R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-26-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)
Default 2 lipos and the AE RC8 conversion

I currently have an RC8 converted with the AE conversion on the way. What I want to know is this kit is designed to use 2 2cell lipos for power. I have 2 Orion 2s 20c 5000mah and want to know how one would charge and balance 2 pack so that they match each other. Do they need to be at the same voltage, if so how can you get them there. On the flip side what happens if they are different as in one is 7.4 and the other 7.35. Would that work, would they even each other out. I have a onyx 230 now that can charge the 2 backs by them selves with no problem, but if I bought another charger capable of charging 4 cells could I run them par. and charge as 1 4 cell if so how would you go about balancing them. I need some help, by the way I have seen the 300 dollar charger that does what I need but I don't really want to spend that much money if I don't have to.
Thanks for the help
Jerry
Jerry Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:55 AM   #2
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 240 (100%+)

Right now, you would need to rig a Y balancing adapter or some sort so you could treat the 2 packs as 1 4S pack when balancing and charging. The two manufacturers I contacted about getting a Y adapter made would not do it do to liability issues. I went with the Hyperion Duo charger instead and it works well. Yes, its costly, but, for 2 packs, thats the only option short of making the harness yourself to charge and balance at the same time.

keep your fingers crossed, maybe someone will look into making a dedicated 4S hardcased 1/10 scale sized lipo.

Last edited by Cain; 02-27-2009 at 08:08 AM.
Cain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 08:01 AM   #3
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to rearviewmirror Send a message via Yahoo to rearviewmirror

I know flight guys are big on equal voltages, but I've not heard it being such a big deal with cars. Definitely run the same pack. I built a series adapter to combine two lipo packs in my starter box, but I still charge them separately. Keep charging/balancing them separately, you'll be fine.

"Straights are for fast cars, curves are for fast drivers...."

8ight-E / 8ight-TE / T4 / Slash
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Coy View Post
I currently have an RC8 converted with the AE conversion on the way. What I want to know is this kit is designed to use 2 2cell lipos for power. I have 2 Orion 2s 20c 5000mah and want to know how one would charge and balance 2 pack so that they match each other. Do they need to be at the same voltage, if so how can you get them there. On the flip side what happens if they are different as in one is 7.4 and the other 7.35. Would that work, would they even each other out. I have a onyx 230 now that can charge the 2 backs by them selves with no problem, but if I bought another charger capable of charging 4 cells could I run them par. and charge as 1 4 cell if so how would you go about balancing them. I need some help, by the way I have seen the 300 dollar charger that does what I need but I don't really want to spend that much money if I don't have to.
Thanks for the help
Jerry
If you always charge each to full capacity you will have no problems. Reedy/AE is releasing a charging harness that will allow you to balance charge both packs as if they were a single pack.

It is actually pretty easy to modify the harnesses that come with the Reedy 35C batteries to accomplish this.
Rick Hohwart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

The Orion packs have the internal bullets for the wires, battery wires are 4mm bullets and the balancer is a 2mm bullet. I have seen a plenty of pics with this set up, I just can't beleive they all have 300 dollar chargers. I'm in it for the fun with my kids not to race. I guess I have some more thinking to do. Any one else?
Jerry
Jerry Coy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Hohwart View Post
If you always charge each to full capacity you will have no problems. Reedy/AE is releasing a charging harness that will allow you to balance charge both packs as if they were a single pack.

It is actually pretty easy to modify the harnesses that come with the Reedy 35C batteries to accomplish this.

Rick,
I have the 35c packs you mentioned, would you be kind enough to tell me how to modify the charge harness?
Cspurlock is offline   Reply With Quote