R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-27-2009, 06:32 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default Just broke my slash's driveline

I just broke my slash's driveline. I went to my local hobby shop and they said that cvds suck and break easily. I am putting out serious power and need reliable drivelines. What should i do?
T-maxx O.S .18tm
snowboard094 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #2
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

sell it and buy a sc10 it sound like you run mod cause stock it doesnt have too much power. if you put the stock stuff back in you should be able to get some of the money up to get the sc10 you can find it for 179$ just froogle it
kyoslo RB5/ novak motors/ LRP sphere/ m11/ orion 4800,3800,3600/ blazin chronic racing/wphukuall radio/ raikkonen body/ mongoosed km-mini inferno with the multiplex red ass servo that owns johnny b-main and drew/ now at lir the JDM zx-5 sp mugen edition

"team bad guys"
gweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowboard094 View Post
I just broke my slash's driveline. I went to my local hobby shop and they said that cvds suck and break easily. I am putting out serious power and need reliable drivelines. What should i do?

I have been running my basher slash with a 3 cell lipo and a castle creations 5700kv brushless setup for about 9 months with very few breakages.

I get together every thursday and bash with a few other buddies that have slash set up almost the same. We do some simulated racing but mostly bash and it usually turns into a crash fest. I say all of this because during the summer and fall we never broke a thing but when the tempos started dropping below 45 we started seeing a lot more broken parts. We learned pretty quickly that at colder temps the slash plastic gets brittle. I even had a driveshaft shatter one night when it was about 20 degrees.

Now I don't know your situation but I do know me and others have put some serious power into a slash with no problems untill the temps drop.

As for gweeds idea a sc10 will not be stronger, it is based off of a T4 which is one of the best racing trucks made and I am sure the SC10 will prove to be a better race truck than a slash but a T4 will not take near the bashing that a slash takes.

Hope some of this helps.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #4
Tech Master

Sorry i am not gunna by an sc10 even though i would like to. My slash is a racer and basher. It have TONS of mods and over $700 into it and currently running a vxl on 3 cell 30c lipo. When the drivelines broke it was like 60 degrees outside so i dont think that was a problem. Should i buy cvds? Are they worth it?
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 02-27-2009, 07:23 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Snowboard, Pick up a set of MIP CVD's for the slash, I bought a set from stormer hobbies, but any shop can get them in. They just came out with these, there made of steel, and will handle the power you have. If you have totally messed up the tranny, just look to ebay for a total replacement. They go for around $40 for the whole box, just unscrew the old one, and stick a new one in.
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:26 PM   #6
MDB
Suspended

Quote:
Sorry i am not gunna by an sc10 even though i would like to. My slash is a racer and basher. It have TONS of mods and over $700 into it and currently running a vxl on 3 cell 30c lipo. When the drivelines broke it was like 60 degrees outside so i dont think that was a problem. Should i buy cvds? Are they worth it?

Don't pay attention to qweed, he is a Traxxas hater.

The Slash has been the best thing to come into r/c. I have owned numorous r/c cars over the years and I have had the most fun with the Slash.

As far as your driveline, I haven't had that problem yet so I do not know what to do.
MDB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:44 PM   #7
Tech Master

Ok witch set do you recommend?

http://cgi.ebay.com/MIP-SLASH-CVD-ki...QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/mip-cvd-for-traxxas-slash/
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Tech Regular

Quote:
Yeah sounds like temp is not the problem. Some like MIP CVD's some don't. I personaly love them and have had great luck with them. They are very tuff but can have a few small problems. The set screw can come loose(just use locktite), they can wear a little faster than the sliding style shafts (everything wears and they sell all the parts separatly) and they will not tollerate xtream angles (just pay attention and put in shock limiter if it is a problem.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:45 PM   #9
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

I heard that the MIP kit for the Slash is has drive shafts that are a little to short. Is that true? I ve read a few post online about it.
yfzracer912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
Tech Regular

Quote:
You need the MIP08106 set, if you look closely the ones on ebay fit a ELECTRIC stampede or rustler the slash set fits a NITRO stampede or NITRO rustler.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:52 PM   #11
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by yfzracer912 View Post
I heard that the MIP kit for the Slash is has drive shafts that are a little to short. Is that true? I ve read a few post online about it.
The slash has a ton of suspension travel and unlike the stock sliders with too much travel the cvd bone can pull out of the outdrive.

I personaly have never used the set for a slash but a few stampedes I had with cvd's needed to have limiters in the shocks to keep the bones in. They would be alright most of the time but traxxas plastic flexxes a lot
Old 02-27-2009, 08:02 PM   #12
Tech Master

I run Losi 8ight shocks on my slash so it is raised quiet a bit. Would i need limiters.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 02-27-2009, 08:10 PM   #13
Tech Regular

Quote:
I run Losi 8ight shocks on my slash so it is raised quiet a bit. Would i need limiters.
I think the only way you will know for sure is to try a set

Report back if you do
Old 02-27-2009, 09:07 PM   #14
Tech Master

Alright i will.
T-maxx O.S .18tm
Old 02-28-2009, 04:52 AM   #15
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

BTW, the new Slash MIP CVD's do not use a set screw. They have you put the pin through the axle/CVD as usual, and then a small plastic retainer ring screws over the pin area. You have to be careful tightening this ring cause it can strip out if over tightened. Looks good when finished. This one you posted with the plastic red retainer ring is the one's I'm refering to: http://www.rcnitrotalk.com/mip-cvd-for-traxxas-slash/
hobbipro is offline   Reply With Quote