R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-17-2009, 10:23 AM   #16
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

If I missed it sorry, but what is the name of the MFG. that makes SMC cells? I did not see it.

I have been messing with lipo in planes YEARS before they where popular in cars. I made my own packs out of cell phone packs for my slow flyers, bigger packs from price scanners and such. And I can tell you from my experence in planes that if a lipo is a 10c it is a 10c cell. I have a zippy pack that I hammer pretty hard when I fly and ballance it everytime. It is still working great...and it was a cheap pack.

All I say is that in my experence in trying many different lipo packs for both flight and cars I don't think that the price the "players" charge is worth it.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:17 AM   #17
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 96 (100%+)

I will say this though, good CS is worth the extra $$.

you get a junk tenergy cell, your F'ed, get a bad cell(rarely) from a good suppler, they will usually get you a new pack...

I'm not saying that you need to spend tons of $$$$$$ on batts, just do the research on what packs have the most problems, and call/email some of the distributors.

I personaly run $75 True RC packs, 100+ cycles later(no ballanceing) and there still within 0.001v of eachother after being run down to 6.5v
whitrzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:30 AM   #18
Tech Initiate

cherokee, you are right- they only specify a country of origin, not a manufacturer.

whitrzac- I have not heard of the true rc packs before. Are you running their hard case stuff? The silver pack on their webpage looks identical to my tenergy pack.

I am sort of looking for a new pack, not to replace the tenergy believe it or not, but to replace the losi pack i have. I am considering the new Tekin pack, I am definitely interested in checking out an SMC pack as well- based almost solely on their presence here as well as the prices they have on some of the 24c/28c stuff.
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:33 AM   #19
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
cherokee, you are right- they only specify a country of origin, not a manufacturer.

whitrzac- I have not heard of the true rc packs before. Are you running their hard case stuff? The silver pack on their webpage looks identical to my tenergy pack.

I am sort of looking for a new pack, not to replace the tenergy believe it or not, but to replace the losi pack i have. I am considering the new Tekin pack, I am definitely interested in checking out an SMC pack as well- based almost solely on their presence here as well as the prices they have on some of the 24c/28c stuff.
The 24C 5200 packs are awesome for 10 scale racing. I also race with their higher end 28C 5000 mAh packs. Sometimes speed and punch aren't the only factors, there others like how many cycles they'll last for, and the ability to maintain a certain voltage under load.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 11:39 AM   #20
Tech Initiate

Yeah, the price on the 24C 5200 packs is tough to beat. And I see that stormer has the new 40C 5200 in stock for $20 more than the 28C. Do I need 40C? Probably not with a 13.5 motor. Is it tempting anyway? Sure is!
lucas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:09 PM   #21
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post
I will say this though, good CS is worth the extra $$.

you get a junk tenergy cell, your F'ed, get a bad cell(rarely) from a good suppler, they will usually get you a new pack...

I'm not saying that you need to spend tons of $$$$$$ on batts, just do the research on what packs have the most problems, and call/email some of the distributors.

I personaly run $75 True RC packs, 100+ cycles later(no ballanceing) and there still within 0.001v of eachother after being run down to 6.5v
Not true. I bought some lipos from them. Installed them and had a crash resulting in contact between the spur gear and battery which chewed through the battery exposing the contents. I called them to order a replacement and told them what had happened and they sold me another battery at cost! Beat that customer service. It wasn't their fault I destoyed the battery, it was mine.

And my 5000 20c 3s are always VERY close when dicharged and/or charged w/o ballancing. Not being argumentative just stating facts.
brofroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:18 PM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucas View Post
Yeah, the price on the 24C 5200 packs is tough to beat. And I see that stormer has the new 40C 5200 in stock for $20 more than the 28C. Do I need 40C? Probably not with a 13.5 motor. Is it tempting anyway? Sure is!
With reputable brands the higher the C rating the higher quality the cells. They are also better at delivering amperage with less voltage drop. You may not need them, but they certainly won't hurt anything.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 01:45 PM   #23
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitrzac View Post

This has more to do with who you buy from. I have only one tenergy pack, a 3s 2000 pack that I use in my GWS Zero and my Easy*. So far...and that pack is over a year old... it is still giving great flight times. When I ran a brushed motor in the zero I ran that pack down to almost nothing. Re ballanced it and it is still good.

I have a 2s 800 and 2s 1300 that I use in my brushed heli and fly those down to the point where they will just get out of ground effect, that puts the cells down to about 2v per cell, I just ballance them and go again, both packs are still going strong.

Don't anyone tell me that plane guys are easy on cells...I know I am pretty mean to them.

Again just my experence, but if you are shopping look at the Yeah cells...even the SMC guys said they where good packs, some are ROAR approved if that means anything to you, and cheap also.
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote