Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The vintage offroad thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Default The vintage offroad thread

I am looking to restore something this winter but still be able to run it at the track every now and then, would would be a good rc to restore, I am mostly try to stick with american and buggy. The older taymias look to toyish for me.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:05 AM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

something i found out the hard way. if you didnt have a direct connection to it as a kid, then it just doesnt have extra something in meaning when u pick 1 up later. i bought a few bugs that i always wanted as a kid gaukin at the mail order catalogs but no way could afford. got them as an adult and they sat on the shelf. my blackfoot is a different story. sits proudly here with my choice of original body (stompin' around) or my custom painted body my dad had done for me back then. i change em out here and there just for show.

but again, try and find somethin u had a connection to in some way. make its better IMO

R
Old 11-16-2008, 09:15 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

might as well do a XXX, its almost 10 years old or a xx4, that thing came out in 96 I believe. Parts still readily available and you can stay competitive if you want to race. Thats vintage enough.
Old 11-16-2008, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

would a xx buggy be a good choice? I've only been in r/c for a few years so the old stuff is new to me? Would would be a better choice rc10 gold or xx buggy.
Old 11-16-2008, 10:52 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti
something i found out the hard way. if you didnt have a direct connection to it as a kid, then it just doesnt have extra something in meaning when u pick 1 up later. i bought a few bugs that i always wanted as a kid gaukin at the mail order catalogs but no way could afford. got them as an adult and they sat on the shelf. my blackfoot is a different story. sits proudly here with my choice of original body (stompin' around) or my custom painted body my dad had done for me back then. i change em out here and there just for show.

but again, try and find somethin u had a connection to in some way. make its better IMO

R

I couldn't agree with you more about finding a kit that has meaning. I'm about to pick a NIB Tamiya Stadium Thunder, it's the closest thing that I can get to the O.G. Stadium Blitzer I got when I was 10yrs old (15yrs ago) Now that thing has some meaning to me!

Anyway good luck on your resto. What ever you do... if you do, do a rc10 gold tub they are out there, but you might spend a pretty penny getting all the parts together and making it as "clean" as you might want it. Good luck either way and keep us updated.

Jay
Old 11-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

I have a xxx-4 now and would like a xx-4 but my battery will not work.
Old 11-16-2008, 11:28 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
I have a xxx-4 now and would like a xx-4 but my battery will not work.
If by your battery doesnt work you mean your running lipo, the guys running at my track with xx4's run their lipos on the drivers side of the car and run all the electronics on the other side and just add weight to balance it back out and add the difference with the lipo
Old 11-16-2008, 11:42 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

RC10 gold tub would be better. Even that black tub RC10 would be great and better than the XX I have.

Originally Posted by roadrashracing
would a xx buggy be a good choice? I've only been in r/c for a few years so the old stuff is new to me? Would would be a better choice rc10 gold or xx buggy.
Old 11-16-2008, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator

I'm a losi guy anyway, I can get parts local too.
Old 11-16-2008, 01:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If anyone is interested I have a RC10 gold tub listed in the for sale section:

http://www.rctech.net/forum/r-c-item...-gold-tub.html
Old 11-16-2008, 01:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

I'd love to find an old JRx2 5 link to run again.....that was such a fun car as it was so different
Old 11-16-2008, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator

I went to my hobbyshop and got all the old losi parts I could get, got a really good deal, they where glad to see them go.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ultegrasti

R

Lol I couldn't afford them then and still can't. Ebay had a NIB Sand Scorcher for just $3400
Old 11-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

idk how any1 could afford those SRBs, let alone those crazy brits who run theirs all the time.

gold tubs are fine if u had 1, or if u were a 5link guy. thats cool too. tires are the big headache these days since the sizes changed a couple times since the 1.9/1.5 days. 2.1/1.9 2.1/2.0 then finally 2.2. i think most who ran at that vintage nationals up north used modern wheel/tire combos on the old cars as vintage rubber is pretty much useless for all but show.

R
Old 11-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

So did you wind up going with a XX-4? Cool cars IMO. And if you start racing you now have a XXX-4 for smooth tracks and a XX-4 for the ruff stuff.

Jay

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.