R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 02-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #1
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 115 (100%+)
Default HELP! Can't Decide - 1/8th Electric or 1/10 Stadium Truck

Wants to start by saying I am new to the forum but not new to RC racing. I started 17 years ago in 10th scale off road indoors Canton, OH and then to carpet oval in Akron, OH. I live now in Scottsdale, AZ and there is a very nice track called SRS (Home of the Cactus Electric race next month).

I have been debating for weeks over a 1/8th scale Electric conversion BUGGY or a 1/10th scale XXXTCR with a Brushless 10.5 (they have a nice class of both). The 10th seems cool because the price is way better and the batteries easier on the pocket but the cars seem to be a lil soft and break. The 8th scale are significantly more but the class looks fun with some nice competition but not too crazy. The track is certainly built more toward the 1/10th scales but the 8th have no issues...

Well, today I made the purchase for a Hot Bodies 1/8th scale D8 with a Tekno electric conversion, Mamba V3 and motor with a hi torque titanium gear Hitec servo, clear body, painted body, wheels tires and some extra parts (drive shafts, rebuild kits, wheel nuts). I am in a bind though thinking of selling it to get a 1/10th scale truck because my local track is closing for almost a month (to 8th scale only) because they just built a new track for the Cactus Classic and they don't want it damaged by the large buggies.

I want to run this thing, but I am not a back yard basher as much as I like to race... I guess I picked a bad time to get this, I really like the looks and the parts and the price.

My question do I keep the Hot Bodies or sell it for a electric truck?

I thought I would post some pics. Any feedback about what it will need let me know (I like the cf front and rear towers might have to grab those at least)

hemi4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

You are all set. just get a Zippy 5s from www.hobbycity.com and you are ready to rock!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0mAh_5S1P_30C_

ARCS Hobbies / Paint Monster Airbrushing / BFast / Tonys Screws
badassrevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:10 PM   #3
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by badassrevo View Post
You are all set. just get a Zippy 5s from www.hobbycity.com and you are ready to rock!

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...0mAh_5S1P_30C_
Thank you!

Only $100.00? I thought those were like $250 they must have come down lately?

I guess my problem is waiting to race... The other problem is all the work involved with diffs and keeping that thing ready to race! So much going on in that car!

Other thing, I prolly could not afford a whole new 8th scale with all the quality parts like this has with the servo motor and speedo
Old 02-22-2009, 10:13 PM   #4
Tech Elite

There is "no" maintenance compared to a 1/10th truck.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #5
Tech Elite

Wait to you run it. You will never get rid of it!

Old 02-22-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

The Zippy lipos are beating the pants off everyone in price, and they are good performers too. Unfortunately, because of that they are out of stock for a few weeks.

If you have somewhere good to run the electric 1/8, I'd stick with that. They are so much more fun to drive in my opnion, and a lot more durable. There is a bit of maintenance as you mentioned with the diffs, but it's not really bad once you've done it a few times. With the increased durability I think it's a great trade off, you won't be replacing parts as often.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Tech Master

From what it looks like and sounds like, I should consider waiting it out... Even tho not being able to race till march 20 something after the Cactus.

Patience is not my strong suit. I need to get batteries and a charge anyway...

This class looks to be the one growing also.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TMR CHASSIS

Paul, right?
Any way keep the 1/8 you will like it a lot better than the truck. I run a RC8E at SRS and it's a blast! Yes you won't be able to run at SRS for few weeks but you can always take a trip to Tucson and run or even the nitro pit.

KEEP IT!!!! Class is on it's way up!
Old 02-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #9
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 11 (92%+)

I feel confident that this class will have an explosive growth this year and might be the most popular class as early as next year. It took awhile for the group here to get enough people together to have a regular class separate from the nitros, and since then LOTS of people have been seriously looking.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:33 PM   #10
Tech Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR CHASSIS View Post
Paul, right?
Any way keep the 1/8 you will like it a lot better than the truck. I run a RC8E at SRS and it's a blast! Yes you won't be able to run at SRS for few weeks but you can always take a trip to Tucson and run or even the nitro pit.

KEEP IT!!!! Class is on it's way up!
I had a feeling everyone would say that I should keep it! What are your thoughts on the D8? Guess if I wanted to play around I could always keep the electronics, sell the roller and get something new to pass the time hahahah ... I wouldnt mind the trip to Tucson, That track at the pit is scary not sure I have ever laid eyes on a track that HUGE.

How is the Tucson group and is the track ok? Maybe I will have to see if a few friends want to make the trip there.
Old 02-22-2009, 10:46 PM   #11
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to TMR CHASSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemi4me View Post
I had a feeling everyone would say that I should keep it! What are your thoughts on the D8? Guess if I wanted to play around I could always keep the electronics, sell the roller and get something new to pass the time hahahah ... I wouldnt mind the trip to Tucson, That track at the pit is scary not sure I have ever laid eyes on a track that HUGE.

How is the Tucson group and is the track ok? Maybe I will have to see if a few friends want to make the trip there.
Pit is big but looks fun. Tucson CH is indoors we might be able to get few guys to run electric down there. Hobby Town is down there also not sure on it though.

If your not going to run the Cactus just chill and get your battery for 1/8 and be ready when they open SRS back up after Cactus.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:59 AM   #12
Tech Elite

There is nothing wrog with the D8, the car drives great parts are super cheap and it is the current WORLD CHAMP!

Old 02-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #13
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 15 (100%+)
Default 1/8th electric

Man I love truck, I had 3 running at once, but parted two out once I got the 1/8th scale. Tons of fun and fairly easy to run once you've dialed it all in properly. Let someone with knowledge about the D8 run it for the set up factor and then let another 1/8th scaler run it for the electronics set up.

I run a Losi 8 and I set up the speed control with no drag brake and that seems to have made the biggest difference for me.
uncle everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:19 AM   #14
Tech Master

I was wondering about the mechanical brake... Is that a must have on a short track?
Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 AM   #15
Tech Elite

No, but your getting into a never ending battle. try like it is first you will be fine if you are from an electric back round.