R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-25-2009, 10:09 PM   #1
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Li-po Break in

Do any of you guys do a breakin or be easy on the packs for the first couple times? Im going to be buying 5 packs and want to take extra care of them if needed.

Also does anyone do the freezer trick for long term storage at 40% if I remember right?
Old 02-25-2009, 10:12 PM   #2
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 94 (100%+)
Send a message via Yahoo to teeforb

i run them hard. just be careful not to over discharge them and just try to keep them stored at 50% charge... that's about it
teeforb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

There is no 'break in' as far as I know, like teeforb says: whatch the discharge. You usually go easy first few times because you don't know how your batt will perform with the system you have. And it's never good idea to get too close to your cut off point.

You can put the charged batt into a cooler or a freezer but I wouldn't leave it at 50% charged. It's best to store around 3.8v per cell.
verticalpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 05:54 AM   #4
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

The only thing I've seen about breakin for lipo is to avoid getting them hot for the 1st 10-20cycles. Plane guys used to use a diff propeller to put less of a load on their lipos for this initial period. Not sure thats needed anymore, but I wouldn't be running one hot when its brand new. A good setup shouldn't make batts run hot anyway.
Duster_360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:36 AM   #5
Tech Adept

i would be more concerned about the number of packs, (5 for one car?) than breaking them in or long term storage in a freezer. lipos go bad in about 2 years no matter how well u take care of them and every 6 months they come up with better and cheaper cells. u can more easily get your moneys worth out of your cells if u use them up every day and get allota cycles out of them than running once a week 52 cycles a year or 104 cycles in two years
2dialed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:39 AM   #6
Tech Regular

Well it would be 3 for each car for continous run time. I already have 1, so 5 more.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:13 AM   #7
Tech Adept

yeah i guess out here in socal i've only seen 1 hour mains at the big races. if your good enough to qualify for the expert amain then i suppose u need that many to go an hour long main. sportsman class tend to be shorter
Old 02-26-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I've heard a rumors that there are some special chemicals inside the LiPo that help to preserve/stock it before using. During first cycles the chemicals "go out". So it would be good to cycle them with low current couple of times.

I have no proof of it and like I said its only a rumor that I've heard.

But it can't hurt to cycle them a few times with low amperage. You'll also spot defective cells this way if there are any.
lauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #9
Tech Adept

I remember thunder power had a recommendation of going easy on the packs for the first seven cycles, basically not going to burst amperage. That was some years ago and I know the technology has changed quite a bit. I try to adhere to this and have had very few problems. The one thing I have read per several battery manufacturers and some magazines, long term storage is to discharge the packs to around 80% (there are specific voltages depending on the amount of cells) Store below in a cool dry place (not in your freezer).
New batteries are holding up a lot better than 2 years but they do lose capacity down to around 80% after that time and about 500-1000 cycles depending on care of the packs.
dhc8guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 PM   #10
Tech Adept

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhc8guru View Post
I remember thunder power had a recommendation of going easy on the packs for the first seven cycles, basically not going to burst amperage. That was some years ago and I know the technology has changed quite a bit. I try to adhere to this and have had very few problems. The one thing I have read per several battery manufacturers and some magazines, long term storage is to discharge the packs to around 80% (there are specific voltages depending on the amount of cells) Store below in a cool dry place (not in your freezer).
Quote:
New batteries are holding up a lot better than 2 years but they do lose capacity down to around 80% after that time and about 500-1000 cycles
depending on care of the packs.
not sure how u can say a new battery can last alot better than two years if they haven't been in service for two years. it's the first generation blue stripe thunder power batteries 8-10c batteries that have proven to last more than two years.i've never heard of an extreme series lasting that long. 500-1000 cycles may be possible if your discharging at 1c in a transmitter application but if your only charging every couple of three weeks two years will go by before u even get to 100 cycles. the original poster who started this thread never said if it was a 4s high amp draw application or a 5 or 6s high voltage application. i haven't seen charlie wang post on these public forums in quite a while but maybe one of his employee's will see this thread a shed some light
Old 02-26-2009, 04:26 PM   #11
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

well, there is a break in for lipos, whether or not you do it is up to you. I just bought batteries for a helicopter and a couple of thunder power lipos for my car and they all have break in instructions included.

basically, first couple of runs don't run them low or over stress them and keep the heat down.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 PM   #12
Tech Adept

Cycle your packs when you first get them. Cycle them at least 3 times at low rates. Charge at .5C and discharge at no more 3C-5C. They will be cooler on next runs.
vlad_vy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:41 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I know I asked this question in some lipo thread awhile ago, and never got a solid answer. Maybe we could get one of the bigger lipo guys to come in here and answer it. What I do know is that I was always told to "break in" my packs for my helicopter. I did this by charging normally, for me that is 1c, and just hovering the first cycle followed by a couple of cycles with basic flight on basic throttle curve. After that the gloves come off, put it to 100% flat curve and hope not to crash
trilerian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 11:43 AM   #14
Tech Regular

I have a heli also and did like your saying. Maybe because the helis draw so much more power we have to do a break in session or the packs are put to the max right away. In the 1/8 scale we arent pushing the packs that hard so its like breakin the whole time we are driving.
Old 02-27-2009, 02:20 PM   #15
Tech Adept

I eventally got smart with breaking in my Lipos on my heli's. Make a Model copy in your radio, call it something like helilipo. Make a pitch/ power curve that is something that tops out at 25% power and pitch curve that is a flat
-3°. Or the other way is to temporarily set your throttle hold to 25%/-3°. Fire up the heli, throw the throttle hold and sit back and have a drink.
Now that chargers have gotten so good, you could just cycle them on a charger. 2amp charge, 2 amp discharge(something like that), your basically simulating doing an easy run on a vehicle.

Well it seems everyone can agree. Breaking them in easy for atleast a few cycles increase battery life.
dhc8guru is offline   Reply With Quote