Wiki Posts
Search

brushless equivalent to the titan

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 05:40 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default brushless equivalent to the titan

this has probably been discussed before,but im just thinking if anyone has found a brushless motor that has equal(maybe a little more)performance as the titan,and doesnt get hot from racing slash's around a track......

cheers Justin
Old 03-10-2009, 06:19 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

13.5 is ~ equal, a 10.5 is more power
Old 03-10-2009, 06:40 AM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

No way a 13.5T brushless is equivalent to the titan. 17.5T would probably be closer. I added a 13.5T brushless and was able to clear all of the doubles at my track with ease and the only way I could clear them with the 12T Titan is by maintaining good speed through a turn and hitting everything just right.
Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

"equivalent" and "brushless" don't go in the same sentence...
Old 03-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile
"equivalent" and "brushless" don't go in the same sentence...

"equivalent" and "POS closed endbell brushed motor" don't belong in the same sentence
Old 03-10-2009, 08:05 AM
Tech Elite

I just remember when brushless motors were first coming out, the Novak 4300 was supposed to be equivalent to Stock...well, turned out it wasn't. So then there was the 13.5, that's supposed to be equivalent to Stock...but it wasn't. And then came the 17.5 Stock motor...that's still faster than a brushed Stock.

Now we have the 21.5...and let's just say I'm not holding my breath.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:33 AM
Suspended

I just remember when brushless motors were first coming out, the Novak 4300 was supposed to be equivalent to Stock...well, turned out it wasn't. So then there was the 13.5, that's supposed to be equivalent to Stock...but it wasn't. And then came the 17.5 Stock motor...that's still faster than a brushed Stock.

I agree.
I remember when stock was just that, stock = 27T motor.
Everything else, including 12T 550 can motors, should be called modified. Throw them all on the track together and let the racing Gods sort them out. If you can get it around the track more power to you, if you're turning nothing but donuts you have too much motor.
Old 03-10-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lightin'
if you're turning nothing but donuts you have too much motor.
Or you need to start bitching to the track owner and everybody on RCTech that the Short Course class needs to be run Spec

I got into this argument with the track owner where I race, how easy it would be to dress-up any BL motor into a "Stock" BL. He showed me where companies are now using some color-coded ring on the endbell that designates the motor's timing, which determines how much power the motor makes. So I ask him what color the "Stock" motors are and he says black...

Well f**k, gimme a Sharpie and I'll turn these all into Stock motors
Old 03-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The 4300 was equivalent... then sintered rotors hit the scene and things changed. (changed for the better) Besides, why would we want an equivalent to such a crappy brushed motor anyway (27 turn stuff)?
Old 03-10-2009, 08:46 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by kufman
The 4300 was equivalent... then sintered rotors hit the scene and things changed. (changed for the better)
We put a 4300 in my Old Man's truck soon after they first came out, so no sintered rotor there, and that thing RAPED any Stock motor in my collection...
Old 03-10-2009, 08:48 AM
Suspended

Or you need to start bitching to the track owner and everybody on RCTech that the Short Course class needs to be run Spec
Is there a section of the forum for Post of the Year nominees???
Old 03-10-2009, 08:57 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Lightin'
Is there a section of the forum for Post of the Year nominees???
Funny how posts like that have got me kicked out of one or two racetracks in the area.

Frankly I don't have any problems with the Titan in my truck. First of all they are a little overgeared from the factory, even with the 18-tooth pinion. I run on a fairly large indoor carpet track (used to run at S&N's Trackside on the "dirt", but see above...) and 18/86 is OK but definitely on the tall side, I see the best performance using 15 or 16 tooth pinions. Second, I've learned you can get Titans ridiculously hot and they'll bounce right back after you let them cool off. Now on my Slash I did carve away at the transmission some to fit a couple of clip-on heatsinks, but only to keep the motors a bit cooler during a race. As far as needing to keep the motors cool to keep them alive, don't count on it. They're pretty much indestructible.

Finally...a Titan is what, like $21? If you somehow manage to blow the thing up, throw it out and get another one.
Old 03-10-2009, 09:13 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Peli
this has probably been discussed before,but im just thinking if anyone has found a brushless motor that has equal(maybe a little more)performance as the titan,and doesnt get hot from racing slash's around a track......

cheers Justin
I don't think you will find a true equiv to the brushed, If you want cheap and dependable try the VXL set to 50%, might get lucky and not get too hot
Old 03-10-2009, 10:26 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

it doesnt have to be a true equal,just within the ballpark.....so after all the dribble,we have worked out that a 17.5 is too quick......maybe a 19.5/21.5 will be the go......

doesnt matter if its faster as we are tyring to find a spec brushless motor for CORR(thats our mod class)thats reliable and quicker slightly......that way we can put them in slash's and sc10's and have the same motors.....brushed just isnt reliable enough,and to labor intensive for beginners....even the racers want a brushless setup,so its plug and slash,not clean bearings,brushes and clean the can out inbetweeen every 2nd or 3rd heat