R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-09-2009, 09:40 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post
ugh that was an example on how to do turns with the slash of what applies to ALL dirt tracks. You obviously do not understand my comments. You think I'm not aware that good tires and traction keep you from sliding my name is Bob !!!! There is a such thing as having to much traction, my whole point was saying you want looser wheels in the rear than the front far as grip goes, otherwise your car would push in the turns and turn horribly. My setup example was not for a dirt oval. You totally blew that point, it was to show you how you can control in loose conditions. If you know how to control the car with less grip slideing in turns, you will have faster lap times, your turning ability will be faster, thus faster lap times. You would want traction but not to much. Edge in the front and bowties in the rear is all you would need for the slow poke slash.

Ok if you took the same full size cars. One drifted the corners and the other car took the clean APEX with full traction who do you think would win?? The non-drift car. Its the same thing with rc racing you wont as much traction you can get.
This way you wont spin out. And my slash is not stock. It is a vxl slash on 3 cell lipo and its not poke at all. I was looking at bowties front and rear.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
snowboard094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 09:51 PM   #17
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboard094 View Post
Ok if you took the same full size cars. One drifted the corners and the other car took the clean APEX with full traction who do you think would win?? The non-drift car. Its the same thing with rc racing you wont as much traction you can get.
This way you wont spin out. And my slash is not stock. It is a vxl slash on 3 cell lipo and its not poke at all. I was looking at bowties front and rear.
Depends on your driving style You would of course slide while hugging the inside line in a turn, then you will get off the turn with an arc making hair adjustments right and left to keep your car from spinning out. I win races for a reason my friend There are all kinds of things setup wise that can increase your grip as well. You can use windex and simplegreen to also tweak your tires to have increased grip. A softer tire compond and soft tire foam will also provide more grip. Soft shocks will also increase grip. Weight will also increase grip. Tires increase grip, ride height changes grip. All of those things are important, just note you want slightly looser in the rear. With your slash bowties and edges would work in the front. The slash isn't 4wd, bowties in the front will not help you the edges will grip in turns like a knife in butter. My XXX-CR uses a 5700kv and 3S Lipo and 1/10 4wd's use 4600kv brush-less motors.If you would have specified how your car was setup instead of saying "Slash" I could have given you a better idea of what you want

Dusty conditions, Losi Bigshots and Jconcept Goosebumps, Double D's and inside jobs all work in the rear

Packed groove, Bowtie, Holeshot, BK-Bar, Tapper pin work well in rear

far as front, Edge works good for just about any condition, taper pin in the front if you need a little more edge.
Old 03-09-2009, 09:55 PM   #18
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (96%+)

soak them in a good traction compound, light them on fire & spin them for 30 seconds. See what the field says after you hold a good solid line that they can't come close to following. They will be buttery soft & super tacky. If you are on a budget you can pick up junk tires & do this to them to save money on tire expenses. I believe that mod slash should use 1/8th buggy tires & wheels & just run a 3s lipo & long mains like li//bl pro truck. A slash w/ a vxl & a 3s 8kmah lipo would fly & easily make a 30 minute main.
party_wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #19
Tech Master

Quote:
Depends on your driving style You would of course slide while hugging the inside line in a turn, then you will get off the turn with an arc making hair adjustments right and left to keep your car from spinning out. I win races for a reason my friend There are all kinds of things setup wise that can increase your grip as well. You can use windex and simplegreen to also tweak your tires to have increased grip. A softer tire compond and soft tire foam will also provide more grip. Soft shocks will also increase grip. Weight will also increase grip. Tires increase grip, ride height changes grip. All of those things are important, just note you want slightly looser in the rear. With your slash bowties and edges would work in the front. The slash isn't 4wd, bowties in the front will not help you the edges will grip in turns like a knife in butter. My XXX-CR uses a 5700kv and 3S Lipo and 1/10 4wd's use 4600kv brush-less motors.If you would have specified how your car was setup instead of saying "Slash" I could have given you a better idea of what you want

Dusty conditions, Losi Bigshots and Jconcept Goosebumps, Double D's and inside jobs all work in the rear

Packed groove, Bowtie, Holeshot, BK-Bar, Tapper pin work well in rear

far as front, Edge works good for just about any condition, taper pin in the front if you need a little more edge.

On post #9 i said what i was running. If you wont me to be more specific i am running:
rpm arms
aluminum caster blocks and hubs
Losi 8ight shocks with 30wt oil
vxl 3 cell lipo
cvd kit
and lots more little things that don't matter as much...

Well i guess we all have a preference on driving style. My preference is Traction. I will try the tires that you recommended and see how they work. Thanks
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 03-09-2009, 10:04 PM   #20
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
On post #9 i said what i was running. If you wont me to be more specific i am running:
rpm arms
aluminum caster blocks and hubs
Losi 8ight shocks with 30wt oil
vxl 3 cell lipo
cvd kit
and lots more little things that don't matter as much...

Well i guess we all have a preference on driving style. My preference is Traction. I will try the tires that you recommended and see how they work. Thanks
Well, you have a lot more weight than a normal slash, however you lost a ton of weight using a lipo cell. I would suggest adding lead weights in the rear and the front, this will take some experimentation. Your arms would survive crashes at high speed. I would say that Jconcept's Double Dee's would be the best rear tire for you, and proline Edge would work well in the front depending on track conditions. Be sure to balance your tires and get the correct camber for your track conditions to ensure you get the most traction possible and traction to your liking.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:06 PM   #21
Tech Master

ok will do but do the T4 rims that fit the edge tires fit the slash hexes? If not what rims could i run with these tires.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 PM   #22
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
ok will do but do the T4 rims that fit the edge tires fit the slash hexes? If not what rims could i run with these tires.
why not use the same rims as your stock tires, simply remove the tires and put the tire of your choice on it
Old 03-09-2009, 10:10 PM   #23
Tech Master

Quote:
why not use the same rims as your stock tires, simply remove the tires and put the tire of your choice on it
Because my rims are bead lock and these tires are not made for that.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 03-09-2009, 10:20 PM   #24
Tech Master

or can you put bead lock rims on these tires?
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 PM   #25
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

Yanno man, at this point I'd seriously recommend selling the thing and buying a traditional stadium truck. You're trying to make a Slash do the exact opposite of what it was created to do, and exactly what a T4 or a XXX-T was made for.

What happens when you put a high-grip tire on a Slash is the truck starts traction-rolling nonstop. I race at an indoor carpet track where we get that all the time with fresh tires, you literally can't put enough camber in the suspension or lower the truck's ride height enough to fix it, the only thing you can do is run it easy until a film of carpet buildup accumulates on the tread and the truck starts to slide around. Putting a high-grip indoor tire on a Slash and running it on a high-grip indoor track will do the exact same thing, only the traction-roll effect never goes away.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:51 PM   #26
Tech Master

I see your point but i am running on an indoor tight packed dirt surface that is very slippery with the stock tires. Will the better tires will the truck still traction roll on this surface?
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 03-09-2009, 10:55 PM   #27
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Send a message via MSN to OTE_TheMissile

If you figure out some way to run a front rib/rear fuzzy or a slick setup, yeah, probably. Slashes aren't like traditional stadium trucks where you want the tires to hold like a Formula 1 car, there's only so much the chassis can take before it goes over.

A little over a week ago I went to an indoor dirt track, and even with a worn-out set of the stock tires it was still pretty easy to get the truck up on 2 wheels if I wasn't careful. I couldn't imagine putting a set of fuzzies or slicks on one of these things and being able to drive it.
OTE_TheMissile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:01 PM   #28
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTE_TheMissile View Post
If you figure out some way to run a front rib/rear fuzzy or a slick setup, yeah, probably. Slashes aren't like traditional stadium trucks where you want the tires to hold like a Formula 1 car, there's only so much the chassis can take before it goes over.

A little over a week ago I went to an indoor dirt track, and even with a worn-out set of the stock tires it was still pretty easy to get the truck up on 2 wheels if I wasn't careful. I couldn't imagine putting a set of fuzzies or slicks on one of these things and being able to drive it.
Well even with all the power the vxl on a 3 cell puts out i can't manage to pull a wheelie on this track(not that i would want to though). It is slicker than most i believe. Some guys at my track do this setup and lap me so thats why i am so interested in these tires.
T-maxx O.S .18tm