R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-04-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default necessary to use novak lipo cut off on GTS?

hey guys im picking up my lipo tommorow. finally. do i actually need the Novak cut off for my gts esc?

how will i know my lipo is running out? isnt it bad to use it tilll it all gone?
vtec. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:13 PM   #2
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

The GTS has no built-in voltage cut-off. You don't HAVE to run a cut-off, but you certainly risk damaging the battery if you don't. I don't run a cut-off in my Slash. I just stop running the car as soon as the truck starts slowing down significantly. I don't recommend not running a cut-off though.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:24 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I still used my brushed GTX with my LiPos for stock 2wd racing... I just practice the same as I race. If you are bashing and want to run longer, you might want to consider a new ESC or get a LiPo cutoff... If you consistently run your LiPo down low you risk shorting the life of the pack.. if you run it down too low, you can ruin the cells permanently.

Jerome
JeromeK99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:47 PM   #4
Tech Fanatic

A cutoff time is preferred!! It is okay to drain it down till it starts to slow down significantly, but it does risk a chance or damaging your cells especially if you do it more than FIVE Times. This typically is the limit for most lipo's depending on maH!! Run your battery one time using a timer and time till it starts to slow down. Then just make a timer on your radio or stopwatch to go off at least 3-5 minutes before it started to loose its power to ensure that to much power has been drained from the pack.
xDaRReLLx87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #5
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

im picking up the orion 3800 tommorow. im mainly gonna use it to club race. stock class...
vtec. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
Tech Fanatic

You should have went A123 instead of LiPo
Same power, less charge time, doesn't need
to be balanced all the time and longer run time!!
It's the future of batteries now
Old 03-04-2009, 08:03 PM   #7
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

First few times, pay close attention to how long you run and how much charger puts back in. You can figure a mah/min and have a better idea how long you can safely run.

You will damage the lipo if you overdischarge it below ~6v. Better quality cells like Orion tolerate overdischarge better and usually don't swell (puff), but it does cost you cycles, ie batt life. Cheaper lipos swell up when overdischarged and are not safe to use anymore.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 08:05 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duster_360 View Post
First few times, pay close attention to how long you run and how much charger puts back in. You can figure a mah/min and have a better idea how long you can safely run.

You will damage the lipo if you overdischarge it below ~6v. Better quality cells like Orion tolerate overdischarge better and usually don't swell (puff), but it does cost you cycles, ie batt life. Cheaper lipos swell up when overdischarged and are not safe to use anymore.
They will all puff up when used extreemly hard, even when you stop using them above the 6v range A123's are way more reliable and safer, lighter, faster charge, doesn't need to be balanced very often.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:32 PM   #9
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to nv529

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post
They will all puff up when used extreemly hard, even when you stop using them above the 6v range A123's are way more reliable and safer, lighter, faster charge, doesn't need to be balanced very often.

i like the technology of the a123 batteries but my main problem with them are the 3.3v vs 3.7c, and mah for mah a123 are almost 2 times the size of a lipo. its not really comparing apples to apples.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #10
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv529 View Post
i like the technology of the a123 batteries but my main problem with them are the 3.3v vs 3.7c, and mah for mah a123 are almost 2 times the size of a lipo. its not really comparing apples to apples.
Copyright rules are restricting that at the moment My 3S A123 runs my XXX-CR with 5700kv mamba max for 30 minutes and the battery life curve is perfectly horizontal whereas the lipo is a curve loosing its overall power thus evening out to a123's, main thing is you can't catch a123's on fire like Lipos and they learn to balance themselves after the first 15 balanced charges due to it's unique chemistry
Old 03-05-2009, 12:40 AM   #11
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I would either get a cutoff or get a different ESC. I ran LIPO for a while with no cutoff and I was always worried about damaging a $100 battery. Timing works okay until you forget when you started because you are focused on racing or having fun or whatever, OR you run for 5 minutes, do some tweaking, run a litttle longer . . . . I was alway stopping after about NN minutes when I knew I could get NN more, but just wanted to be safe. Have fun with the hobby and take the distractions out.
rknott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 01:08 AM   #12
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to drperry Send a message via MSN to drperry Send a message via Yahoo to drperry

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDaRReLLx87 View Post
Copyright rules are restricting that at the moment My 3S A123 runs my XXX-CR with 5700kv mamba max for 30 minutes and the battery life curve is perfectly horizontal whereas the lipo is a curve loosing its overall power thus evening out to a123's, main thing is you can't catch a123's on fire like Lipos and they learn to balance themselves after the first 15 balanced charges due to it's unique chemistry

Any battery is capable of catching fire, or melting, or otherwise having a horrible failure

It's just that some are less likely to have the problem, than others are...

If you're only racing with it, charge it between runs, if only to keep the voltage up.
drperry is offline   Reply With Quote