because I wasn't sure how long the interest would last, was to go 2nd hand, so I bought the xxx-cr and a xxx4-G+ rolling chassis and then built up the other gear as I went along. The question regarding 4wd cars in my view is that they are generally quite similar if set up right. The CAT SX is certainly the king of bling and a lovely piece of kit, and a world apart from the Schumachers of old which worked well but in terms of finish were a bit poor. There are one or two minor teething issues but on the whole they are pretty tough things. I've watched (not been in as I've not progressed that far yet) a fair few A-mains over here and there really is nothing between the B44, CAT, Yokomo, Losi (generally the XX4-WE is popular over here as it's better over bumps than the later XXX-4. Losi re-launched a revised version of the 'old' car basically admitting that it was better as the XXX-4 is based on a touring car platform), D4, Kyosho Lazer and Tamiya. The first 4 are the main players though in my opinion on our tracks.

Anyway, whatever you choose, you won't regret it, it's addictive this hobby so beware the wallet!

Cheers

Chris
Tony the Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #48
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I bought a ton of spares for my Cat SX, and in 2 months of learning the ropes again and hard crashing, I only broke the old (no longer available) weak style out-drives and one other part... for real 5 race meets and practice once a week.

Just put the med flex arms on, and watch this thing bounce off the worst crashes.

[QUOTE=CODMAN;5634851]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-nine View Post
but I still have to have the CAT.

QUOTE]

I told you so!!!! Get the Cat, it's the only thing that will make you happy... Don't forget tons of spares!!!!

Have fun!

CODMAN
geerno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 10:13 PM   #49
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

[QUOTE=CODMAN;5634851]
Quote:
but I still have to have the CAT.

QUOTE]

Have fun!

CODMAN
I sold the Yok at a loss, to boot. Yeah, you were right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
Hi everyone, I'm new on here, I stumbled across it whilst looking for some set up info for my Losi xxx-4.. what a mine of information

I'm in the same boat, came back after many years out, almost 20, and got right back into it all again. Had to suffer a bit of stick from friends saying it was an excuse to hang around with kids, but that's not it at all, if anything, certainly in the UK anyway, it is proving very popular among the 'mid life crisis' brigade sucha s myself.

As has been said many times, the sport is so much easier now in terms of motors and batteries. In my day we used to struggle to make 5 mins with 1400 or 1700 mAh nicads that with hindsight really weren't suitable.
Ah yes, the days of drilling holes everywhere, buying matched Trinity cells and babying them, and spending money on things like belt drive conversions (for Turbo Optima, like I did), etc, etc. But those sickly Nicads were all we had, and hey, it was fun. Although I must admit I lost as least two A's because I dumped and got passed on the last lap, so much for my calcuations.

About the kid's sport thing-- back in the 80's, I busted my tail, worked extra hours, and spent quite a bit on RC cars, and there were never a shortage of 30-40 year olds running highly modified RC10's, Yoks, CAT's, etc, and had budgets (and low-wind motors) to burn.

Some people get into drugs, some people jump out of airplanes, and some people like RC cars. I guess it never struck me as such a bad hobby, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony the Tiger View Post
The route I went down, because I wasn't sure how long the interest would last, was to go 2nd hand, so I bought the xxx-cr and a xxx4-G+ rolling chassis and then built up the other gear as I went along. The question regarding 4wd cars in my view is that they are generally quite similar if set up right. The CAT SX is certainly the king of bling and a lovely piece of kit, and a world apart from the Schumachers of old which worked well but in terms of finish were a bit poor. There are one or two minor teething issues but on the whole they are pretty tough things. I've watched (not been in as I've not progressed that far yet) a fair few A-mains over here and there really is nothing between the B44, CAT, Yokomo, Losi (generally the XX4-WE is popular over here as it's better over bumps than the later XXX-4. Losi re-launched a revised version of the 'old' car basically admitting that it was better as the XXX-4 is based on a touring car platform), D4, Kyosho Lazer and Tamiya. The first 4 are the main players though in my opinion on our tracks.

Anyway, whatever you choose, you won't regret it, it's addictive this hobby so beware the wallet!

Cheers!

Chris
Any number of cars are all REALLY GOOD, that much I'm certain of, it all comes down to the driver, like it always does. I don't like the CAT for bling, though, although it doesn't hurt. I like it because I see that Schumacher's knack for innovative and thoughtful design is still there.

Back in the late 80's, the CAT was revolutionary, with the other major innovator at that time being Yokomo, Yokomo has always been there, it's too bad they don't have more of a base here in the US. The original CAT was all business- pure race car. Unsightly pan chassis, narrow front tires, ball diffs and finicky but innovative drivetrain, ugly rubber band across the front end.

I thought the CAT was the Second Coming, especially when I drove against a good driver with it. I wanted one so badly, but couldn't afford it. Girls, go figure. So I raced 2wd mod instead, which definitely taught me more about driving, that's for sure.

Anyhow, run down some of us fancy folks with that XX4, will ya?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geerno View Post
I bought a ton of spares for my Cat SX, and in 2 months of learning the ropes again and hard crashing, I only broke the old (no longer available) weak style out-drives and one other part... for real 5 race meets and practice once a week.

Just put the med flex arms on, and watch this thing bounce off the worst crashes.
Crash? Me? I NEVER crash. Uh, duly noted.

Last edited by ice-nine; 04-04-2009 at 07:19 AM. Reason: adding content
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 05:45 AM   #50
Tech Regular

No need to explain you love for the CAt! Just get it, you know it will make you happy! And the real way to victory in this hobby is having fun! Once you've understood that, you're a winner no matter what you drive!

The CAT is an awesome car, even though I don't like the color of the anodizing... (personal preference that's all). I've always been a Yokomo fan. I had one of the first Superdogfighters that came out to rival the CAT (the C4). It was a bomb and blew everybody (CATs included) out of the water when it came out (when I drove well). I used to race in Mod With a Reedy Mod 17T tripple With 1200 SCR cells, geared to make the 4 minute cutoff. It was faster than all the guys racing 12 and 13 turns with 1700 SCEs at the time. Those were the days when 1 tooth on the pinion made all the difference... It was lots of fun, but I really appreciate the no hastle of Brushless and Lipo! Just concentrate on the cars handling and driving!

Anyways, it's great to see you love the CAT. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!

Cheers!

CODMAN
Old 04-07-2009, 05:50 AM   #51
Tech Initiate

Location: Too close to the great mouse house known as Disney World.
Send a message via Yahoo to Stone D

Thank you to all who posted on this thread. Due to it I have decided that my next ride will be a B44. (No timeline on that, as I dropped several hundred on upgrades and parts this week for my tc5)

Unlike Ice, I grew up in awe awe of AE, and am happy to be able to afford it now. So I am very happy to hear such good things about it now. I have a Trinity 13.5 that burnt. Though I replaced the motor, I was told that I could send it in and see what it would cost to have it repaired.

Considering cost vs performance, would I be better off to buy a new 6.5? I also am just returning to the hobby, and haven't honed my skills. Would I be better to stay with a lower class motor, and have the 13.5 repaired for this chassis? I think it would be best to stay in a lower class until I can improve on my skills, but don't even know the classes for off road yet.

I know I write books, so you can stop reading here. Unless you want a laugh, then read on...

I do have a Tekin RS sc, but bought the cheap version to start. When my TC5 stopped working in the middle of a run, I wrongly assumed it was the esc, because it would not arm. I picked up the sphere tc, and had the same problem. I didn't realize I couldn't run it sensorless, and smoked my motor while testing the reciever. I now have a new 3PM radio and a new Novak 13.5 in my TC as well.
Stone D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:31 PM   #52
Tech Adept

Oops, well, it happens though. That's a nice speedo, are you going to be dropping that in the B44 when you get it, or get a new one?
Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 AM   #53
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODMAN View Post
No need to explain you love for the CAt! Just get it, you know it will make you happy! And the real way to victory in this hobby is having fun! Once you've understood that, you're a winner no matter what you drive!

The CAT is an awesome car, even though I don't like the color of the anodizing... (personal preference that's all). I've always been a Yokomo fan. I had one of the first Superdogfighters that came out to rival the CAT (the C4). It was a bomb and blew everybody (CATs included) out of the water when it came out (when I drove well). I used to race in Mod With a Reedy Mod 17T tripple With 1200 SCR cells, geared to make the 4 minute cutoff. It was faster than all the guys racing 12 and 13 turns with 1700 SCEs at the time. Those were the days when 1 tooth on the pinion made all the difference... It was lots of fun, but I really appreciate the no hastle of Brushless and Lipo! Just concentrate on the cars handling and driving!

Anyways, it's great to see you love the CAT. I'm sure you'll have a blast with it!

Cheers!

CODMAN
Just ordered the car, CAT SX LiPo, for $428 shipped NIB, not too bad... but it has to come over the big pond first (from UK). And now, we wait.

I remember somebody running the Super Dogfighter, it gave him fits at first coming from an Optima Mid (Yoks tend to have LOTS of steering), but once he got it set up and learned to drive it, he swore by it. By that time, I was into 2wd Mod, but took notice that he did very well with it.

It's really too bad that Yok just can't seem to get set up in the US, distribution now is pathetic, worse than the 80's. Ultimately, that was the one of the reasons I didn't hold onto to the B-Max.
Old 04-08-2009, 07:42 AM   #54
Tech Regular

Yeah, Yokomo really needs better support. Or else your only solution is buying an almost complete set of spares from overseas and being your own LHS! I was tempeted at doing this when I got back into RC last year (like I said I'm a yokomo fan), but the cost was quite prohibitive (it was before the Bmax). As well, the B44 for the price is hard to beat. This added that my LHS, who is a really great guy, carried AE so it makes sense to support him as much as possible. I try to only buy mail order when he can't get me something. I race at his track, so if he closes, I don't race anymore! So the choice was fairly simple for me... Plus the B44 is an awesome car that is very competitive. It keeps me up there qwith the best local racers; only my driving talent is holding me back.

Anyways, have fun with your CAT!!!

CODMAN
Old 04-09-2009, 09:32 AM   #55
Tech Initiate

Location: Too close to the great mouse house known as Disney World.
Send a message via Yahoo to Stone D

Quote:
Oops, well, it happens though. That's a nice speedo, are you going to be dropping that in the B44 when you get it, or get a new one?
That's the plan. I'm not sure whether it would be better to have the smoked 13.5 repaired though. Don't know what it would cost, or if it would be a good choice to use in the B44. I saw the 6.5 motors mentioned in this thread several times.

So any opinions on what to do about the motor? Is there an off road buggy class for the 13.5?
Stone D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #56
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone D View Post
That's the plan. I'm not sure whether it would be better to have the smoked 13.5 repaired though. Don't know what it would cost, or if it would be a good choice to use in the B44. I saw the 6.5 motors mentioned in this thread several times.

So any opinions on what to do about the motor? Is there an off road buggy class for the 13.5?
Well, if you like your 13.5, see what it would cost to get it repaired. But you definitely have a lot of room to move up in motor if you're comfortable with speed. 6.5 will be pretty darned quick, 5.5 is about the fastest that most people would run for offroad on any track-- and if you're not up to it, you'll certainly find a lot of walls, and undoubtably be buying a-arms, shock shafts, etc, for the B44. The car will move with that much motor.

Hopefully some people with more experience will chime in, there is a ton of combined knowledge on this forum, that's for sure.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #57
Tech Adept

Well, everything is shaping up.

Just spent a buttload of dough, but here's what I have so far--

Schumacher Cat SX LiPo (coming from UK)
Speed Passion LPF 2.0
Speed Passion 6.5 brushless
CORE-RC 5000 LiPo (will drop right in the CAT)
Futaba 3pm FASST (didn't like some of the reports I read about Spektrum, so back to good old reliable Futaba)
KO Propo PDS-2511 servo
Max E6 lipo charger

Also got an extra 83t spur, medium flex front arms, rear roll bar set, losi shock oil set (20-40), and a 23t pinion.

Who makes good pinions nowadays? Schumacher seems to be out of stock on 21-22t. Also will probably go for another motor, an 8.5, which should be more reasonable for me, and better on smaller tracks.

Buying the full spring sets, Ruluxs, Double Dee's and Barcodes, a Kyosho wing mount, and other misc. parts, next week. Can't wait to get this all together!

Last edited by ice-nine; 04-11-2009 at 02:37 AM. Reason: content
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote