R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-08-2009, 11:09 PM   #1
nib
Tech Apprentice

Default team academy

what is the difference between the sb pro and the sb v2 pro and is the sb pro any good?
nib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:53 AM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

the V2 Pro off of the top of my head has these differences:

- Different plastic material
- Different motor mounting system
- Different chasis bracing setup
- nose plate with kickup present
- (may have changed) plastic outdrives with outdrive savers

The V1 Pro can be still ran competitively at club races. If you need an FAQ that has tips on the V1 series, PM your email address and I will send it to you.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
the V2 Pro off of the top of my head has these differences:

- Different plastic material
- Different motor mounting system
- Different chasis bracing setup
- nose plate with kickup present
- (may have changed) plastic outdrives with outdrive savers

The V1 Pro can be still ran competitively at club races. If you need an FAQ that has tips on the V1 series, PM your email address and I will send it to you.
both use carbon fiber, the V2 just comes with more features including coming with 6 different pinion gears. It is not worth the extra $100, however it does not perform as good as a Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 or an RC10B44
but I doubt you could really tell the difference if you set it up to your driving style.

What ever happened to looking the vehicles up online?
Old 03-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
Tech Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post
both use carbon fiber, the V2 just comes with more features including coming with 6 different pinion gears. It is not worth the extra $100, however it does not perform as good as a Hot Bodies Cyclone D4 or an RC10B44
but I doubt you could really tell the difference if you set it up to your driving style.

After owning every version fo the SB from the SB V1 Sport all the way to the SB V2 Pro, there are more than just more features added on to the V1 Pro, and it includes extra spur gears, not pinion gears. The SB V1s include those extra gears as well.

Another item of note is the V2s allow larger spur gears to be used for more gearing range versus the V1s. V1s limiting being either 72T or 74T, with the V2s coming stock with an 80T spur gear.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cain View Post
After owning every version fo the SB from the SB V1 Sport all the way to the SB V2 Pro, there are more than just more features added on to the V1 Pro, and it includes extra spur gears, not pinion gears. The SB V1s include those extra gears as well.

Another item of note is the V2s allow larger spur gears to be used for more gearing range versus the V1s. V1s limiting being either 72T or 74T, with the V2s coming stock with an 80T spur gear.
true, I just glanced upon the article I'm at work!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post

wrong. The standard version SBV2 is NOT carbon fiber.Only the sbv2 pro. The standard kits have a g10 fiberglass chassis and upper deck.Plus with the motor/battery positions to choose from with the sbv2 it is a much nicer car to set-up and drive than the old sb pro cars.The new V2 pro kits also come with hardened steel outdrives vs. the plastic ones in previous kits.As Cain mentioned the plastics are a different formula, the sbv2 pro uses a much stiffer and more durable plastic than the previous kits.
As for the performance; They perform just as good as any other 4wd out there.I have out qualified and beat many a b44,zx5,HB d4,losi car with mine.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #7
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wdMod View Post
wrong. The standard version SBV2 is NOT carbon fiber.Only the sbv2 pro. The standard kits have a g10 fiberglass chassis and upper deck.Plus with the motor/battery positions to choose from with the sbv2 it is a much nicer car to set-up and drive than the old sb pro cars.The new V2 pro kits also come with hardened steel outdrives vs. the plastic ones in previous kits.As Cain mentioned the plastics are a different formula, the sbv2 pro uses a much stiffer and more durable plastic than the previous kits.
As for the performance; They perform just as good as any other 4wd out there.I have out qualified and beat many a b44,zx5,HB d4,losi car with mine.
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...ducts_id/33512

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/cPath/1_44_228/products_id/13690

There are TWO pro buggies both say they have carbon fiber

your supposed to be the expert on team academy cars!!!!
Old 03-09-2009, 09:13 AM   #8
Tech Elite

One is the sbv1 pro, which was nice in it's day.The other is the newest version which is hands down a much nicer car.There is also a standard version sbv2,which can still be found at some hobby stores. and also the SB sport kit which is a composite chassis version of the sbv1 pro. So to be thorough there is actually 4 different kits depending on where you are shopping.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:19 AM   #9
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
One is the sbv1 pro, which was nice in it's day.The other is the newest version which is hands down a much nicer car.There is also a standard version sbv2,which can still be found at some hobby stores. and also the SB sport kit which is a composite chassis version of the sbv1 pro. So to be thorough there is actually 4 different kits depending on where you are shopping.
I thought you were supposed to know of every Team Academy kit made
and be sponsored by them but perhaps I'm just joking with you
Old 03-09-2009, 09:26 AM   #10
Tech Elite

well just trying to be thorough. The guy asked for differences, and really we could spend all day listing the differences between the 4 kits.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:35 AM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
well just trying to be thorough. The guy asked for differences, and really we could spend all day listing the differences between the 4 kits.
we can if you want , pretty much all R/C cars are good quality these days. Every company only makes a few things that are really good, and every company specializes in that category. All can be modded and setup to handle and feel like another companies cars.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:25 AM   #12
Tech Legend

The main thing I would say to look for if you are getting an SB V1 style buggy, regardless if its pro of sport is that it has a Kose / SB V2 style mount. The cam style mount on really hard landings could be knocked free or loose. It was possible to correct this by notching the stock Sport cam, or going with the Pro style cam, but the pro cam didnt' have much gearing range as the sport cam. (don't know why, just the way it was). The V2 has NONE of these issues.

A plus though on the SB V1s was the 1/8 style wing in my opinion. Its heavier for sure, but extremely durable. Made a nice pogo stick too.