R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #31
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
I see your point, but do not agree it is the best thing long term for the growth of the class. At the very least it limits sponsorship support of events. What if someone buys an old but good Cyclone or G12 for $15 usedů. Or some local racer throws a kid any old speedo to keep him rolling on race day. Where do you draw the line? Technically for many you are increasing the cost and limiting participation by requiring a specific product be used. Brushed speedos are too cheap and easy to come by nowdays to think limiting it one reduces cost.

You are not controlling cost on the battery where performance can be significantly effected. Also allowing hi end radios that offer a clear advantage over the limited features of the AM rtr setups. If anything an intelligent new person would think hey I need a good radio for precise control and a great battery to get that extra rip. Far more expensive than upgrading the speedo and more effect on the fair factorů. Yet allowed and accepted.

Enjoying the discussion and have been looking forward to it with the growth of this class. Curious are you a race organizer or a racer?
If we could have more than 6 people racing with the stock radio, our club probably would have limited it to that, but when the particpation went beyond 6, we had to allow other radios or tell people they couldn't race.

We are not really concerned about sponsorship for the Slash class.

I'm a member of a club (not an organizer) that had particpation go from 5 people the first week to more than a dozen in a few races and 26 different people running the class by the end of our outdoor season. Everybody we have running it wants to keep it spec/stock.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:35 PM   #32
Team Tekin

Father son team… our favorite! My son works here at Tekin and started wheelin around that age. Always interested in feedback and opinions from people like you and trying to make racing and participation better. We all want the same things, good racing and fun experiences. Teach that kid it is a throttle not an on switch, it is faster on the wheels and if the turn marshal is too slow or does not put you down right then do not need his services and it wont be a problem in the future

My money says he is whoopin on dad before long

You really think allowing other speedos will reduce the participation? I am listening, I just do not see it and feel it might be just the opposite since many frugal hobbiest can actually get a truck on the track for less than the cost of the rtr. Lots of people have old equipment laying around. Come one come all and run what you brung as long as it is not unfairly faster on the track.

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 03-14-2009 at 05:47 PM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:46 PM   #33
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Father son teamů our favorite! My son works here at Tekin and started wheelin around that age. Always interested in feedback and opinions from people like you and trying to make racing and participation better. We all want the same things, good racing and fun experiences. Teach that kid it is a throttle not a on switch, it is faster on the wheels and if the turn marshal is too slow or does not put you down right then do not need his services and it wont be a problem in the future

My money says he is whoopin on day before long

You really think allowing other speedos will reduce the participation? I am listening, I just do not see it and feel it might be just the opposite since many frugal hobbiest can actually get a truck on the track for less than the cost of the rtr. Lots of people have old equipment laying around.
What a perfect way to start them out fresh by using a lipo battery All the more for parts to break

I would ask the local race track spec guys to see what ESC's are legal.
I know with any castle creations ESC you can program the exact amount of Volts you want to cut your battery off at.
Old 03-14-2009, 05:48 PM   #34
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Badassrevo you said guys at your track put a novak capacitor in the battery lead to the esc I was wondering which lead pos or neg and what capacitor they used.
letrbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:14 AM   #35
Tech Elite

Quote:
Father son teamů our favorite! My son works here at Tekin and started wheelin around that age. Always interested in feedback and opinions from people like you and trying to make racing and participation better. We all want the same things, good racing and fun experiences. Teach that kid it is a throttle not an on switch, it is faster on the wheels and if the turn marshal is too slow or does not put you down right then do not need his services and it wont be a problem in the future

My money says he is whoopin on dad before long

You really think allowing other speedos will reduce the participation? I am listening, I just do not see it and feel it might be just the opposite since many frugal hobbiest can actually get a truck on the track for less than the cost of the rtr. Lots of people have old equipment laying around. Come one come all and run what you brung as long as it is not unfairly faster on the track.
We have no way of knowing that for sure, but I would say, at our track, yes it would. Everyone there wants to keep the truck stock. Our rules are simple: Except for receiver, battery and fluids (shock oil), and specifically voted on exceptions, you can only use what comes in the box from Traxxas. That goes as far as meaning we only have a choice of two pinion sizes: the 18 that comes on it or the optional 23. There are only two allowed exceptions, and only because they correct known defects in the truck: We allow the Traxxas aluminum shock caps (caps only - not the aluminum bodies) beacuse the stock plastic caps have been known to blow off, and the RPM rear bumper mount because the stock traxxas one lets the bumper snap down and catch on the carpet and jumps outdoors.

Someone wanted to get the RPM suspension parts approved, theorizing that they didn't really give an advantage even though they were more durable. The club consensus was, if there is no advantage, you don't need them, and if there is an advantage we don't want to allow them because we don't want everyone to have to go out and spend the money to get that advantage, only to have a level playing field again.

That is pretty much our club policy on these: no changes to the truck that will give even the hint of perceived advantage.

Chances are, if someone belw up an ESC in a heat, we would let them change to a non-traxxas one for the main. But we would still require they get another traxxas one for the next race.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #36
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
We have no way of knowing that for sure, but I would say, at our track, yes it would. Everyone there wants to keep the truck stock. Our rules are simple: Except for receiver, battery and fluids (shock oil), and specifically voted on exceptions, you can only use what comes in the box from Traxxas. That goes as far as meaning we only have a choice of two pinion sizes: the 18 that comes on it or the optional 23. There are only two allowed exceptions, and only because they correct known defects in the truck: We allow the Traxxas aluminum shock caps (caps only - not the aluminum bodies) beacuse the stock plastic caps have been known to blow off, and the RPM rear bumper mount because the stock traxxas one lets the bumper snap down and catch on the carpet and jumps outdoors.

Someone wanted to get the RPM suspension parts approved, theorizing that they didn't really give an advantage even though they were more durable. The club consensus was, if there is no advantage, you don't need them, and if there is an advantage we don't want to allow them because we don't want everyone to have to go out and spend the money to get that advantage, only to have a level playing field again.

That is pretty much our club policy on these: no changes to the truck that will give even the hint of perceived advantage.

Chances are, if someone belw up an ESC in a heat, we would let them change to a non-traxxas one for the main. But we would still require they get another traxxas one for the next race.

Being so strict, isn't that like a rookie basher class?
DJClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:34 AM   #37
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
You and I, and anyone else that's been around RC long enough knows very well, that the new people that the Slash is bringing in are going to see that good driver beating them with a $300 speedo and think there is an advantage. And either quit or spend money. If they are getting beat by the exact same truck, they don't see anything but being beaten by a good driver.

That is the point of cost controled.
Where does a $300 radio in a $200 truck lead one to "cost controlled"?
Old 03-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #38
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by letrbuk View Post
Badassrevo you said guys at your track put a novak capacitor in the battery lead to the esc I was wondering which lead pos or neg and what capacitor they used.

Use the Novak Cap http://www.teamnovak.com/tech_info/p...power_caps.htm

and splice the red lead into the pos battery lead and the black lead into the neg battery lead.

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:58 AM   #39
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Thanks Badassrevo I will give it a try once I get everything. I just don't want to fry a brand new lipo.
letrbuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #40
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJClark View Post
Where does a $300 radio in a $200 truck lead one to "cost controlled"?
So you must be telling me people aren't using radios they have, but going out and buying that $300 radio just for the Slash class?

Seriously enough with the idiotic radio comments. There is a limitation with the stock radio 4 channels. If you can find those extra crystal If I remember right that brings it up to a whooping 6-8 channels. So let's limited the races to only 6 at a time. Now at the mains, get everyone swapping channels so there's no interference.

AM $47 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXASX2**&P=0

FM $89 http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXNHS1**&P=0

2.4 $149 http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/istar...=SPM20310!1002
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:42 AM   #41
Suspended

Quote:
So you must be telling me people aren't using radios they have, but going out and buying that $300 radio just for the Slash class?

Seriously enough with the idiotic radio comments. There is a limitation with the stock radio 4 channels. If you can find those extra crystal If I remember right that brings it up to a whooping 6-8 channels. So let's limited the races to only 6 at a time. Now at the mains, get everyone swapping channels so there's no interference.
same idiotic argument as the speed control one, doesn't make any difference so why nitpick about it?
Old 03-15-2009, 12:34 PM   #42
Tech Master

Quote:
same idiotic argument as the speed control one, doesn't make any difference so why nitpick about it?
You don't get and based on your comments never will. For you, there's the open/mod class. Plenty of other people do understand are fine with the way it is. Ironic the way it isnow- box stock except radio is one of the fastest growing classes.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #43
Tech Elite

Quote:
Being so strict, isn't that like a rookie basher class?
Not by any stretch of the imagination.

We have a separate class for novices and they can run pretty much whatever car they want in that class so long as they are using either a stock motor or whatever comes in the car (so the Titan is OK in the Slash).

Most of the guys running our slash class are experienced racers, many who are very serious about their 1/8th scale buggies outdoors. They run Slash and want to keep it stock so that they can put their $200 car on the track without the hassle of getting their engine started, tuning it to the current condition and worrying about flameouts. Or worrying about what hop-ups they should buy for it (because the answer is none). So yeah, they might have had a $300 radio, but they didn't buy it for the Slash class - they just bought the truck, another receiver and a battery.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:53 PM   #44
Tech Regular

Quote:
Well this is the perfect thread to mention it.

Give Traxxas your feedback. I sent an email describing the grassroots spec class they started and mentioned that the Novak cut off doesn't work and ask why they couldn't include a cut off in the XL5 since they have one in the VLX ESC
The reason is nothing than traxxas encourage us to buy their VXL ...it's like marketing strategy
Krawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:58 PM   #45
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawl View Post
The reason is nothing than traxxas encourage us to buy their VXL ...it's like marketing strategy
Just mention that most tracks have a box stock rule with lipos. Doesn't hurt.