Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1/10 th or 1/8 th EP buggy?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Initiate

Default 1/10 th or 1/8 th EP buggy?

Hi guys I wanna buy a EP buggy but just can't decide which size I should go for....... So now which size has more popularity and more fun? THanks a lot
Old 02-28-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Regular

1/8 electric:
-only 4wd available
-growing size and popularity
-more expensive
-bigger... more fun? made of metal - more durable?

1/10 electric:
-choice of 2wd (cheaper) and 4wd (more expensive)
-moderate size/popularity depending on your loc
-less expensive to get into/get started with racing
-smaller... 4wd is less durable?

I could be wrong.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:26 PM
Dan
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 75 (100%+)

The 1/8th's will be more forgiving to drive and are way more durable, but startup cost is extremely high. A brushless setup will cost about $100+ on the 1/8th than the 1/10th for a comparable system and the cost for 4S/5S lipos are pretty substantial.
Old 02-28-2009, 02:46 PM
Tech Elite

1/8 scales are far more durable and that is one of the reasons why we made the first one. (Caster)...However, the debate will go on forever as to which is better, faster, etc...

I would say that you need to look at how many people are there running at your local track and decide from there. Maybe ask someone if you can drive their car for 5 minutes to see if you like it.

My Caster Team members will volunteer their cars service after a race day or on practice day if you are in the area of one. Just ask.

Where are you from?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I'm going to be the sensible one. How long have you been wheeling rc cars, and how good a driver are you? Simply put, if you haven't much experience go with the 1/10th scale. 1/8th electric buggies have allot of power and for someone starting out you will do more harm to your driving than good. To be honest for starting out I would recommend a 1/10 stadium truck, as they seem to be the most forgiving 1/10th class.

Now, if you have been doing this awhile, then it is a flip between 1/10th 4wd, and 1/8th. They are both extremely fun classes. 1/8th cost more, but is more durable, and can handle rutted tracks better. I think if you are a good driver, then just get which ever has the biggest turnout at the track you are planning to attend.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:19 PM
Tech Elite

I would have to disagree only because of the track in my area being small and technical, the 1/10 scales actually are slightly quicker for the fast drivers. Generally, 1/10 has a "novice" class for beginners which is nice, but the 1/8 scale generally has all types of drivers and a lot of tracks separate them into their proper class....but what do I know....lol.
Old 03-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Tech Initiate

I used to be playing 1/10 th EP onroad but the popularity of buggy just makes me wanna take a change. I lived in Bay Area so the closest track should be the one in Nor Cal which is in Union City.
So 1/8 th buggy : more power, durable but more expensive
and 1/10 th buggy: easier to get start with, cheaper but less durable, or does it have higher agility?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Your budget is the deciding factor here...I would go 1/8 buggy if
I could afford it myself