R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Thumbs down PREDATOR/TEAM XTREME - DISSAPOINTING TO SAY THE LEAST

Has anyone else had any issues with Team Xtreme? I recently purchased a Predator X11 08 and have had nothing but trouble with product and the company. Unanswered emails, defective parts, replacement parts that are "in the mail" but never show up, poor quality, missing parts, etc....

I have never been so excited to get something in the mail only to end up being utterly disappointed.... To make matters worse, i think it is actually the most expensive kit on the market

Please tell me that this is an anomaly and they are actually a good company....I have about $800 in this car including spares and i hope i haven't made the biggest mistake of my life
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 12:39 AM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

I got my Predator X11 directly from Lewis and Yanina (owners of Team Xtreme) and they were very helpful ironing out the problems I encountered. What problems are you having right now? Have you called them up directly?
ambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 01:20 AM   #3
Tech Adept

Hey,
i have been emailing them.... At this point, they have told me twice that parts were sent via Royal Mail and i have not received either shipment....One screwed up shipment by the Royal Mail/ USPS is feasible (even expected) but 2 times??? These are parts i really needed to sort the car properly... One part in particular was the rear drive shaft and stub axle.... it was so [email protected]&ked from the get go that i actually had to file off a bunch of material in order to even get it to rotate (not freely, just to rotate).... There was NO WAY it was going to free up after a couple of runs as they claim...Another was the pinion collars... they shipped extra rear axle spacers instead of pinion collars... i replaced with bearings but that is besides the point....

To be honest, the quality of the kit was well below expectations especially for something at this price point.... All of the anodized parts were different shades of blue, none of the axles rotated freely, parts were missing from the kit, half of the screws that were sent were the incorrect size, missing pinion collars, only one set of shock pistons, the chassis had to be dremeled in order to get the steering to move freely, blah...blah... blah.... you get the point...

When i first sent an email to Yanina to tell her about some of the problems, it took about 2 weeks to get a response with some kind of legitimate answer... At that point, the proper thing to do would have been for them to try and make things right (i have no problem with issues as long as they are handled in a proper fashion.... shit happens and i understand that).... instead it dragged on for another 2-3 weeks before anything even resembling a resolution was reached... Thats when they told me that replacement parts were sent.... Not via DHL so i could get the kit together but via Royal Mail... I am still waiting for these parts and its been 1.5 months....

After all of this crap, they tell me will re ship the necessary parts (because the others were obviously lost in postal hell) in a package of spares which i ordered.... I ask them if they shipped the axle/shaft with the package and their response was that those particular items had not been shipped... Then they had the nerve to ask me if "i really needed the drive shaft and bud axle" Of course i need it, will you please send me one.......To that they replied that they would send it in the post the following day...... I am still waiting on the drive shaft/axle.... going on 3 weeks since they claimed it shipped...

I have even offered to send them back the parts in question so they could see the issues first hand.... maybe they weren't aware of some of the issues.... God, i even offered to pay for the parts but i still didn't get responses....

By contrast, i just picked up a Kyosho FS kit and aside from some poor jap-english instructions the kit was fantastic....no modifications necessary, etc....

Do you want to buy another one????? I am so frustrated at this point that i just want to get rid of the car....
Old 03-02-2009, 02:56 AM   #4
Tech Master

Hmmm, your claim is very valid indeed. Team Xtreme is run by only two persons, it's a husband and wife affair. You get personal and swift service if you call them directly. They have a ton of things going on right now and getting a reply from them via e-mail will take some time.

I've had problems with the bud axle and driveshaft too but not as severe as what happened to yours. Granted that the included manual needs a lot of corrections and when I was building mine, I always went to the-pred.co.uk for additional information so I won't make a mistake. I even got their big bore shocks for it which was a little difficult to assemble. Yes, it's one of the most expensive kit on the planet (like the earlier version of the Durango) and if you build it right, it's a very fast racing machine!!!

The Royal Mail / USPS arrangement is not as good as it seemed IMO. I tried it once and it took almost 2 months to reach me. You can have it shipped via DHL but it'll jack up the cost completely. The plastics on the rod ends are also not up to par with the other brands out there. They are bit on the soft side. I even have to replace mine because when the front suspension is on its bottom (lowest droop) the servo cannot move the steering linkage. It's free now.

Back to the subject at hand, call them personally and air your concern in a nice and professional manner. Either one of them will be able to address your pressing concern. They are very nice people to talk to.

I hope you'll be able to iron out the problems on your X11 ride and be able to race it soon. BTW, be careful on setting the tension on the differentials because it doesn't use any form of spring. Once you've set it, put a dab or drop of CA at the other side of the screw. This will secure the setting. If you don't, the screw will move out and loosen the differential and all will be toast.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:54 AM   #5
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to y2kgtp Send a message via Yahoo to y2kgtp

Well, this takes a Predator X11 off my wish list.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:16 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)

im interested in buying 1 PM with price and details etc

thank you
Old 03-02-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Tech Adept

Ambo....

I understand that Team Xtreme is run by 2 people and, i feel, i have been more than understanding because of that fact. Based on the fact that it is a small company i have given them much more leeway than i would have afforded a large company. Like i said, i can understand all of the issues and would have been a very satisfied customer if they had handled them appropriately.... That being said, regardless of their size or their workload, once they knew there was a problem it should have never dropped off their radar. Phone call or email contact should not make a difference. The first time a didn't receive an email response for a few days, i was told that email hadn't been checked . Second time it was an email problem... etc, etc, etc... But come on... after a number of emails and responses, obviously they knew there were some issues so why not stay on top of it.... As far as the Royal Mail/USPS issue.... sure i can understand some postal issues... but if that is the case and they are aware of it, tell me about it and offer some alternatives... i am not saying i expected them to cover DHL costs but at least give me the option so that i can make the decision... As it so happens, i would have gladly paid the extra money for expedited shipping....

Bottom line.... small companies sometimes have issues... i can deal with that... be honest with me and work with me to get them sorted and i am happy as a clam.... I will plan accordingly and move along on my merry way....
Old 03-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Tech Adept

BTW... I actually did over tighten the diff rings the first time around and they cracked.... Live and learn...I even read the warning in the manual and still over tightened

To add insult too injury and make this whole fiasco even worse.... i cased a triple the other day and the thing cracked in half.... at least i ordered a spare chassis in my spare parts order....

some one said i should make an rc trailer out of the rear end of the pred and tow it behind my Kyosho FS.... LOL

Old 03-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Hi Blacksheep, I live in Vancouver BC- CANADA and i have been dealing also with Team Xtreme ( Yanina + Lewis) , so far have encountered no problems with the communication with them. In fact i have placed an order beginning of February and i got my items in abt 2 weeks time. I even forgot some items (which i remember next day) and i called them in the uk and they managed to include my items in my intial order. Everything arrived as ordered.
Now as far as it concerns the rest of the issues you are raising ...i truly understand and follow you . So far in 3 club races , i had 2 stripped spurs(probably my fault so dont count, 1 broken lower front arm, and 2 diff rings snapped- one during building process and one during racing) . But as you said Team Extreme is a small family biz and as far as i hear they working to make the car even better.

Dont want to support anyone with all the above said , as many times i said to myself , "go back to your HB D4" (havent broken anything for a whole season of insane abuse.)

Overall i try to keep my patience and if i see things are not moving then i will abandon the ship !...
Panic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 04:31 PM   #10
Tech Adept

just out of curiosity, how do you like the HB D4? I have heard great things about the durability but am a little hesitant based on parts availability? How have you found parts availability to be? Not for nothing but based on this experience i am hoping to get into a car that is well supported in the US...The Kyosho FS has been great.... Easy to work on, plenty of parts and a nice kit....

As an aside, i hear Team Xtreme is fantastic if you live in the UK.... Go figure
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM   #11
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mannkenpis

Please, someone delete this useless/nonconstructive thread just by respect for the guys business.

Thank you.
Mannkenpis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2009, 05:17 PM   #12
Tech Master

It seems you've been a victim of very sad circumstances....Granted that you made some mistakes in building it but we are all human....As the saying goes,"To err is human, to forgive divine".....This kit requires your full attention when building it because the tolerances are very tight....It took me forever to build it because I reviewed the instructions and Oople to get it done right the first time around. You could have been very eager in getting it done quickly thus the breakage of critical parts as you mentioned before.

I totally agree with you the a small company must deal with any customer problem with their fullest attention and support. The kit is not cheap thus expectations are running high for it to perform as expected. I was mystified with the X10 when it came out but held back buying immediately and waited for the reviews to come out. Well, my patience paid off because it had more problems and issues you wouldn't like to even think about! Then came the X11 which I thought will be my best ride ever. After building it, it still needs a lot of improvement in critical areas and the build instructions MUST be addressed accordingly. IMHO, this kit is not for the faint hearted who is used to building Japanese or American kits. Patience is a must to get it built right.

Sorry for the novel.....I hope everything works out for you and good luck with your X11....
Old 03-02-2009, 05:41 PM   #13
Tech Adept

mannkenpis:
I am not clear on your interpretation of the word useless? If this is the way Team Xtreme conducts its business than people have every right to know about it. If I had been informed of the way this company operated prior to my purchase I would have thought twice before ordering. That is not to say that I would not have purchased a predator but it would have played a role in my decision making process.

If the thread bothers you, DON'T READ IT!!!!! I think the title is fairly clear.

Ambo:
I agree completely about paying attention during the build.... unfortunately, the supplied diff rings seem very fragile.... I purchased some B-Fast diff rings (the Losi ones work as a substitution) and they seem to be quite a bit more substantial....

Bottom line.... Based on the price of this kit, quality and customer service need to be exceptional.... There are a number of kits that that can compete at %50-%75 of the cost....This is the fine line that boutique companies like Predator walk.... To charge the prices that they do, they need to be exceptional in order to prosper. This is also why i feel that they should be scrutinized... Had I purchased a $200 kit i might have expected some of this. It seems like it has the potential to be a great car provided the company supports it properly.... As far as critical areas needing to be addressed, it seems as if the team drivers are fairly active on the forums and are very involved in getting the kit to be fully race worthy.... this leads me to believe it will be a well thought out product in the future...

My 2 cents
Old 03-02-2009, 05:53 PM   #14
Tech Master

The X11 is a great race car if built and treated right. On my first outing with it, I was surprised how fast it's in-line speed was compared to the other cars out there. I brought shivers up my spine because it was a real handful to drive because of it's aggressiveness. I thought "Wow! That's why it's called the Predator!".

Being a small company, they SHOULD provide unparalleled support and service to its customers whatever issue they are having. Big and small at that. It's very sad that you've been subjected to this kind of treatment. I sympathize with you. Just a suggestion, give them a little bit more time to hold up to their end of the deal in supporting their product. I hope you'll be able to run it that'll bring back the smile you've been longing for when you first bought it. Good luck!!!!
Old 03-02-2009, 08:50 PM   #15
Tech Adept

Send a message via MSN to Mannkenpis

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksheep View Post
mannkenpis:
I am not clear on your interpretation of the word useless? If this is the way Team Xtreme conducts its business than people have every right to know about it. If I had been informed of the way this company operated prior to my purchase I would have thought twice before ordering. That is not to say that I would not have purchased a predator but it would have played a role in my decision making process.

If the thread bothers you, DON'T READ IT!!!!! I think the title is fairly clear.
Since we are opening a personal (live) conversation, it would have been more intelligent to ask your questions into the dedicated TTech thread. Your intentions are not to solve or find any solutions but to tarnish the reputation of a business name. Also, the way TTech is managed is none of your business unless you are an expert in a business forum. I personally don't care if you had communication problems with TeamXtreme and postal shipping problems but I do understand you had difficulties to build a complex r/c model. Again, your questions would have been more than welcome in the right thread.

There has been too many threads like this lately, and I feel somewhere ashamed for our community to read those kind of threads. For example, I am sure a lot remember, the Tekin bashing thread who pretty much started like this one. Remember, Tekin CEO had to chime in and stop the free bashing?

To quote your words, don't be a "dumb ass" and go to the TTech thread to share your anxiety and questions. There is also a friendly "For sale/Trade" sections on the board. Or maybe should you take some of the numerous cars you own and race them outside?

http://www.rctech.net/forum/smc-supe...neg-spark.html
Mannkenpis is offline   Reply With Quote