Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED >

Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED

Castle Mamba Monster + Zippy Lipo's = SMOKED

Old 05-26-2009, 09:59 AM
Tech Rookie

I did a calculation for the ratio of motor to wheel turns using 13t pinion with 46t spur. It 14.48 to 1, which means 14.48 revolutions of the motor will complete 1 turn of the wheels on the ground. Please don't tell me that the ratio of 14.48 to 1 made the esc smoked/fired up.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:11 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by wrxrocks View Post
I did a calculation for the ratio of motor to wheel turns using 13t pinion with 46t spur. It 14.48 to 1, which means 14.48 revolutions of the motor will complete 1 turn of the wheels on the ground. Please don't tell me that the ratio of 14.48 to 1 made the esc smoked/fired up.
It should not have smoked. Return it for a replacement.
Old 05-26-2009, 01:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

If my Mamba 5700s and Mamba Max can move my Clodbuster on NiMh packs.... Which weighs in at about 10 - 12lbs...

Heck, even on 12 cells and in 2WD, I've had no issues!
Old 06-05-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
This is the part with the Zippy Haters come out the woodwork to say, "You foolish cheap battery buying fool!" C'mon, I know you're out there!
Zippy SUCK,SUCK,SUCK Lol J/K if it wasn't for the zippy packs I would have never converted. No way in Hell was I going to pay $200 a pack X 3 or more...
Old 06-05-2009, 03:31 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

this is from another thread but thought would be more useful here....

goo around the case halves and were the wires come out. And another nice thing to do for 1/8th is put a piece of thick foam under the ESC and then use zip ties.... some guys are also putting foam inside under the board because the internal UBEC is right on the bottom and WILL start to fall apart over time do to hard landings. This is all for the MMM
Old 06-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 43 (100%+)

For all you Zippy haters.......

I watched a MMMv3 let the magic smoke out today with none other than an SMC 4s 5400mah hooked to it. Now not in any way am I implying that the SMC had anything to do with it but what I'm sayin is..... Shit Happens.
Old 06-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yup, when people make a boo boo, then cost themselves several hundred $$, it only makes sense they'd try to blame someone else.

Yes, if you have a Castle ESC, PAD IT! I just cut off a piece of a beer koozie for mine. A zip tie that is secure enough to keep it from falling off, but not so much that it compresses the foam beyond its ability to absorb shock.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

how long does it really take to charge the losi 5000 4 cell on an ice with an inline balancer?

whats the avg run time with the 15 t pinion on a big track?

do you cycle this batt?the losi 2 cells i use to run in pan car i would just charge,use and keep re-charging and never had a problem.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:55 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by everyjuangohome View Post
Totally agree with what you are saying. One of the reasons we bought the zippy packs was all the rave reviews I have read about them on here. CC says those are the biggest capacitors they can put on the ESC. 200 bucks and up for a batt pack and needing at least 3 per vehicle, simply is not easy on the wallet. Yes nitro is $$$ but not alot more reliable than this has been so far.
You know I agree with you totally truggies are hard on batteries and 30C lipos just wont cut it, you should always run (for racing applications that is) the highest "C" rating available for the Mah size that will fit in you RC car or Truck, I have a novak HV system and would get pretty hot until I added some high voltage caps from novak(they sell them and are called 4S-6S caps) soldered 4 of them in parallel along with the 4S-6S trans cap n board and now my ESC runs cooler , has more punch and can even handle a 2S+3S combo for the speed runs I do, and novak ESCs aren't rated for 5S !!! the caps, are 35v caps and are readily available from novak, ok back to the Zippy packs I havent heard of voltage spikes from lipo's ruining ESC's I heard of Crappy ESC's not being able to handle the amp load that is put on them, thats for sure! for instance if you get some good 50C venoms (like I just bought cause they are rated at 50C cont.) throw them in a truggy with a low gear ratio on a C.C. MMM with say they're 2650kv motor and the stock caps you def. have a good chance of melting the ESC!! If your like my buddy and try using a novak 5000kv motor with a C.C. MMM ESC with the stock caps and 50C 5000mah lipos you will burn the ESC everytime no matter how many caps you add necause the ESC wasnt made to handle that kind of amp load! I've been running zippy's for months now and have had no problems what so ever with them, but I use a 40C ones and the biggest I can fit in the RC18Lm(1800mah x 40C = 72 amps !!! what min motor can pull 72 amps ??), RC18T2, and RC18R's they hardly get warm on a 90+ degree day unlike the motors of these beasts and I gear them for speed. nuff said