R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-20-2009, 10:11 PM   #31
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: st. louis
Posts: 845
Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)
Send a message via ICQ to cmain
Default

you might look at the DX3S radio it is full featured and comes with 2 receivers
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...ProdID=SPM3130
cmain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2009, 11:34 PM   #32
Tech Adept
 
ice-nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00fy View Post
Go visit your local track before buying anything. Matter of fact, you'll probably find a good deal on some parts there! See what everyone else is running, and ask them questions. You are sure to get the best info there, and an idea of what local support is like for any of the parts you select.

For batteries, check out eBay, look for IP or intelligent power saddle packs. They are a screaming deal, they are the OEM used by Trinity, and you can pay half the price if you don't care about the name. I have an IP stick pack already, and a saddle pack in the mail.

God luck with the B44, I don't think you can go wrong with one! Might even consider getting a used car, and making a decent investment in your radio gear (you will end up replacing a lot of parts on the car anway, maybe even replace it later on, but a good radio, you will likely keep for a while.)

That's my two cents. Only you will know what's best for you. If a good speed controller is $200, and you find an option on ebay for $50, then something is wonky about it. There's a reason the good ones cost $200.. Because they are good!

I just bought my son a Novak Havoc ESC w/8.5 turn brushless motor new for $130... We are installing it tonight, so I can report back on it afterwards, but it seems like a good deal so far...
Thanks for the excellent advice!


Quote:
Originally Posted by cmain View Post
you might look at the DX3S radio it is full featured and comes with 2 receivers
Thanks, depending on how I do with the overall budget, I might spring for something like that. I just don't know the company that well yet, they weren't around 20 plus years ago, and I still have Futaba on the brain, if you'll excuse me. I still like the Futaba 3pm FASST, too.
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 11:03 PM   #33
Tech Adept
 
ice-nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Did more research on the Spektrum. That's pretty amazing, I'll definitely have to free up some funds for that!

Thank you.
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 09:54 AM   #34
Tech Apprentice
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 74
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

I can totally realate, bro. I had Futaba on the brain, when I cam e back too. I had a few stereotypes when I came back, which no longer apply now.

I use the DX3S, I chose it over the DX3R because it came with two receivers. I narrowed my choice down to one of those two, because they use 4 batteries, rather than 8. It's very lightweight, which you would never think is that important, until after you drive one of these for a while. You'll be spoiled.

I'd recommend getting a nice radio system, and get a good used car, while you get used to coming back.
f00fy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2009, 11:52 AM   #35
Tech Master
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Monmouth Beach, NJ
Posts: 1,454
Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)
Send a message via Skype™ to vstrok
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4wires View Post
Welcome back. I was out of the hobby for 10 years myself. I came back a year and two months ago. And BOY things changed.

Buy a 4wd that your local hobby shop has alot of parts on hand. These cars brake. Not like years ago.

I bought Tekin RS Pro. Good tech support. I didn't buy a Hotwire until two weeks ago. You can still setup the Tekin RS Pro without the PC programming.

I started out with my old Futaba JR radio last year. My Novak mini RX went out on me last year at a big race in qualifing heat. I was leading it and on a 20 lap pace. I ended up buying Spektrum DSM radio. Don't have to deal with crystals and crystal changing.

Go with your gut feeling on buying your new ride and good luck.

Things definitely have changed! I got back into this a few months ago (after about 12 years out), and have never heard of LiPo's or Brushless systems. Run times of 1/2 an hour and more were never heard of back in my day of racing. The hobby has definitely grown for the best!!!
vstrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:17 AM   #36
Tech Adept
 
ice-nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Well, over the last few days I've pored over the 80 or so pages of the B44 forum. Don't worry, I packed a lunch. Very informative.

Still have Schumacher on the brain, though. I'm going to review the SX post and see how people are liking their cars. I just know how I am, and I have this nagging suspicion that if I don't get a CAT, it might just bug the hell out of me and I'll end up buying one anyways down the road. The S1 version (which apparently isn't sold in the US yet) is tantalizingly close to B44 prices, around $100 difference, and is already set up for LiPo.

If I do go Schumacher, I will probably MF myself to no end after I break that odd part I don't have a spare for on raceday, or when I have to maintain a 3 belt system vs. a shaft, but hey, I'm a knucklehead, that might be a worthwhile tradeoff. I've always wanted a Schumacher, and just couldn't afford it when I was a kid. We'll see.

Think I'm sold on the Spektrum DX3S, kudos to the good advice. The nice Ebay deals on the charger/LiPo is sounding like a plan. Still tossing around Tekin RS pro and probably entirely too much motor for me at first, 6.5 or 5.5, or the SpeedPassion GT 2.0 (IF I CAN FIND ONE, MAN YOU WEREN'T KIDDING RICHARD!).

Last edited by ice-nine; 03-25-2009 at 12:30 AM. Reason: adding
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 12:31 AM   #37
Tech Adept
 
ice-nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00fy View Post

I just bought my son a Novak Havoc ESC w/8.5 turn brushless motor new for $130... We are installing it tonight, so I can report back on it afterwards, but it seems like a good deal so far...
How'd that Havoc turn out?

Oh, btw, I know if I go with the CAT I'll need a stick liPo, guess I'll take that as it comes
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 07:28 AM   #38
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Ice, remember... This hobby is about having FUN!!!!! If you're in love with the CAT, you'll regret (and have less fun) buying anything else. Even if (and I say IF) there were better/faster cars out there (the top ones are all pretty similar in that respect). The B44 is definetly a solid choice for many reasons. If you want to go as fast as possible and have easy access to spares, it's the way to go. It's a bomb out of the box. But if you're in love with a CAT, you won't have as much fun with the B44! And in my oppinion, the CAT would be a better choice for you!

The real winner at the track is the one who has the most fun!

Just my 0.02$

CODMAN
CODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 04:26 PM   #39
Tech Adept
 
ice-nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODMAN View Post
Ice, remember... This hobby is about having FUN!!!!! If you're in love with the CAT, you'll regret (and have less fun) buying anything else. Even if (and I say IF) there were better/faster cars out there (the top ones are all pretty similar in that respect). The B44 is definetly a solid choice for many reasons. If you want to go as fast as possible and have easy access to spares, it's the way to go. It's a bomb out of the box. But if you're in love with a CAT, you won't have as much fun with the B44! And in my oppinion, the CAT would be a better choice for you!

The real winner at the track is the one who has the most fun!

Just my 0.02$

CODMAN
Well said, my friend. I think as compared to when I got into RC Cars, there is definitely a lot more parity now. B44, D4, Kyosho, J Concepts, Losi, Schumacher, Yokomo, the Durango coming up, etc-- heck, even Tamiya is making a serious car, if you want to step up for it.

It's all about the driver anyways, as we all know, and your ability to properly set your car up for the course and your style, and make adjustments quickly.

The sport was always lots of fun for me, so long as I could find time and afford it. I always loved tinkering with my car, trying to make it better, and learning learning learning. One thing I always liked was that when I was a kid, there was never a shortage of adults willing to help out, lend a pinion gear, give advice, help paint a body, etc. That was one thing I always liked about it.

One thing that I will never forget... Once at a carpet track, I came off a jump in practice and landed right on top of some kid's brand new Turbo Hopper with my JRX2, totally busting the front shock tower (chassis). After me and the adults tried in vain to fix the thing, I donated my Turbo Ultima that I was no longer using (completely Hot Tricked, red pan/towers/red anodized a-arms, it looked pimp), and everybody just pitched in... some adult donated a motor, another donated a battery, one of those rich Schumacher dudes even donated his backup Novak ESC! It was just unreal, but it was pretty awesome. The kid's Dad, who was pretty stunned that everybody was just giving away stuff, bought the rest of the gear on the spot, and we got the car running that day. By the time the kid got his first run around the track (we kept him 6 cell and stock class motor, don't worry), we were all watching and cheering him on, and the kid was so excited, you just couldn't help but feel good. I got virtually no practice in that day, but it was gratifying.

And as much as anything, that's what it's all about.

It's good to see that there are still plenty of good peeps out there, thanks for your help, hopefully I see some of you at the track!
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 09:24 PM   #40
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Appleton Wi
Posts: 773
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-nine View Post
Well said, my friend. I think as compared to when I got into RC Cars, there is definitely a lot more parity now. B44, D4, Kyosho, J Concepts, Losi, Schumacher, Yokomo, the Durango coming up, etc-- heck, even Tamiya is making a serious car, if you want to step up for it.

It's all about the driver anyways, as we all know, and your ability to properly set your car up for the course and your style, and make adjustments quickly.

The sport was always lots of fun for me, so long as I could find time and afford it. I always loved tinkering with my car, trying to make it better, and learning learning learning. One thing I always liked was that when I was a kid, there was never a shortage of adults willing to help out, lend a pinion gear, give advice, help paint a body, etc. That was one thing I always liked about it.

One thing that I will never forget... Once at a carpet track, I came off a jump in practice and landed right on top of some kid's brand new Turbo Hopper with my JRX2, totally busting the front shock tower (chassis). After me and the adults tried in vain to fix the thing, I donated my Turbo Ultima that I was no longer using (completely Hot Tricked, red pan/towers/red anodized a-arms, it looked pimp), and everybody just pitched in... some adult donated a motor, another donated a battery, one of those rich Schumacher dudes even donated his backup Novak ESC! It was just unreal, but it was pretty awesome. The kid's Dad, who was pretty stunned that everybody was just giving away stuff, bought the rest of the gear on the spot, and we got the car running that day. By the time the kid got his first run around the track (we kept him 6 cell and stock class motor, don't worry), we were all watching and cheering him on, and the kid was so excited, you just couldn't help but feel good. I got virtually no practice in that day, but it was gratifying.

And as much as anything, that's what it's all about.

It's good to see that there are still plenty of good peeps out there, thanks for your help, hopefully I see some of you at the track!
Well......That is what this hobby is all about. Giving a helping hand to others in need,making new friends and having fun.
__________________
Speed Passion-B-Fast R/C-Liverc.com-Dirt Heaven-Revolution Raceway-Venom Designs-M&M Home repair and remodeling LLC-92 Zero Designs.
b4wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:39 AM   #41
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4wires View Post
Well......That is what this hobby is all about. Giving a helping hand to others in need,making new friends and having fun.
Well thank God that is the case for most... But there are always those few who take it too seriously and can only think about their own laptimes, even when somebody else is in need...

Luckily, at my local track, we're a good bunch of fun helpfull guys, always ready to try and help if we can. The club is still growing though and I sure hope it stays that way.

CODMAN
CODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:50 PM   #42
Tech Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Appleton Wi
Posts: 773
Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODMAN View Post
Well thank God that is the case for most... But there are always those few who take it too seriously and can only think about their own laptimes, even when somebody else is in need...

Luckily, at my local track, we're a good bunch of fun helpfull guys, always ready to try and help if we can. The club is still growing though and I sure hope it stays that way.

CODMAN
If you help the newbies and make it fun,your club will grow. The ones that is serious about racing will hopefully burn themself out and quite or move on to bigger competition.
I for one, like weekly racing and bigger races. I get a thrill helping others out when I know their not running right.
__________________
Speed Passion-B-Fast R/C-Liverc.com-Dirt Heaven-Revolution Raceway-Venom Designs-M&M Home repair and remodeling LLC-92 Zero Designs.
b4wires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:54 PM   #43
Tech Adept
 
ice-nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=230333276915

E) None of the above. A little pricey, but with a lot of stuff, and a very clean car. I think I'll be happy with this one to start off. I know, I know. GOOD LUCK GETTING PARTS!
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:18 PM   #44
Tech Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 438
Default

Good choice! Yokomo have always made killer 4wd buggies. You can always get parts from overseas and apparently Yokomo has a new distributor in the US. Hopefully parts won't be an issue.

CODMAN
CODMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:50 PM   #45
Tech Adept
 
ice-nine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Chicagoland, IL
Posts: 125
Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default

Man, I've definitely got the bug again. Got the Yok today, and it's in great shape-- but I still have to have the CAT. What can I say? Have the Yok for sale, and if nobody wants it, I guess it'll be my backup to the Kitty when all is said and done, it certainly wouldn't break my heart if that ends up being the case.

I am torn between the S1 and the SX, because I think S1 specs and price are the better value for me, but I have this burning desire to take little pieces out of bags and put them together (and the S1 CAT is obviously preassembled). So that means, buy the SX and end up getting S1 or aftermarket parts looking for flex down the road.

By the middle of the month, I should be set up and running. Still looking at Spektrum for the radio, Tekin RS Pro brushless/6.5 combo, unless I can manage to find a Speed Passion GT 2.0 and get everything in the same price range. Steering servo, I still need to do some research on that. Charger still looking like the ebay one, battery will obviously depend on which car I'm running. If I'm running the Yok, it will probably be the IP 4200 and mods to make it fit, and if the CAT, a CORE 5000 or something similiar.

This forum is full of people who know their stuff. Amazing, all the stuff I'm picking up.

Other news, I found a Hot Tricked Ultima that was just like mine back in the day (top Ultima, no trailering arms)--

http://www.rcchopshop.com/hottrick/woobergoober.html

It's amazing to see stuff like that is still around. Although, the tiewraps for the battery going underneath the chassis on that one make my stomach turn.
ice-nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 08:04 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net