R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-05-2009, 02:15 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror
Default Hyperion charger users...

On the topic of cycling NiMH receivers packs. If you want to cycle them do you just set the TCS down something like 10% and let it run? If the pack is nearly full does the charger discharge the pack to to the rate specified by the TCS setting? I want to cycling some of my RX packs but I'm not sure if the way to "discharge" packs with the Hyperion is to use the TCS setting.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 02:47 PM   #2
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to JGruber

Which Hyperion are you using? The 0610i DUO doesn't have a discharge feature. I know on the 1210i, you can set the battery on a 'Cycle Setting', and then specify how many times you want to cycle it.
Lost Eight 3.0e
Futaba 4PX
JGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:52 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGruber View Post
Which Hyperion are you using? The 0610i DUO doesn't have a discharge feature. I know on the 1210i, you can set the battery on a 'Cycle Setting', and then specify how many times you want to cycle it.
I have a 610i, so I guess there is no discharge function?

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 03:57 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to JGruber

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
I have a 610i, so I guess there is no discharge function?
As far as I know, you can't discharge on this charger. The 0610i DUO II however, my understanding is that you can discharge.
Lost Eight 3.0e
Futaba 4PX
JGruber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #5
Tech Regular

The duo 2 does have a discharge feature but mine is the older version without discharge so I am not sure how it works.

Does anyone know what the duo is doing when the decimal point changes to a square and blinks when you are charging. To see this you need to look at the cell voltages in the balance mode screen where all the cells are showing. I think it means they are balancing but nothing I can find in manual mentions this.

Had a weird situation yesterday...new 5s5000mah flightmax pack, never charged. Put on the hyperion, message says one cell to high and will not charge. Put the pack in the car and ran for 5 minutes, then it would charge. Before the run the no. 1 cell had a reading of 4.300 volts, after the run it was 3.8!!! Charged ok then.
Thopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thopper View Post
The duo 2 does have a discharge feature but mine is the older version without discharge so I am not sure how it works.
All Hyperion 610i chargers have a discharge mode. Some of the older chargers need a firmware update to access it however. The newest Duo 2 has the high discharge mode, the older ones have I think 300mah discharge rate.

Quote:
Does anyone know what the duo is doing when the decimal point changes to a square and blinks when you are charging. To see this you need to look at the cell voltages in the balance mode screen where all the cells are showing. I think it means they are balancing but nothing I can find in manual mentions this.
The blinking decimal points are the cells that are currently being discharged or balanced.

Quote:
Had a weird situation yesterday...new 5s5000mah flightmax pack, never charged. Put on the hyperion, message says one cell to high and will not charge. Put the pack in the car and ran for 5 minutes, then it would charge. Before the run the no. 1 cell had a reading of 4.300 volts, after the run it was 3.8!!! Charged ok then.
This has happened to me in the past. I've read it's an issue with the order you connect the battery in. Regardless usually when I get this error (or the opposite cell too low error) I just unplug everything and reboot the charger.

As for the OP, I think NIMH charge mode has a dedicated cycle. After you push enter the first time and get to the 2nd screen it should be an option there. I believe their is cycle, manual, and automatic. I can't remember for sure I haven't charged a NIMH pack in a long time. I can test it at work tomorrow with a RX pack.
Linkdead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Not sure which firmware upgrade brought the discharge to teh 0610I, but it is only a 300ma or 0.3amps. Hyperion states the intent for teh discharge capability is only for storage mode where you tell the charger to store it at some value that's less than batt's current charge. Charger will then discharge at 300ma until it reaches the storage value you input. It is not a real discharger like on the Ice or the newer 0720i or DuoII.

The DUO II has a 50watt per side discharge capability, Hyperions lists this as "50watt+50watt 10A discharge". The 0720i is listed as "80watt 10A max discharge". I'm not sure what kind of algorithm they use, but there will be some kind of voltage (or current?) limit set to stay under the power limitation.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote