R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-13-2009, 06:01 PM   #16
Tech Master
 
Kings Kid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: sw lower michigan
Posts: 1,681
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

anyone try this;
http://www.fmadirect.com/detail.htm?item=1897&section=2
Kings Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:02 PM   #17
Tech Master
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Kid View Post
My understanding is that Aircraft ones won't work with cars. Aircraft don't have the throttles constantly going from 0-100%
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 11:39 PM   #18
Tech Fanatic
 
vtec.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 963
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
Trucks slows, stop driving, recharge. No really need for one, it's quite obvious that the batteries are going on the Slash.
dont wanna ruin a nice lipo like that smarty
vtec. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:09 AM   #19
Tech Master
 
rearviewmirror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Melbourne / Austin
Posts: 1,844
Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtec. View Post
dont wanna ruin a nice lipo like that smarty
How do you ruin a lipo if you stop driving when the truck slows? Ever driven a vehicle with a cutoff? They slow significantly before the cutoff even kicks in. It's even more obvious on a Slash than it is on a brushless. Cells are damaged when they go below 2.7v, most cutoffs are set at 3.0v (per cell), by the time the car hits that point it's lost a good percentage of its power. And calling someone "smarty" when you type like an 13 year old girl is a bit ironic.
__________________
ARCTIC DOG RACING (Nitro free since 2009)

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:45 AM   #20
Tech Fanatic
 
vtec.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 963
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
How do you ruin a lipo if you stop driving when the truck slows? Ever driven a vehicle with a cutoff? They slow significantly before the cutoff even kicks in. It's even more obvious on a Slash than it is on a brushless. Cells are damaged when they go below 2.7v, most cutoffs are set at 3.0v (per cell), by the time the car hits that point it's lost a good percentage of its power. And calling someone "smarty" when you type like an 13 year old girl is a bit ironic.
im a 14 yr old girl. ty
vtec. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:49 AM   #21
Tech Fanatic
 
ckfactory's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Whittier CA
Posts: 932
Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
How do you ruin a lipo if you stop driving when the truck slows? Ever driven a vehicle with a cutoff? They slow significantly before the cutoff even kicks in. It's even more obvious on a Slash than it is on a brushless. Cells are damaged when they go below 2.7v, most cutoffs are set at 3.0v (per cell), by the time the car hits that point it's lost a good percentage of its power. And calling someone "smarty" when you type like an 13 year old girl is a bit ironic.
i dont know what brushless system you run but on the vxl i cant tell the diff untill it actually hits the lipo cutoff.
ckfactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:05 AM   #22
Tech Master
 
Mike Marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Blaze RC St. Charles MO
Posts: 1,413
Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)
Default

.
__________________
Blaze RC / Smac Trac / St. Louis Dirt Burners
Mike Marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:04 PM   #23
Team Tekin
 
Tekin Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,047
Default

Brushed speedos are not going to make any difference in speed, just differences in features and size. All brushed speedos are pretty close nowdays when the hammer is down for power.

They should allow any speedo and spec the motors to keep it fair. That is how the rest of RC racing is setup.

Tekin Prez
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 12:29 PM   #24
Tech Master
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
Brushed speedos are not going to make any difference in speed, just differences in features and size. All brushed speedos are pretty close nowdays when the hammer is down for power.

They should allow any speedo and spec the motors to keep it fair. That is how the rest of RC racing is setup.

Tekin Prez
The point is cost control. Other than radios because of the stock limitations, anything else take the 'controlled' point out of it.

Not to be rude, but you're not going to be very objective.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 01:05 PM   #25
Team Tekin
 
Tekin Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,047
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoTone View Post
The point is cost control. Other than radios because of the stock limitations, anything else take the 'controlled' point out of it.

Not to be rude, but you're not going to be very objective.
I understand cost control where it provides an advantage in performance. Tires and overall motor power are 99.9% of keeping it fair. It might even be cheaper to allow any brushed speedo since they are dirt cheap due to the BL revolution in general. At the very least it gives choices which is always good and allows people to borrow out of other cars if needed.

Short term the cost is low, but in the long term the requirement of a brushed motor will be more expensive simply due to life span. I am not trying to get a BL mod class, I think it will happen all by itself if this class continues to be this popular. We do not decide, you do, and we just try to anticipate and offer what you will want. In this case we already have it with spec motors that are used in every other class at the events.

I see a spec class with any speedo and a spec, low cost disposable motor for the casual racers and a mod class for the guys that race twice a week and already have fallen in love with ease of a BL lipo setup. Even a low cost nimh stick pack gets it done here and unfortunately for us there are sensorless BL systems that cost about the same as the stock stuff in the rtr.

Choices is always a good thing as long you can maintain the fair requirements. I think that is being very objective and you are certainly not being rude

The point of this thread was how to get a lipo cutoff. If cost is the big concern I do not see how buying a separate piece of electronics that kinda works is better than buying a speedo with a lipo cutoff if there is no performance advantage.

Tekin Prez

Last edited by Tekin Prez; 03-14-2009 at 01:33 PM.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:02 PM   #26
Tech Elite
 
ta_man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 4,363
Trader Rating: 151 (100%+)
Default

Of the common brands, the least expensive ESC I know off with a built-in LiPo cutoff is a Rooster 12T for $90 from Tower Hobbies. Thats 45% of the cost of the whole car. Does Tekin make an ESC with LiPo cutoff for less than that?

The thing is, for actual racing, you don't really need a LiPo cutoff, unless you are the type that forgets to fully charge your batteries. No place is going to run races that have you running until dumped. I've run a Slash in a 12 minute main and had more than 2400 mAHr left in my 5000 LiPo.
ta_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 02:34 PM   #27
Team Tekin
 
Tekin Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,047
Default

So what if the speedo is $300? Does it matter if it does not make you faster? There are other benefits that do not increase performance that people should be able to enjoy. Some just like to give their money to the brands they respect and are comfortable with. Durability, service and support all factor in value for the user, but do not make them unfairly faster on the track. Cool factor maybe and a little confidence, but technically not faster.

You can buy older speedos all day for $25 or less used if cost is really the kicker. I would sell G11 units to clubs for $40 in qty to help bring in new people to the hobby and help those on a budget, but no lipo cutoff.

Yes our FxR is about that cost and has a lipo cutoff. If lipo cutoff is not important there are a lot of choices, some even cheaper than the not always available rtr electronics it comes with.

Choices are a good thing and increase participation in general.
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 03:06 PM   #28
Tech Master
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
So what if the speedo is $300? Does it matter if it does not make you faster? There are other benefits that do not increase performance that people should be able to enjoy. Some just like to give their money to the brands they respect and are comfortable with. Durability, service and support all factor in value for the user, but do not make them unfairly faster on the track. Cool factor maybe and a little confidence, but technically not faster.

You can buy older speedos all day for $25 or less used if cost is really the kicker. I would sell G11 units to clubs for $40 in qty to help bring in new people to the hobby and help those on a budget, but no lipo cutoff.

Yes our FxR is about that cost and has a lipo cutoff. If lipo cutoff is not important there are a lot of choices, some even cheaper than the not always available rtr electronics it comes with.

Choices are a good thing and increase participation in general.
You and I, and anyone else that's been around RC long enough knows very well, that the new people that the Slash is bringing in are going to see that good driver beating them with a $300 speedo and think there is an advantage. And either quit or spend money. If they are getting beat by the exact same truck, they don't see anything but being beaten by a good driver.

That is the point of cost controled.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 04:58 PM   #29
Team Tekin
 
Tekin Prez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 1,047
Default

I see your point, but do not agree it is the best thing long term for the growth of the class. At the very least it limits sponsorship support of events. What if someone buys an old but good Cyclone or G12 for $15 used…. Or some local racer throws a kid any old speedo to keep him rolling on race day. Where do you draw the line? Technically for many you are increasing the cost and limiting participation by requiring a specific product be used. Brushed speedos are too cheap and easy to come by nowdays to think limiting it one reduces cost.

You are not controlling cost on the battery where performance can be significantly effected. Also allowing hi end radios that offer a clear advantage over the limited features of the AM rtr setups. If anything an intelligent new person would think hey I need a good radio for precise control and a great battery to get that extra rip. Far more expensive than upgrading the speedo and more effect on the fair factor…. Yet allowed and accepted.

Enjoying the discussion and have been looking forward to it with the growth of this class. Curious are you a race organizer or a racer?
Tekin Prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2009, 05:09 PM   #30
Tech Master
 
TwoTone's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Maryland
Posts: 1,002
Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamTekin View Post
I see your point, but do not agree it is the best thing long term for the growth of the class. At the very least it limits sponsorship support of events. What if someone buys an old but good Cyclone or G12 for $15 usedů. Or some local racer throws a kid any old speedo to keep him rolling on race day. Where do you draw the line? Technically for many you are increasing the cost and limiting participation by requiring a specific product be used. Brushed speedos are too cheap and easy to come by nowdays to think limiting it one reduces cost.

You are not controlling cost on the battery where performance can be significantly effected. Also allowing hi end radios that offer a clear advantage over the limited features of the AM rtr setups. If anything an intelligent new person would think hey I need a good radio for precise control and a great battery to get that extra rip. Far more expensive than upgrading the speedo and more effect on the fair factorů. Yet allowed and accepted.

Enjoying the discussion and have been looking forward to it with the growth of this class. Curious are you a race organizer or a racer?
Racer with a 6 year old son that I'm introducing to RC.
TwoTone is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. It is currently 09:48 PM.


Powered By: vBulletin v3.9.2.1
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Advertise Content © 2001-2011 RCTech.net