R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #1
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Slash VXL Motor Running hot on 6cell?!

Hey,
I've had a slash for about a year, and got a VXL system recently, plopped it in the truck and have been running 18/86, which is the stock gearing. The weird thing is that, even with a stupid 6cell I'm getting temps with the motor that I can hardly touch for 3 seconds, which, apparently, is the safety limit. I've also been running it with an Intellect 4600 7cell, and getting around the same temps(I don't have a temp gun). It may be because of my right rear axle which has burnt fishing line wrapped around between the left rear hub and hex(long story), but that's all I can think of.
So if you can tell me whats going on, it'd be... great.

Slash 4x4 and one 2WD Slash.
Lawso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #2
Tech Initiate

lol
lawso beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Tech Champion

R/C Tech Elite Subscriber

Trader Rating: 302 (100%+)

1. Get a temp gun, if the temp is under 200f you're safe, some people are panzys and can't hold their thumb on a surface that's 120 degrees even though that'd be considered running cold.
2. Slap Lawso Beater around (although he looks like he'd enjoy that)
3. Download the Stampede VXL Manual and gear one pinion higher than that as the Slash tyres have a smaller diameter.
4. Slap Lawso Beater around again

Don't worry about what I'm doing.
Worry about why you're worried about what I'm doing.

"Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity."

nexxus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 05:51 AM   #4
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 44 (100%+)

check to see if you have a bind in the transmission...on 6 cells even with stock gearing it should'nt get hot or even warm for that matter...or so I'd think
NitroLuver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:10 AM   #5
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

You'll need a temp gun to have any real idea if it's running hot or not. I use one of these for $25: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXEMG5&P=ML

Get that fishing line off the axle too. Even if your temps are fine you don't want that there, it cut damage your bearings at the very least. Also I'd guess that 18 is a bit much on the pinion, try more like 14. That's what I use on a Stampede VXL, and the Slash is quite a bit heavier. When you said that's the stock gearing, it's the stock gearing for a Slash running the Titan brushed motor.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #6
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Also check to make sure neither of the motor bearings are seized, that will heat things up in a hurry.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:49 AM   #7
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 84 (100%+)

I had to "Gear up" for my VXL brushless setup in a slash (21 or 20 tooth pinion to the stock 86 tooth spur). Novak warns the user in several times not to run their motor (brushless) "unbound". if it revs to fast it will heat up. With the 20 tooth pinion mine gets warm, but not untouchable (although much warmer than a Titan) and the speed/acceleration was double the Titan.

Tim
TimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:41 PM   #8
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Woah, thanks for all the suggestions, I'll try to get that fishing line off and look around for a temp gun. Isn't gearing the pinion up giving it less torque and more speed, which is putting more pressure on the motor? I might gear down but I'd also like to do something with my spur aswell, so that I don't lose much of the speed. I'll be going back to the stock setup(XL-5) this weekend when I have time, because theres a race on the weekend after that. I might take a look at the diff, but I'm someone who can take things apart, and get stuck putting it back together. I guess that you'd have to take the rear stuff off the chassis to do that?

~Lawso

(I'll slap lawso beater in two weeks, its on my reminder thing on my phone)

Slash 4x4 and one 2WD Slash.
Lawso is offline   Reply With Quote