R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-06-2009, 10:53 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default Losi 8ight New Conversion questions! NEWBIE!

Hey guys and gals I know there are a million threads on here with tons of opinions and I was curious if anyone can make my mind up for me...

I have raced 1.10th scale electric from 2 wheel buggies to trucks and 4 wheels always electric.

I recently bought a 8ight with in mind to convert it to brushless. I am going back and forth debating on the Losi conversion or the Tecko with the brake and clutch.

I am only using the buggy for racing on a short technical track only one 90 foot or so straight away... Many turns and jumps.

I also line in AZ which means summer time evening racing will still be 100 degrees.

My question is what is the best option? Teckno conversion with the new chassis, clutch and brake. Or Losi with the no brake? My car currently has the flex tuned Losi chassis.

Anyway, I appreciate the input. I have read the Losi 8 E Thread and there is just too much info in there to sift through.

Thank you for the help!
Cars since Feb 09: XRAY 808 (3) CRC (2) Bolink Legends (1) RC10L4 (1) TC5 (2) Losi 8ight 1.0 (4) 2.0 (3) XXXCR (5) XXXTCR (6) RB5 (4) ZX5 FS (6) B4 (4) B44 (7) T4 (3) RC8 (4) 125R (1) Futaba 3PKS (5) Airtronics M11 (3) Futaba 4pk (1) KO EX10 (2) JR Z-1 (1) Sponsor: My Wife thank God she has a good job.
hemi4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 05:29 AM   #2
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I asked the question about mechanical brakes on a brushless 1/8 buggy in the Losi thread because I had a dude try to tell me I was doing my whole conversion wrong because I wasn't using any kind of brakes. Goto page 62 or 63 and look for my post in that thread. There were alot of responses and dedates the subject. I am not going to worry about putting brakes on my 8ight conversion.
richclo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richclo View Post
I had someone tell me yesterday that all of us who are going to run 1/8 brushless were doing it totally wrong. He said we need to be using a nitro clutch and run a throttle servo for brakes. I have read several threads on here about 1/8 brushless and have never heard mention of this. Is this guy a tool or are there any guys doing this because it is better?
Quote:
Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
It's because you can handle a corner FASTER when you have brake bias. Anyone who says different, just doesn't understand.
I think R40victim is from a nitro back ground. In his eyes their is only one way. And he is entitled to his opinion.
I myself ran nitro for 4 years (buggy and truggy)
but before that I ran electric for a few years.
I think that everyone can agree to disagree on this subject.
For me I wanted to try and keep my 8ight as light as i can. so the tekno kit with the extra servo and linkage was weight i did not want.
right now i have the mmm2200kv motor I will be getting the 2650 because it is lighter. right now my buggy comes in at 8lbs even race ready.
right now my buggy feels good and can hold a fast tight line.
but it does require a good brake and pinion combo to get it to work.

good luck

I
tdeal823 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:13 AM   #4
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by richclo View Post
I asked the question about mechanical brakes on a brushless 1/8 buggy in the Losi thread because I had a dude try to tell me I was doing my whole conversion wrong because I wasn't using any kind of brakes. Goto page 62 or 63 and look for my post in that thread. There were alot of responses and dedates the subject. I am not going to worry about putting brakes on my 8ight conversion.

All I can say is Cav lowered is lap times on a convereted 8th scale. While it might give you some advantage if you are running against other electrics with it I think any disadvantage is washed against nitro cars with your instant on power.

Mechanical brakes are just another thing that you have to deal with also.

Pick you poison but being from electric I am not sure you would miss the mechanical brakes.
nichocgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 11:58 AM   #5
TLRacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi4me View Post
Hey guys and gals I know there are a million threads on here with tons of opinions and I was curious if anyone can make my mind up for me...

I have raced 1.10th scale electric from 2 wheel buggies to trucks and 4 wheels always electric.

I recently bought a 8ight with in mind to convert it to brushless. I am going back and forth debating on the Losi conversion or the Tecko with the brake and clutch.

I am only using the buggy for racing on a short technical track only one 90 foot or so straight away... Many turns and jumps.

I also line in AZ which means summer time evening racing will still be 100 degrees.

My question is what is the best option? Teckno conversion with the new chassis, clutch and brake. Or Losi with the no brake? My car currently has the flex tuned Losi chassis.

Anyway, I appreciate the input. I have read the Losi 8 E Thread and there is just too much info in there to sift through.

Thank you for the help!
I feel the losi conversion is the only way to go. I do not see the reason for a clutch in electric. Part of the beauty of EP is the punch you have. Why sacrifice that with a clutch that will need rebuilt. From all of my testing I feel the ESC brakes are fine. By having mechanical brakes you have to spend extra for the servo. Something to think about is we do not usr mechanical brakes in 1.10 offroad.

One recommendation for your car on a small tight track is to think about getting a SmartDiff to help the car rotate the tight turns. I recommend starting with a center SmartDiff then if more steering is desired try a front SmartDiff as well.
Team Losi Racing, Orion, Nitrotane, Spektrum, Imagine It Graphics, Bradley Fine Line Designs, and Lunsford.
Todd Hodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdeal823 View Post
I think R40victim is from a nitro back ground. In his eyes their is only one way. And he is entitled to his opinion.
I myself ran nitro for 4 years (buggy and truggy)
but before that I ran electric for a few years.
I think that everyone can agree to disagree on this subject.
For me I wanted to try and keep my 8ight as light as i can. so the tekno kit with the extra servo and linkage was weight i did not want.
right now i have the mmm2200kv motor I will be getting the 2650 because it is lighter. right now my buggy comes in at 8lbs even race ready.
right now my buggy feels good and can hold a fast tight line.
but it does require a good brake and pinion combo to get it to work.

good luck

I
Buuuurrrrp. Huh... wha... another brake debate? Oh goody!

R40Victim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2009, 02:35 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichocgn View Post
All I can say is Cav lowered is lap times on a convereted 8th scale. While it might give you some advantage if you are running against other electrics with it I think any disadvantage is washed against nitro cars with your instant on power.

Mechanical brakes are just another thing that you have to deal with also.

Pick you poison but being from electric I am not sure you would miss the mechanical brakes.
Good answer thank you...
Cars since Feb 09: XRAY 808 (3) CRC (2) Bolink Legends (1) RC10L4 (1) TC5 (2) Losi 8ight 1.0 (4) 2.0 (3) XXXCR (5) XXXTCR (6) RB5 (4) ZX5 FS (6) B4 (4) B44 (7) T4 (3) RC8 (4) 125R (1) Futaba 3PKS (5) Airtronics M11 (3) Futaba 4pk (1) KO EX10 (2) JR Z-1 (1) Sponsor: My Wife thank God she has a good job.
hemi4me is offline   Reply With Quote