R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-26-2009, 04:52 PM   #16
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)

It disovles any grease that's that in the hinge(or whatever) and the mineral oil is supposed to carry it to the area needed. Basically trying to recycle the used grease in a watered down form. If there is no grease, the mineral oil is the only lubricant, and doesnt last for squat and does not do well in heat. You WILL get premature wear in your thrust bearing and when it fails, you'll be up a creek. Use a silicone based grease, clean it out often and it will serve you a long time hassle free. I have an LST2 and have seen guys do this and end up trashing the clutch shoes too cause the slipper isnt doing its job anymore. So they toast a 20 dollar set of clutch shoes, possibly the bell, all for what........
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 07:14 PM   #17
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcterp View Post
It's about 50% mineral spirits (solvent) and about 15% mineral oil (lubricant).
and the remaining 35% is hand lotion.
Old 02-26-2009, 08:14 PM   #18
Tech Apprentice

WD-40 is a degreaser not a lube
Old 02-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #19
Tech Elite

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

If you read this other thread he started it may explain the craziness of his usage of WD-40.
http://www.rctech.net/forum/nitro-of...th-scales.html
Old 02-26-2009, 08:43 PM   #20
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

I don't think WD40 is a good solution. I would use a synthetic motor oil before using WD40 although, I don't see what is wrong with black grease....

.:Team Orion : JConcepts : B-Fast RC:.
johnnyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 02:13 AM   #21
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

+1 on the black grease. I usually use the AE Black grease on all my thrust bearing assembly, whether it be an AE, Tamiya, and other vehicles (actually, I use all AE: stealth lube, shock oil, and etc...)

The "WD" in the "WD-40" stands for "Water Displacement" I believe. When the chemical company was looking for a chemical to displace water, they stumbled onto the current formula on their 40th mix, hence the "40" portion of the "WD-40".

Guys, please correct me if I'm spreading some urban legend of some kind... My source is wikipedia, to quote the author of the Wikipedia article on "WD-40":

"

WD-40 is the trademark name of a widely used water-displacing spray commonly sold in hardware stores and other such retail outlets. Developed in 1953 by Norm Larsen, then working for the San Diego Rocket Company, it was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion,[1] and later was found to have numerous household uses.
WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, by displacing the standing water that promotes it. In the process, he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.[1] WD-40 is primarily composed of various hydrocarbons.
"
Old 02-27-2009, 02:48 AM   #22
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_chang79 View Post
+1 on the black grease. I usually use the AE Black grease on all my thrust bearing assembly, whether it be an AE, Tamiya, and other vehicles (actually, I use all AE: stealth lube, shock oil, and etc...)

The "WD" in the "WD-40" stands for "Water Displacement" I believe. When the chemical company was looking for a chemical to displace water, they stumbled onto the current formula on their 40th mix, hence the "40" portion of the "WD-40".

Guys, please correct me if I'm spreading some urban legend of some kind... My source is wikipedia, to quote the author of the Wikipedia article on "WD-40":

"

WD-40 is the trademark name of a widely used water-displacing spray commonly sold in hardware stores and other such retail outlets. Developed in 1953 by Norm Larsen, then working for the San Diego Rocket Company, it was originally designed to repel water and prevent corrosion,[1] and later was found to have numerous household uses.
WD-40 stands for Water Displacement, 40th formula. Larsen was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion, by displacing the standing water that promotes it. In the process, he arrived at a successful formula on his 40th attempt.[1] WD-40 is primarily composed of various hydrocarbons.
"
LOL I don't know about the 40 part but yes I do know the WD does stand for Water Displacement.

As for using it as a lube I don't think I would trust it. I would looked for different lubes before I would use WD-40. But hey if it' working for you, why fix it.
shanty140 is offline   Reply With Quote