Wiki Posts
Search

Slash spec esc w/ lipo cutoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 10:58 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default Slash spec esc w/ lipo cutoff

Does anyone know of an inexpensive esc with lipo cutoff that would be within spec criteria?
Old 03-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Trucks slows, stop driving, recharge. No really need for one, it's quite obvious that the batteries are going on the Slash.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:50 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by rearviewmirror
Trucks slows, stop driving, recharge. No really need for one, it's quite obvious that the batteries are going on the Slash.

Not to a 14 year old kid... I really don't want to have threaten to cut his balls off if he over discharges the pack....
Old 03-11-2009, 12:16 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by desertbird
Does anyone know of an inexpensive esc with lipo cutoff that would be within spec criteria?

At this point no one has found one that works. At one time novak said they were going to update theirs to work but have not heard anything.

Also you should not have to resort to cutting the family jewels. Just take away his cell phone, He probably uses it more anyhow!!!
Old 03-11-2009, 12:22 PM
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 70 (100%+)

Kinda depends on the spec criteria. Every club seems to have different rules. Many don't allow the use of anything different other than the radio, our rules madate that you use the stock tires and everything else is wide open.

About the only inexpensive ESC I can think of off the top of my head would be the Castle Sidewinder. Which is a pretty good bang for the buck. Totally programmable, brushed, brushless and 3S capable, so you can use it for a variety of other applications.

Or why not run a Low Voltage Cut-off? I know the Novak one doesn't work with the Traxxas ESC for whatever reason, but they're not the only game in town; unless the XL-5 isn't compatible with ANY LVCs.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

The guys at my track have got the Novak cutoff to work if you add a Novak Capasitor to the battery lead on the ESC, it prevents false cutoff indications and will elimimate the stutter that the Novak cutoff causes.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Stallard
Also you should not have to resort to cutting the family jewels. Just take away his cell phone, He probably uses it more anyhow!!!
Don't know about that, he sure does take LONNNNNNNNNNNGGGGGGGGGGGGG showers now-a-days

I've seen the flight ones that say they have braking, but not too sure how well they'd work. For one they don't have an on/off switch, but that's no biggie, plug it in and it's on.
Old 03-11-2009, 12:37 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by badassrevo
The guys at my track have got the Novak cutoff to work if you add a Novak Capasitor to the battery lead on the ESC, it prevents false cutoff indications and will elimimate the stutter that the Novak cutoff causes.
Hmmmmmmm, well we'll be sharing a few packs, so what will that do to my stuff running Novak GTB?
Old 03-11-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Just stick a small castle creations ESC inside a XL5 case.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:59 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

the yellow cased xl-5 esc works with the novak lipo cutoff. you can find these in rustlers and other trucks.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

How about using this? Has anybody tried this thing before?
Attached Thumbnails Slash spec esc w/ lipo cutoff-cutoff.jpg  
Old 03-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by Krawl
How about using this? Has anybody tried this thing before?
I use one of those. The good thing about them is that they work off the battery balancing tap so it works in any vehicle and can be swapped to multi vehicles.

The bad thing about them is that is not really a cut-off. It won't stop you from over discharging the battery. It emits an alarm and flashes a light when the voltage drops to a cut off point, its up to the driver to stop. On large tracks or very noisey areas you may not hear it right away. The ones from Hobbycity have a long lead that attaches to the tap so you can mount the actual unit in a way to see the flashing light too(like in the windshield) so if you don't/can't hear it you could get a visual warning.
Old 03-13-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

You could use one of the Trinity packs with the built in cutoff....that works for my son quite well.
Old 03-13-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Master

Well this is the perfect thread to mention it.

Give Traxxas your feedback. I sent an email describing the grassroots spec class they started and mentioned that the Novak cut off doesn't work and ask why they couldn't include a cut off in the XL5 since they have one in the VLX ESC
Old 03-13-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by cherokee
You could use one of the Trinity packs with the built in cutoff....that works for my son quite well.
Well I was finally ready to buy those- Discontinued.

So again, I'd send feedback to trinity as well. If they remarketed those packs as being for the Slash, I bet they'd sell.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.