Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED >

Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED

Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED

Old 05-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrxrocks
Should I cry now. My mamba moster esc just caught fire after only two minutes of running. I just finished converting my Losi Muggy from nitro

And yes i used Zippy (two 3s). But I have been using the same zippy packs with my savage flux for about 20 runs and they have been perfect. I also have use the same packs with my mamba max with 5700kv about 10 runs. So how does CC explain that? I will give them a call soon and hope to get it fix/replace. I think cc must stand by their products. It a good business practice to replace esc instead of losing customers.
What motor? what gearing? thats alot of power, to high kv motor and I could see problems and in a fairly heavy truck, 6s is alot power even with the right motor. just wondering.
Old 05-25-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Rookie

my gearing is 13 pinion and 44 spure. The motor is 2200kv, that I bought as a combo. There should not be smoke coming out of the esc. I said cc needs to come clean on this matter.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:05 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

Should I cry now. My mamba moster esc just caught fire after only two minutes of running. I just finished converting my Losi Muggy from nitro

And yes i used Zippy (two 3s). But I have been using the same zippy packs with my savage flux for about 20 runs and they have been perfect. I also have use the same packs with my mamba max with 5700kv about 10 runs. So how does CC explain that? I will give them a call soon and hope to get it fix/replace. I think cc must stand by their products. It a good business practice to replace esc instead of losing customers.
my gearing is 13 pinion and 44 spure. The motor is 2200kv, that I bought as a combo. There should not be smoke coming out of the esc. I said cc needs to come clean on this matter.

Thank you for my laugh today! If you dont know why you smoked your esc then maybe you should try doing some research before you put your components into service. Amazing that guys like you want to blame castle for your ignorance. Sorry to be so blunt.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:35 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Jube
Thank you for my laugh today! If you dont know why you smoked your esc then maybe you should try doing some research before you put your components into service. Amazing that guys like you want to blame castle for your ignorance. Sorry to be so blunt.
On what was he ignorant?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
On what was he ignorant?
3.38 gear ratio is something you see in a touring car...

That's pretty tall... Unless there's a LOT of gear reduction in the transmission/diffs.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by R40Victim
On what was he ignorant?
6s w/ 2200kv in a 12lb vehicle? What part of that combo sounds safe for electronics to you?
Old 05-25-2009, 04:01 PM
Tech Champion

wrxrocks, what vehicle is this in? I'm running a 12/48 in my Jammin truggy, problem free. 13/44 isn't much taller, for an 8th scale buggy/truggy. The stock 8ight E comes with a 2100 Kv motor geared 15/45. So before you guys belittle him, lets figure out where he went wrong, or even if he did. I was beginning to think you guys blamed the failure on his Zippy pack.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:02 PM
Tech Master

6s w/ 2200kv in a 12lb vehicle? What part of that combo sounds safe for electronics to you?
Well... It does... But you need way lower gear ratios...

At least 4... So a 12T pinion and 50T spur.... Preferably the biggest spur and smallest pinion you can get away with.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:10 PM
Tech Elite

It says in his post his vehicle is a converted Losi Muggy which weighs almost 12lbs. He is running a 2200KV motor on 6 cells. Now to me that is not a safe, reliable combo. At some point we as consumers have got to start taking some responsibility for our actions. When we decide to push the limits then we need to be prepared to suffer the consiquences for such actions and not cry about how CC has not built a good product.

Im really not picking on this one guy here, Im only using him as an example for some of the stupid stuff I've read about, including this episode.

Then again I'm usually an ass that says stuff when I shouldn't so feel free to pass me off as bad gas!
Old 05-25-2009, 04:18 PM
Tech Champion

It says in his post his vehicle is a converted Losi Muggy which weighs almost 12lbs. He is running a 2200KV motor on 6 cells. Now to me that is not a safe, reliable combo. At some point we as consumers have got to start taking some responsibility for our actions. When we decide to push the limits then we need to be prepared to suffer the consiquences for such actions and not cry about how CC has not built a good product.

Im really not picking on this one guy here, Im only using him as an example for some of the stupid stuff I've read about, including this episode.

Then again I'm usually an ass that says stuff when I shouldn't so feel free to pass me off as bad gas!
LOL, I missed that part. I thought we were talking about some other car. The Castle system DOES advertise being for Monster Trucks, so I don't think he was all that ignorant for putting together what he did. And unless the internal gearing for the Muggy is dramatically different than other 8th scales, his gearing wasn't that far off either. True, he should've asked advice before completing it with that gear. But the system is advertised as being able to handle Monster Trucks... AFAIK, most MTs are in that weight range.

You're correct though; I, having researched the HELL outta brushless 8th scale, would've geared much more conservative. But this is relatively new territory we're covering here, so there's bound to be a few hard lessons learned.

Let's just see if we can help him get his investment going again.
Old 05-25-2009, 04:40 PM
Tech Elite

I guess the part that throws the red flag for me is the 6s pack. Thats alot of voltage. I had a 2200 CC combo and that thing was a monster on 4s, cant imagine 6s.

Im done. I shouldnt have said a thing.

Last edited by Jube; 05-25-2009 at 06:21 PM. Reason: typo
Old 05-25-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

I guess the part that throws the red flag for me is the 6s pack. Thats alot of voltage. I had a 22oo CC combo and that thing was a monster on 4s, cant imagine 6s.

Im done. I shouldnt have said a thing.
+1, I'm not an expert on this stuff, but from what I've read it sounds like it needs a much lower kv motor, the esc is rated for 6s, I don't know about a 2200 kv motor.
Old 05-25-2009, 10:14 PM
Tech Rookie

OK guys I take it all back. I just went and recounted my spur gear. It has 46 teeth. I doublchecked. So 13/46 is not tall at all.
if I run 10/46 I don't think it is drivable because 13/46 does wheelie on demand. The stock nitro had never done any wheelie. BTW the nitro stock also run 13/46 and later Losi sells the Muggy with 12/46. I think 13/46 is reasonable. I checked my temp right before the esc smoked/fired up. The motor show about 120 and esc about 100, then two laps later all I see was smoke then fire.

The HPI flux has 44 teeth spur, I was confused.

My point is Zippy is good enough for HPI savage flux with twin 3s. The flux has the same esc as v3. May be I am just lucky with the flux but not with the v3. The two trucks weigh about the same.

I just run a Flux again with twin 3s about 4 hours ago without any problems. The muggy is down but the Savage flux is still going around 60mph. I'll run it again tomorrow with twin 3s and we'll see.

One more thing, the final Front/Rear Differential Gear Ratio is 4.1 to 1 and it has direct drive with center diff.

Last edited by wrxrocks; 05-25-2009 at 10:58 PM.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:36 AM
Tech Master

OK guys I take it all back. I just went and recounted my spur gear. It has 46 teeth. I doublchecked. So 13/46 is not tall at all.
if I run 10/46 I don't think it is drivable because 13/46 does wheelie on demand. The stock nitro had never done any wheelie. BTW the nitro stock also run 13/46 and later Losi sells the Muggy with 12/46. I think 13/46 is reasonable. I checked my temp right before the esc smoked/fired up. The motor show about 120 and esc about 100, then two laps later all I see was smoke then fire.

The HPI flux has 44 teeth spur, I was confused.

My point is Zippy is good enough for HPI savage flux with twin 3s. The flux has the same esc as v3. May be I am just lucky with the flux but not with the v3. The two trucks weigh about the same.

I just run a Flux again with twin 3s about 4 hours ago without any problems. The muggy is down but the Savage flux is still going around 60mph. I'll run it again tomorrow with twin 3s and we'll see.

One more thing, the final Front/Rear Differential Gear Ratio is 4.1 to 1 and it has direct drive with center diff.
That's odd... It's definitely not a gear issue, with a 4.1:1 ratio... Or, at least, it shouldn't be.
Old 05-26-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by drperry
That's odd... It's definitely not a gear issue, with a 4.1:1 ratio... Or, at least, it shouldn't be.
This is the part with the Zippy Haters come out the woodwork to say, "You foolish cheap battery buying fool!" C'mon, I know you're out there!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.