R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-24-2009, 04:59 AM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to Syber Serulean

slipper clutch affects drivetrain when driving rough and bumpy stuff. If the rear wheels are bouncing up and down through ruts and jumps and you dont let off the throttle, the slipper is at work. What you can do is stick the rear wheels tightly between your feet and pin the throttle for a second or two. If the front wheels come up and slightly off the ground then fall back down then your at a good slipper setting.

About your wheel falling off, the nylon on the wheel nut must not be catching right. Turn the nut around and screw it on backwards and see if that helps (dont make it too tight or it'll bind your wheel like with your o-ring setup right now).

Well priced brushless setup (i have the mamba sidewinder 5700 in my stampede, works GREAT)...
http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/701486.asp
Syber Serulean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 05:36 AM   #32
Tech Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to KROGOTH

I have looked at a few Brushless ESC/Motor combos and Castle Creations was definitely on my list. I was planning on getting a Mamba Max one day, and I had taken a look at the Sidewinder as well, but Ive heard it runs rather hot. It can run brushed motors though, which would make it a good item to get now and use with my Titan 12T, and then make the upgrade to brushless later when Im comfortable with that kinda power, and can make the switch to LiPo.

The wheel nut problem I solved with some thread lock. Found a few other areas I need to apply some thread lock as well. lol. Before and after run screw checks are becoming a much needed habit now.

Ill worry about my slipper clutch later. Like I said Ive shelved my Bandit until i receive my replacement parts (hopefully later this week). Speaking of parts, Im trying to think of all the things I need to grab from a hobby shop while Im in the states (got R&R coming up). New tires, a new pinion gear or two, and if I can find it, definitely a set of aftermarket screws, lithium grease for my trans case, and thats all i can think of for now. lol.

And speaking of aftermarket stuff, i would ask this on the Traxxas Bandit/Ruster forum, but I dont have a "payed for email account". Does anyone have any experience with FastLane Machine (FLM) parts, specifically their Rustler chassis and related items?
(~current pride and joy~)
Traxxas Bandit (in pieces and abandoned)
KROGOTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 04:06 AM   #33
Tech Apprentice

Well. Already broke a shock tower, the screws that hold the bumper are already beat up, one is broke now as well! All the people I work with laugh at how I just "broke a $200 toy" but isnt that half the fun? Im still trying to figure out how I cracked the front shock tower though to be honest. lol.

Anyways, Im wondering, lately my battery and motor have been heating up really bad. Im running Venom 7.2v 5000mah NIMH batteries, and of course the stock XL-5 esc and Titan 12T motor. If I burn this one out, will I be able to buy a Mamba Brushless motor (4600kv most likely) and Sidewinder ESC and still be able use the NIMH batteries or will I absolutely have to switch out to LiPo when I go to brushless?

Also, for most gravel/soft dirt and occasional concrete, what gearing should I try? I have no clue what the stock gearing is, but I could find it if I could be bothered enough to find the manual, but for the type of terrain, what gearing do you think I should go with?
Old 04-03-2009, 04:51 AM   #34
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Your stock gearing is probably going to be the best all around setup. You'll be fine using your Nimh batteries! I think there is a HUGE problem with people thinking that if they go to brushless they HAVE TO GO LIPO.... but nope NiMh's will work great on your BL system!

If your stuff is getting really hot, take a quick 5 min break halfway through bashing around. Also try to aviod running battery packs back to back, and give your motor time to cool down.

Jay
pyro18t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 05:34 AM   #35
Tech Apprentice

Well for now Ill just have to keep the stock gearing then. Just figured maybe gearing it lower for less speed or whatever mighta helped.-shrug- As for running batteries back to back, and such...My new 5000mah batteries last me nearly 30-40 minutes ish which is more than enough time for me. And I have 3 batteries now which means I dont have to run a battery and charge it and run it again immediately. lol. The 5 minute break thing I may have to start doing though. lol. I guess with the 3600mah battery I was just never running it long enough for the motor to heat up like it does now.

And from everything I had read, people make it out to seem that only LiPo can give the juice that BL systems can pull but Im glad to hear thats not the case. Not to mention Im not really in the mood to upgrade to LiPo because I want to start putting my money into the Baja 5B SS kit that Im getting soon. No need to upgrade to LiPo.

On the plus side, I convinced one of the guys I work with to get a Traxxas Slash so once I get the course Im making in my motor pool done, I will have someone to race. lol. If I can get him to concentrate and focus on something that long.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:32 PM   #36
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Your batteries will definitely be hot after running for 30-40 minutes! Most races are only 5 or 6 minutes long.
Simple Rule: If you install a faster(lower turn) motor you should also install a smaller pinion gear so you do not overheat your motor/esc. Keep your gearing around 10:1 to 11:1.
Sample: 78T spur gear/18T pinion gear x 2.5 internal ratio= 10.83 Final Drive
Refer to your instruction manual for internal drive ratio.
Adjust your gearing to the track, you may want more punch and less top speed or vice versa.
Monitor the temp of your motor/esc, the motor shouldn't run hotter than 160'.
You can definitely run NIMH with a brushless system. Some guys prefer running the NIMH because they weigh more than a LIPO and the car will usually handle better with more weight depending on set-up. If you run a LIPO you can always add lead weight to the chassis wherever you need it to improve handling.
Old 04-04-2009, 07:35 AM   #37
Tech Apprentice

Alright, next big-ish question. I was looking through RPM parts, and of course Ive already ordered new A-Arms (front and rear) from them because that was a common thing to break with the Bandit/Rustler. Well I got the arms, and the front ones look like a close enough match (havent tried to replace them yet though mind you), however the rear A-Arms looked way too long so of course I took my bandit apart so that I could compare the two parts. It turns out that apparently the A-Arms that RPM sells are compatible with the Rustler/Stampede but the stock rear A-Arms that the Bandit uses are not the same as the Rustler.

Seeing as how I cant get RPM brand Rear A-arms for my Bandit I may as well convert the rear to the Rustler length A-Arms. Does anyone know where I would find the parts I would need to complete this? I.E. the right length halfshafts, Camber links and such things? The paperwork that came with my Bandit of course only lists Traxxas brand Bandit specific parts. Hell, if someone could just point me at the place where I could look it up on my own that would work just as well.

P.S. Aluminum sucks. First aluminum part I bought broke my front bulkhead. lol. Stupid bumper!