R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-05-2009, 05:34 PM   #1

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)
Default why did roar kill off 10.5 in offroad?

wonderin, very popular combination so i see for offroad and especially on local level (in contrast to onroad where most tracks dont run stuff that fast). couldnt they have stipulated in offroad that its mod/10.5/13.5. yes different than onroad but caterin to what many folks run. didnt they also shoot all the motor makers in the foot who do 10.5s (save for folks wantin a 'slow mod' for tight indoor bullrings)?

again, just a thought, discuss

R
UltegraSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Because SS is a 19T class also, and for the poeple running brushed motors a 10.5 running with them would be a disadvantage.

The o''le saying goes, pay me now, or pay me later, because you gonna pay me. "Pearl_414"
Chris__RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris__RC View Post
Because SS is a 19T class also, and for the poeple running brushed motors a 10.5 running with them would be a disadvantage.
True, no more cheating? haha Forget Roar j/k
Old 03-05-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

the only disadvantage i see is consistancy. my old 19 turn motors were faster than my 10.5
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
gweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:50 PM   #5

i wasnt really lookin at the brushed/BL factor. since most have gone away from brushes. just fact that u dont have many folks run 17.5 buggy, and now 10.5s dont have a home in large part. is this is part of a ploy to get new cars with different tranny ratios to market?

R
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #6
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

10.5 was not eliminated because of a ploy to make new cars lol. roar would not be that smart. we are talking about roar....comon, they are.....we will leave it at that. i dont want to write two pages.
ask dawn or whoever is in charge. i personally could care less. i get a membership only to go to the nats if it is close. other than that, eh.
Brollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:57 PM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

no. imo ROAR is like the FIA a bunch a$$holes. also imo its all part of obamas stimulus plan. to make us buy new motos hence the rc community is putting money back into the companies and we are stimulating the economy. where as we normally woulent need a new motor for another year or so unless something better came out then what you had.
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
gweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:00 PM   #8
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 67 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post
i wasnt really lookin at the brushed/BL factor. since most have gone away from brushes. just fact that u dont have many folks run 17.5 buggy, and now 10.5s dont have a home in large part. is this is part of a ploy to get new cars with different tranny ratios to market?

R
IMHO... Run stock, or run mod. If you want to run a 10.5 in mod and you can keep up with everyone then why not? 10.5 TC was fun because it was actually a bit more power. In my T4, a 13.5 to 10.5 to me there isnt any difference in top end really, just a bit more low end. Im only running 10.5 till I get my 7.5 and a few other motors for my wheeler

Its just another class, less classes there is the more people there is in ALL the classes. Not 5 guys here, 7 there, 10 there. Thats what I like about LakePort. All classes are open, and its great. Theres always a nice amount of people in all the classes. Open 2wd buggy, open 2wd truck, 4wd buggy, clash, novice/sportsman.

Just IMO...
Old 03-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #9
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 50 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to wyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultegrasti View Post

R
Well maybe it is a way to cut down on some excess classes so more people are running together in a class and have more competition to race against. Too many classes just split racers and they you end up running against 5 and 6 guys to a class.

Look at some of the bigger classes nowadays on offroad and it is 1/8th buggy and truggy. Very easy you have 2 choices and very simple rules that most everyone (even non racers) can understand. You ever try to explain to someone what is needed to run some of these electric classes and they just look at you trying to figure out what they need. Maybe less classes and simple rules will help out some.
Custom Works (Best Oval Cars around)
wyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:02 PM   #10
BSS
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 16 (100%+)

i hate ROAR......$30 a year for no reason...... i couldnt go to a race this past weekend because ROAR never sent me my information!!
BSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 06:05 PM   #11

and ur .02 is noted. i just didnt understand how they had to treat onroad and offroad the same way. a simple overview of what was popular out there would have shown that mod/10.5/13.5 was more inline than the 'onroad' format. i liked the fact that i could run my ride in 10.5 form in 2 classes at bigger races. now thats gone and if want to. i'd either be changin motors (not real feasible) or buyin ANOTHER 2wd (or 4wd if applicable) to do 13.5 which honestly in my area i've never seen a 13.5 2wd race. almost forces me into thinkin of a truck or 4wd purchase instead.

heck a better idea might be using this period in time to go back to a 2 class format as it used to be. stock and mod. say mod and 13.5?

discuss

R
Old 03-05-2009, 07:05 PM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I guess it was that time of the month again. We needed another ROAR bashing thread!
Old 03-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #13
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 33 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSS View Post
i hate ROAR......$30 a year for no reason...... i couldnt go to a race this past weekend because ROAR never sent me my information!!

I got mines after a couple emails.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:48 PM   #14
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I personally think that there are way to many classes.

I hate that I typically race against 6 people in stock, and then there's 6 more in 10.5T, and then 10 in mod.

Oh, and then slash.
XXX-T - Stock Truck
XXX4+g
Toddzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #15
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

ultegrasti, I get what your sayin, but... Out in my region I have never seen a 10.5 class of anything. Leisure hours in CHi-town used to have a 10.5/19t truck class, but they never had any stock classes. They have since switched to 13.5/19t per roar rules. Every track except 1 runs 13.5 as the stock class.

Just because roar went away from 10.5 as the super stock class doesnt mean local tracks cant still run it. I am of the opinion that if you can handle a 10.5 well, than you should just sign up for mod anyway. A couple of veteran racers around here that normally run mod popped in 10.5's and their laptimes stayed the same or got better, especially when the track was slick.

I for one would much rather see a 2 class format again mod/13.5. With cars current gearing, the amount of gear needed for 17.5 is just ridiculous and still slow.

Go that way really fast... if something gets in your way... TURN!
aeRayls is offline   Reply With Quote