Wiki Posts
Search

Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 04:04 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ghouck
there's no reason they can't put out an honest warning.
Sure there is... If something still goes wrong then they can't blame anything else, right?

Car companies are the same way, if you modify something... Unless you can prove exatcly what did or didn't cause it, the company isn't going to take the blame.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Angry Zippy LiPo's will smoke your ESC

I plugged a Zippy LiPo 5000mah 11.1volt and once the connections came in contact with each other sparks went flying and now my ESC is junk on a BRANDNEW E-REVO BRUSHLESS.

So word from caslte creations tech department is ZIPPY and LOSI lipo packs are junk. This weekend my buddy was running his losi 8ight T with a castle creations Mamba Monster 2200 combo with a ZIPPY 25-30c 4s 5000mah pack. Truggy was running fine till simply seized up on him down the straight. At first he thought he lost a driveline with the way it stopped. He pulled the truggy off the track popped the lid of checked the wires,drivelines and motor etc... nothing was bound up and everything looked good, he hit the gas and BAM the whole damn speed controller lit up like a smoke bomb.

So today after speaking with the tech they informed him that ZIPPY packs are junk and should not be used with their products. They said the pack surged and blew a capaciter which is why the car shut down and when he gave it gas again it surged and fried the ESC. They claim the zippy packs are total junk but they are not allowed to say anything to consumers in their packaging.

So if this holds true here is the way I look at it. You will need to pony up 280 and up for 1 good lipo pack, you get MAX 20 min run times and these packs take over an hour to charge so you will need minimum 3 packs per vehicle you run.

I think im going back to nitro. [/QUOTE]
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am not defending or bashing Zippy. I have not personally used there products. I do however have a problem with your math.

Not everyone is a basher so 3 packs minimal is not true across the board.
Not to mention your assuming everyone is using 1 battery. There are different combination's of batteries. I run 2 2s in series.

Not everyone uses the same charger and same capacity batteries.
With the right charger and batts you can charge @2c.

Your math is just too general.

Sorry about your ESC. In this hobby you have to be very careful where you try to save money if you are on a budget. If you are on budget then you are in for a big surprise if you ever decide to race competitively.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Hmm, I gotta call BS again. I have the SAME SETUP, using both Losi AND Zippy packs. It's been SIX MONTHS, and my truck works PERFECTLY. There's nothing wrong with Zippy packs, but I've been disappointed in my Losi pack. In my opinion, the Zippies are better than the Losi packs.

So go ahead, blow your $$$ "Name Brand" batteries. The rest of us will end up with 2-3 times as many batteries, and continue to race while you sit and wait for your fewer expensive batteries to charge.

I have 3 Zippy packs now, a Rhino 4S 4900($60), a Rhino 5S 4900($70), and a Lightmax 2S 4000($27) in a hard case. I also have a 50W turnigy charger($37), and a new 250W I-charger($110). ALL of it works PERFECTLY, and I saved a TON of $$!

If everyone avoided an entire line of products based on a few failures, NOBODY would buy ANYTHING!

I'd also like to give a loud STFU to the Castle Staff that keeps bashing Zippy. They're just plain wrong, and should replace your defective ESC for free.
Old 05-21-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Unless they specifically say, in their packaging, or in the manual, that you can't use a brand of battery... They should have to replace it, as they give no warning that you can't use that particular battery.
Old 05-21-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)

i agree with R40, i have 4 zippy packs, one i have been using almost 2 years, they all work fine, i too will not buy enerland unless i get them at a really good price, the cheap battery blowing up a speedo is a poor excuse imo, how come you can run nihm on the MM AND NOTHING HAPPENS?
Old 05-22-2009, 05:07 AM
Tech Adept

I have been reading through this very long thread and have to say that in 1/8th conversions we are working on the limits of battery, esc and motors and they are all in a very harsh environment as well. It is amazing how they have got the esc so small and be able to handle such high power consumption.

I understand that there are some cheaper Lipo packs available but I have certainly seen in the 1/10th market that even though the cells of certain packs are the same as ones in other brands of pack the prices can vary greatly. But a common thing I am seeing at the moment is that the average pack cost is increasing so that all the packs are in the same ball park.

It has been mentioned about the voltage build up under coasting and or braking but I was wondering if using a clutch system such as the Tekno V3 kit avoids this issue. It makes sense to me as in flight the motor is not really asked to put the brakes on but will sometimes coast to a slower RPM but wondered what other people think?
Old 05-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Tech Regular

Guys been having wet dreams for the Mamba Monster. This thread is scaring me regarding the speed control. I have read else that the Monster speedcontrols are not the best around. Are we saying that theres a problem. Battery spikes will always be there, the speedcontrol must acomadate for this. A manufacturer cannot blame the power sources. The power sources must be accomodated for.

So please let me know is it a problem with the monsters blowing Speedcontrols?
Old 05-22-2009, 07:31 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AmiSMB
I have been reading through this very long thread and have to say that in 1/8th conversions we are working on the limits of battery, esc and motors and they are all in a very harsh environment as well. It is amazing how they have got the esc so small and be able to handle such high power consumption.

I understand that there are some cheaper Lipo packs available but I have certainly seen in the 1/10th market that even though the cells of certain packs are the same as ones in other brands of pack the prices can vary greatly. But a common thing I am seeing at the moment is that the average pack cost is increasing so that all the packs are in the same ball park.

It has been mentioned about the voltage build up under coasting and or braking but I was wondering if using a clutch system such as the Tekno V3 kit avoids this issue. It makes sense to me as in flight the motor is not really asked to put the brakes on but will sometimes coast to a slower RPM but wondered what other people think?
Actually, they aren't. You can find MUCH better deals on Batteries right here:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp

So please let me know is it a problem with the monsters blowing Speedcontrols?
I don't believe so, at least in the case of the Castle Systems. I've had one, as well as an Xcelerin system. I ran both about the same amount of time, till the Xcelerin failed, again and again(read through my posts in the 8ight E thread). There are a few other brushless 8th scale locals, and we've all had the same experience. The Losi and Novak 8th scale systems have been abysmal failures, but the Castle system has been a DREAM to own. Fast, Efficient, and RELIABLE!
Old 05-22-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 31 (100%+)

I use zippys in my rc's from 18th- 1oth scale they do perform better than some of the pricey lipos ive bought. the most recent battery is a zippy 2500 20C 2s lipo, i have it in a drift car with the sidewinder 5700kv which is pretty much always at full throttle and it's still going strong now just like the first day i ran it.

also ive had venom lipo's smoke a sidewinder micro esc out of of thin air i paid $40 for that lipo, i now have two zippy packs that are 50mah's higher 1300mah to be exact $16.98 total for two batts that have lasted longer and perform way better than venoms i bought.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Actually, they aren't. You can find MUCH better deals on Batteries right here:

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_index.asp
I think that you misunderstand me as I was talking about the price of legal 1/10th batteries for use in the UK so they would have to be BRCA/EFRA approved which I found 3 of my lipos to be illegal due to that fact that they are not on the list! It seems to me in the UK prices are to think o how much a set of really good matched NiMH cells cost which could be arounf £60 and then add anywhere between £10 - £40 quid on top. I think that is a bit of a sting seeing as I can buy perfectly decent value packs in the UK for £45 but they just are not legal but even this manufacturer has been guilty of bumping up the price to equal that of the competitors.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:22 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by AmiSMB
I think that you misunderstand me as I was talking about the price of legal 1/10th batteries for use in the UK so they would have to be BRCA/EFRA approved which I found 3 of my lipos to be illegal due to that fact that they are not on the list! It seems to me in the UK prices are to think o how much a set of really good matched NiMH cells cost which could be arounf £60 and then add anywhere between £10 - £40 quid on top. I think that is a bit of a sting seeing as I can buy perfectly decent value packs in the UK for £45 but they just are not legal but even this manufacturer has been guilty of bumping up the price to equal that of the competitors.
Ah, I see. Man, that's frustrating. They set the rules to help decline the hobby? That seems silly to me. Oh well, there IS a 10th scale hard pack on that site... less than $30 U.S.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...25C_Car_Lipoly

We have two of them, and they work GREAT! It made our 19T trucks feel brand new again! More power than the Nimhs we had, and allot less weight.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:39 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Ah, I see. Man, that's frustrating. They set the rules to help decline the hobby? That seems silly to me. Oh well, there IS a 10th scale hard pack on that site... less than $30 U.S.

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...25C_Car_Lipoly

We have two of them, and they work GREAT! It made our 19T trucks feel brand new again! More power than the Nimhs we had, and allot less weight.
I have to agree, the ZIPPY packs are fantastic for the money. I've used them in everything for my crawlers to my BL Slash basher.
Old 05-22-2009, 12:49 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by everyjuangohome
So word from caslte creations tech department is ZIPPY and LOSI lipo packs are junk.

So today after speaking with the tech they informed him that ZIPPY packs are junk and should not be used with their products. They said the pack surged and blew a capaciter which is why the car shut down and when he gave it gas again it surged and fried the ESC. They claim the zippy packs are total junk but they are not allowed to say anything to consumers in their packaging.

I think im going back to nitro.
I use zippy 2s and 3s with my castle motor and esc and have had zero trouble. I dont believe they told you that they werent "ALLOWED" to make recommendations for their own product. I cant prove they did or didnt but thats my opinion. I you called zippy and complained to them I am sure you would see them pushing the blame also in saying something like " We are sorry sir it was a faulty speed controller that caused the meltdown not our batteries." I think you are just SOL if neither party wants to own up to the damage. It sucks but thats how it goes sometimes.
Old 05-24-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Rookie

Should I cry now. My mamba moster esc just caught fire after only two minutes of running. I just finished converting my Losi Muggy from nitro

And yes i used Zippy (two 3s). But I have been using the same zippy packs with my savage flux for about 20 runs and they have been perfect. I also have use the same packs with my mamba max with 5700kv about 10 runs. So how does CC explain that? I will give them a call soon and hope to get it fix/replace. I think cc must stand by their products. It a good business practice to replace esc instead of losing customers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.