R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-28-2009, 07:12 PM   #1
Tech Initiate

Default Used Rustler Advice?

Would this be a bad deal. This is what the guy from craigslist said [well i just bought the vxl kit thing for it and a new battery and
that cost me 200..i got all kinds of extra wheels, part truck (a
stampede)and the battery i got is a 4600mAh....there is one thing
wrong with it, the steering server gears are striped, cost about 6
dollars to replace the gears.][everything you need comes with it. i got a couple of trasmiters, 4600 battery, speed charger....vxl is the motor is brushless, speed control is able to hold lipo batteries...they cost about 100 plus you have to buy a charger, but if you do the truck will do about 65mph so ya]

Last edited by jstange2; 02-28-2009 at 07:23 PM.
jstange2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #2
Tech Initiate

Oh. He's wants $150 for it.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:32 PM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstange2 View Post
Oh. He's wants $150 for it.
That sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Especially if it only needs a new steering servo. Plus the Rustler is a very durable car......I say go for it.
LIVipers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 06:44 AM   #4
Tech Initiate

I am assuming there is a difference between the regular rustler servo and the vxl servo. If this is true, then the vxl would be the one to get, right?
Old 03-01-2009, 08:17 AM   #5
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to cougardriftr

Well accually you can get any servo that same size to work well in the rustler there is alot of room for a servo i personally use a brand names cirrus they make a high speed (high speed for good steering response) and its also metal geared ( the gears inside are metal and take alot more to break ) and the best thing about these sevos is they are only around the 40 price rnge if you can find them hope this helps
cougardriftr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
Tech Initiate

Well, I bought it today. It was the rustler with vxl motor and esc and a newer venom 4600 6-cell NiMH battery and a pirahana charger. Then the extras....

2 titan 550's
stampede chassis, wheels and body
2 other motors
two old steering servos
two old xl-5 exc's
one old xl-1 esc
bunch of gears
a 3000 battery and a 3300 battery
2 extra transmitters
and another stripped down stampede chassis

On the way back I stopped at the LHS and picked up a cheap servo to get used to and a couple kits to get the batteries working with the setup (looks like he was half way there, he cut the old connectors off). When I got home, I tore into the servo and when I went to put the new one on I realized why he was having problems. The old one was on BACKWARDS. He didn't have the servo gear (?)in the arch they have molded in the chassis for it to rotate in. Put the new one in and no more grinding. I am trying to figure out the charger now, I assume that you setup the specs for the battery number you want to assign a certain battery then just select that number in the start section. I don't know. I had one plugged in for an hour and a half and realized that he had the wire insulation clamped in the connection on the charger.
I took it out since the 4600 had some charge in it and WOW. If this is how it runs with these, I won't be thinking about lipo's for a long time.
That's it for now.
Anything I should look at? I think I need new wheel hub shafts (?) (the part you mount the wheels to) because they have a lot of wobble to them.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:03 AM   #7
Tech Initiate

bump
Old 03-05-2009, 06:18 AM   #8
Tech Initiate

I started going through the parts last night and was easily able to put together a stampede. The stampede seems to have the carriers in better condition.
I haven't been able to get the 3300mah and the 3000mah to take a charge but I have a 2000mah battery that I had from radio shack that will do for now.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #9
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 59 (100%+)

its the rear bearings that whoble. the ones that come stock r to small and wear out quikly. get urself some RPM rear carriers with the 5x11 bearings and the will last alot longer
Old 03-05-2009, 08:32 PM   #10
Tech Initiate

Ok, thanks for the info. The rustler hauls with the 23 tooth gear in it.