R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-26-2009, 10:43 AM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)
Default RC8T to SC8? Possible?

I have an RC8T and as a side project was thinking about converting it to an SC8. Is this possible? If so anybody know what all parts is needed?
bigbeej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 01:22 PM   #2
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

It would actually be easier (and possibly cheaper) to take a buggy and convert it to the SC8 since most of the components on the SC8 are from the buggy.

To convert the truggy, you'd need a-arms, camber links, steering links, front/rear shock towers, body mounts and driveshafts in addtition to the SC8 specific stuff like the front/rear bumpers, rollcage, wheels/tires and the body.
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:38 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_B View Post
It would actually be easier (and possibly cheaper) to take a buggy and convert it to the SC8 since most of the components on the SC8 are from the buggy.

To convert the truggy, you'd need a-arms, camber links, steering links, front/rear shock towers, body mounts and driveshafts in addtition to the SC8 specific stuff like the front/rear bumpers, rollcage, wheels/tires and the body.
Ah that's good to know, I was wondering if it was cheaper to start with a buggy platform or the truggy platform to build an SC8 type vehicle. Seems to be greater availability and lower prices for used buggies than truggies.

Is it pretty typical that a buggies suspension components will fit right up to the truggy chassis as long as it is from the same manufacturer (and similar generation)? So really the only components you would really use off the truggy is the chassis and center driveshafts?
DARKWAV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM   #4
Tech Master

I already have the RC8 Truggy so I figured I would slowly try to pick up parts off ebay to eventually convert it. It would be easier with the buggy but I want to work with what I got.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:47 PM   #5
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I did a conversion from truggy to SC truck[kyosho]. If you can find the arms and driveshafts its actually cheaper to swap a truggy to SC truck. When going from buggy to SC truck you need a new chassis, front and rear driveshafts, shocks and body mounts. With the buggy you will have a wheel base that is too short, wrong shocks, wrong towers and wrong body mounts. The sc8 is based off the truggy any ways. All that would be needed is arms, driveshafts for the arms and camber links besides the body, cage, bumpers, wheels and tires. This is a fun class and we get a good turn out with them at my local track. I hope this helps
tech5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:34 AM   #6
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech5 View Post
I did a conversion from truggy to SC truck[kyosho]. If you can find the arms and driveshafts its actually cheaper to swap a truggy to SC truck. When going from buggy to SC truck you need a new chassis, front and rear driveshafts, shocks and body mounts. With the buggy you will have a wheel base that is too short, wrong shocks, wrong towers and wrong body mounts. The sc8 is based off the truggy any ways. All that would be needed is arms, driveshafts for the arms and camber links besides the body, cage, bumpers, wheels and tires. This is a fun class and we get a good turn out with them at my local track. I hope this helps
I thought the SC8 was based more off the RC8 buggy with the same suspension etc..? It's off the truggy?
Old 02-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #7
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Tech 5 is right. SC8 is the truggy with buggy arms. I own one too.
Marzac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:05 AM   #8
Tech Master

Same shock towers as teh truggy? If all I need is arms, shafts, tires/wheels, body, and cage I am doing this real soon.
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
Tech Master

I know it uses the truggy chassis but are the shocks from an RC8 or RC8T? Shock towers?
Old 03-03-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
K_B
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 69 (100%+)

The best way to know for sure is to go here and compare shock part numbers between the truggy and SC8. If the numbers match, then they use the same shocks.

http://67.199.85.166/main/maincatego...nav=off1.8tnav

The shock towers are different because the SC8 uses beefcake body mounts. You could make the truggy front shock tower work possibly, but the body may sit too high. The rear truggy tower may also make the body sit too high. And if you use the buggy towers, you might have a hard time mounting the body securely. Again, the part numbers for the shocks will tell you which suspension geometry it's using; either buggy or truggy.

From a quick scan, it looks as though the buggy and truggy (and therefore, the SC8) use the same shocks?
K_B is offline   Reply With Quote