Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Traxxas Bandit

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default Traxxas Bandit

Im new to this hobby, and bought myself a Traxxas Bandit XL-5. Looked like a good purchase to me, but from the looks of it, no one around here seems to use them. Everyone has Traxxas Rustlers though which is almost the same thing as a Bandit (from my understanding).

I dont think this was a bad purchase but we will see. The main question I have right now is runtime, and is an overheating ESC/motor a big issue? Im wondering because its nearly summer here in Iraq and well, ya know the ambient temperature gets up there.

And to sum up this post, are there any other major issues with Traxxas Bandits that I should keep in mind?
Old 03-17-2009, 12:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

i'm not sure about your temperature question im in California and it's never that hot here. Mybe some one else will answer that one for you.

As for your other question. I have a Rustler and i can tell you make sure to get spare parts especially front and rear carriers and A arms. if you have the $$ upgrade the carriers to Aluminum or atleast the RPM upgrades.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i really wanted the bandit, but seeing that i already had a stampede with extra parts it was the smart option to buy a rustler which shares more parts, including expensive wheels and tires. You shouldnt have a problem with overheating unless going really slow. Make sure you buy some extra parts, it sucks to get SOL when your friends are still ripping it up.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

The difference is Truck and Buggy. So to answer your question in a round about way, no. Some like trucks some like buggies, thats all.

There are also a million answers to your quesions.

In short if you beat the snot out of it over and over, it will get hot. If it is not geared properly it will over heat, ect....

Run time, in just a couple of words, depends on the battery size. The larger the mah, the longer they will last. 1500mah batteries in a stock bandit, guessing about 6 minutes, 4600mah battery in the same buggy probally closer to a half hour.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Maxxican
i'm not sure about your temperature question im in California and it's never that hot here. Mybe some one else will answer that one for you.

As for your other question. I have a Rustler and i can tell you make sure to get spare parts especially front and rear carriers and A arms. if you have the $$ upgrade the carriers to Aluminum or atleast the RPM upgrades.
Don't get aluminum. Get RPM brand arms and hubs. Aluminum is overpriced and very soft so it bends. It depends on which battery you are running for us to give you an honest run time. If you get a lipo battery you will be getting more power + more runtime (close to an hour). I live in california and it is very hot here especially in summer 100+degrees. I left my bandit geared stock and put in a lipo battery and had no overheating problems.
Old 03-18-2009, 02:50 AM
Tech Apprentice

I already know that eventually going to have to purchase some aftermarket replacement parts. I did plan on getting RPM parts for most everything except the shocks. Gonna get aluminum replacements for those when the time comes.

Currently Im going to have just a stock Bandit XL-5 with a Associated Wolfpack 6C 7.2V 3600mAh NiMH Stick. Plan on upgrading to a LiPo battery within a year and once Im used to running the Bandit with that motor and know a bit more about the basic workings of the R/C, I plan on upgrading to a Castle Creations Mamba Max ESC with either a Venom V540 Brushless Motor 13.5T, or a Castle Creations 540 4600kV Motor.

Just got around 14 more days or so till my Bandit gets here. Just waiting to tear up the sand here!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Nothing else?
Old 03-19-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I think that gearing is going to be your biggest factor in keeping everything cool....oh and it can snow in Iraq.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

Yes it can, in the northern parts. Im in the baghdad area though. Lots of cold miserable rain in the winter and spring, but not so much snow from my experience around here.

Im going to have to use stock gearing at first for sure. When I change to LiPo/Brushless Ill have to replace my pinion from what Ive read, but that wont be for a lil while.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

might also want check the slipper settings on it.a little slip in that sand will go a long way for not overworking the stock motor/speed control.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM
Tech Regular

You wouldn't happen to be Hawk-Krogoth, would you?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

if your playing in the sand or the mud sand paddle tires work well
Old 03-20-2009, 12:47 AM
Tech Apprentice

Where Im going to be running it is mostly gravel and some dirt. I think the R/C track thats near here on the FOB is sand though. I havent gone to take a close look at it though, only saw it a couple times in passing. I pllan on digging something up in my work area though to run my R/C in after work and that will definitely be mostly dirt.

CraigV - Nope, not me, sorry. Why ya ask?
Old 03-20-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Regular

I was (still am I guess) a member of a gaming clan called Hawk Clan. There was a guy in there named Krogoth (big TA player). This was back in the late 90's early 2000's. I know a bunch of members joined the army and was just wondering if you were one of them.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:11 AM
Tech Apprentice

Hate to hijack my own thread, but Total Annihilation was and still is a totally awesome game. But yeah, not me. I wasnt able to get big into TA multiplayer, I was in my early teens when i first got the game.

In other news, my Bandit got here today. Charging the battery as we speak. hehe. Ill let yall know how the first run goes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.